Wednesday, August 7, 2024

Tony and Cleop Act Two Scene Two Sub-Scene Three

 

Act Two

Scene Two

Sub-Scene Three

Marriage is the decider.

 

The mood eased then, and it was the turn of Agrippa to speak. He was no stranger to the Consuls, having served loyally to the two previous and current Caesar. He was an older man, and with three generations in his family, he kept his words brief. When he does speak, he means it well. Even Caesar may disagree, but he may take it into consideration. He had hung his guns ten years ago and did the planning of hits with the younger boys.

“Give me permission to speak, Caesar.” Agrippa looked at the boss.

“You may speak, Agrippa.” Caesar does not appreciate it if he is told that he is wrong. He leaned back on the chair.

“Marriage is one option. You will not shoot your own family members, including the ones you considered in-laws.”

“Agrippa, I shot mine.” Enobarbus cut in.

“You did because he was to shoot you for killing his sister, who was your wife.”

“I did and shot the tailor’s brother, her lover. That ended their generation.” Enobarbus smiled. “End game.”

“Marriage has been a way of creating alliances. Kings and Emperors did that for ages.” Agrippa continued.

“Fucking incest in some,” Enobarbus could not resist the punchline on Cleop.

“You have a half-sister on your mother's side, the admired Octavia. Great Mark Antony is now a widower.” Agrippa laid down the proposal. 

“Do not say that, Agrippa. If the Queen hears you, your rash statement would deserve the rebuke she would give you. She may...”

“Hang your balls over your neck.” Enobarbus smiled. “Do you have any left?”

“I am no longer married, Caesar. Fulvia died. Let me hear Agrippa speak some more.” Mark was to hear it.

“Marriage makes the two perpetual friends...” Agrippa was interrupted by Enobarbus then.

“They …...” Enobarbus shut off when he saw the glare from Caesar.

“I was to say, make you brothers or half-brothers, but still family. That marriage will join your hearts in an unbreakable bond.” Agrippa looked hard at Enobarbus, who then looked away.

“Till death do us part. Let Antony take Octavia as his wife. Her beauty, youth, and good upbringing make her deserve no less a husband than the best of men, and her virtue and many graces reveal her to be a woman like no other.”

“Thanks to this marriage, all the little issues that seem so great now and all the great fears that bring danger with them would become nothing. True accusations would be dismissed as rumours, whereas now even unbelievable rumours are taken for truths.”

It was rumour that drove Enobarbus to check on his wife. It proved him right.

“Her love for both of you would make each of you love the other, and she would induce everyone else to love both of you. Pardon me for saying this. It is not something that just occurred to me but something I have been thinking about carefully, moved by duty to the empire.”

There was silence after Agrippa’s words.

“Will you speak, Caesar?” Mark asked. “She is your family.”

“Not until I hear your response to what has already been said. I do love Octavia, but her suitor must ask for her first.”

“If I said, "Agrippa, let this be so," what power would he have to make this happen?” Mark looked at Caesar.

“He would have my power and my power over Octavia. But what of the Queen? She will ne...”

“Let me handle her. May I never dream of interfering with this good plan, which seems so appealing! I will let you bring about this blessed event, and from this moment on, let us let our brotherly bond govern our love for each other and the great plans we make together. 

“Here's my blessing.” Caesar stood up and offered his right hand. Mark did the same, and they clasped hands.

“I give you a sister whom I love more than any brother has ever loved a sister. Let her join our kingdoms and our hearts, and may our love for each other never dissolve again!” Caesar smiled.

“Aye!” Lepidus cheered.

“And no more shooting.” Enobarbus held up his right hand over his mouth. “It was a manner of words, Caesar.”

“Happily, Amen!” Maecenas smiled.

“I had not planned to go into battle against Pompey Jr. since it was his father I killed/. I do not want to be accused of ending the Pompey’s lineage but he has lately done me honour of a great, uncommon kind.” Mark confessed his lack of action. “But I must at least thank him, or risk appearing ungrateful. For that, I will oppose him. For Rome.”

“Time is running short. We must go to Pompey immediately, or else he will come to us.” Lepidus was keen to battle.

“Where is he camped?” Mark asked.

At the ports where he holds the defences well.” Caesar replied.

“How strong are his boys?” Mark asked.

“Very strong and getting stronger. But he controls the ports completely. “

“That is what I hear. If only we had met earlier! Let us move quickly. But before we get ready for battle, let us carry out the plan we talked about.” Mark cut to the urgent subject.

“Most gladly. I invite you to meet my sister, and I will take you straight to her.” Caesar smiled.

“Be sure to join us, Lepidus.” Mark looked at the other.

“Noble Antony, not even sickness would keep me away.” Lepidus smiled. They all followed Caesar and Mark Antony except for Enobarbus, Agrippa, and Maecenas.

“Welcome from Egypt, young man.” Agrippa greeted Enobarbus.

 

 

 

 

No comments:

The Loyal Lieutenants Act Zero Scene Two

  Act Zero Scene Two.   “Exodus 19:3-25 NLT. Then Moses climbed the mountain to appear before God. The LORD called to him from the mou...