Monday, August 26, 2024

Tony and Cleop Act Three Scene Three Sub-Scene One

 

Act Three

Scene Three

Sub-Scene One

The Queen’s anxiety

 

The Queen was in her chamber on the divan. She refused and only took milk to supplement her needs. She has the maids attend to her, but most of the time, they are there watching her. She had declined the river tour and the performances of the eunuch.

“Would you like some grapes, my Queen?” Alexas asked.

“Where is the man?” The Queen asked.

“He is afraid to come,” Alexas replied.

“The messenger asked. I was told he had arrived.” The Queen said. “I am not deaf or blind.”

Mardian led the messenger in.

“Never mind that, never mind. Come here, sir.” The Queen looked at him. “You looked well.”

“Good Queen, not even the... Caesar dares to come into your presence except when you are in a good mood.” Alexas spoke her mind.

“Julius would. He does not fear me.” The Queen looked at Alexas. “Mark Antony, he may not, but I cannot remove him. Who else will carry out my orders to Rome?”

“Come closer.” The Queen told the messenger. “I will not have you whipped. Nor will I rape you. I could sodomize you. That is not rape. Do you consent?”

“Most gracious, Queen!” The messenger went down on his knees.

“Did you see Octavia, Mark Antony’s wife?” The Queen asked.

“Yes, my Queen.”

“Where?”

“My Queen, I saw her in Rome. I looked at her face, and I saw her walking between her brother and Mark Antony.”

“What? Is Caesar her lover too? Is she as tall as me? As beautiful?”

“No, she is not.”

“Did you hear her speak? Does she have a high voice or a low one? Or squeak like a mouse.”

“My Queen, I heard her speak. She has a low voice. A gentle one.”

“That is not very good for Octavia. He cannot like her for long. He likes them throaty.”

“Like her? By God, that is impossible. How could she compare to you, my Queen?" Charmian snapped out.

“So, Charmian held her Queen highly. Or your arse needs to be reamed. Octavia has a dull voice, and she is short. If she needed the support of two men, do she walk in an elegant way? Recall if you ever looked at a Queen.”

“I …….” The messenger hesitated.

“Speak freely, or your life will be forfeited.” Alexas took her turn to speak.

“She has a slow, hunched walk. She looks the same, walking and standing still. She has a body, not a form, with life in it. She is more like a statue than a living, breathing woman.” The messenger looked away. He saw a status

“Is this certain? How many Queens have you seen?” The Queen looked at the messenger.

“I may have been mistaken. I have not met many Queens. You are the first. I have no power to observe the others.”

“There are not three people in Egypt who can observe better than he can.” Charmian cut in. She remembered her ordeal with him the last time. He was not the gentle one.

“He is very shrewd, I can tell.” The Queen laughed. “I have not heard about any good qualities in Octavia yet. The man has good judgment. Please, guess how old she is.“

“Queen, she was a widow...” The messenger bit his tongue. The Queen was also a widow before. She was said to have married Julius Caesar.

“Widow? Charmian, pay attention to this. Widows are aplenty around. So, get your man before he dies.”

“I think she is around thirty. Or forty? I cannot tell, for I hardly met her.”

“Did you ever see her face? Is it long or round? Or square?” The Queen pressed on.

“Round, I guess.”

Most people with round faces are foolish. What colour is her hair?

“Brown, Queen... I think reddish. And her forehead is so low that she wouldn't want it any lower.”

“Not blonde, huh? And low? What did you do? Stare at her breasts.” The Queen laughed. “Like them, you are dumb. Here is some money for you.”

The Queen tossed the wads of money.

“You must not hold my previous hostile actions against me. I am a nicer Queen. I will not whip you today, so there are no maids for you to fuck. Use the money to hire one then.”

“But before then, I will employ you for another task; I find that you are a very useful man. Get ready to go; our letters are ready.”

Alexas handed the letters to the messenger.

“Leave now.” The messenger left in a hurry.

“An admirable man," Charmian said of the messenger.

“Indeed, he is. You did get a fuck from him. We have not.” The Queen smiled. “Not that we wanted, but if we did, it may be admirable that he could do all four of us.”

“I am sorry, my Queen.” Charmian bowed her head.

“Do not be. He will come back. I am very sorry that I harassed him so much. Why, judging by his report, I think that this Octavia woman really has no good qualities to speak of. 

“None, my Queen.” Charmian tried to win back credits with the Queen.

“Antony has seen what royalty looks like, and he should know it when he sees it.” The Queen smiled.

“Has he seen royalty? My arse forbid that he has not seen royalty after serving you so long!” Charmian pushed her charms too far at times.

“Charmian, I have one more thing to ask of you. Have you felt the need to be told your rank?”

“No, my Queen. I duly apologize." Charmian bowed her head once more.

“Good. As for Mark Antony... It does not matter now. It does not matter. You will bring paper and ink to me, and I will write my letter. All may be well enough.”

“Yes, my Queen.” Charmian rushed to her task.

 

 

 

No comments:

The Loyal Lieutenants Act Zero Scene Two

  Act Zero Scene Two.   “Exodus 19:3-25 NLT. Then Moses climbed the mountain to appear before God. The LORD called to him from the mou...