Thursday, August 15, 2024

Tony and Cleop Act Two Scene Six Sub-Scene Three

 

Act Two

Scene Six

Sub-Scene Three

The tongue loosens.

 

A feast was called for at the Gentlemen’s Club for the selected few. There were Caesar, Mark Antony, Lepidus, Agrippa, and Maecenas. They were seated at the same table as Pompey and Menas. The table was laden with food and drinks. The servings included the arancini, or "arancia,"or the oranges they resemble in size and colour; they’re a mix of short-grain rice, herby tomato sauce, and melted cheese (often a blend of Parmigiano Reggiano and mozzarella).

“The chef is from my home country; he just landed and took command of the kitchen.” The butler told Caesar. “He had also prepared the other meals. The caponata is superb.”

Caponata takes the island’s beloved eggplant and sautés it with a mixture of chopped tomatoes, onions, celery, capers, and olives.

“You are from my grandfather’s land?” Menas asked.

“Nay, Sir. I am from the hills across the continent. We eat haggis and puddings." The butler smiled. “Narry a day without my whiskey.”

“Good man there. I loved Haggis too. Bloody blood content they hold.” Agrippa smiled. “My wife says no, but I get it from the shop downtown.”

“Haggis does not have blood. It was the black pudding." Maecenas told the other. “You have been conned.”

“Whatever, I get the dessert with the ladies there.” Agrippa smiled. “If you cannot work with them, let them work for you.”

“Well said, old man.” Pompey roared.

“That is the next thing for us to do. We work the land together and let the others toil it for us.” Caesar raised his glass towards Pompey Jr.

“We will throw feasts for each other after each harvest, and we'll draw straws to see who will host the first one.” Pompey Jr smiled.

“I will, Pompey Jr.” Mark offered to do the feast.

“No, Antony, draw straws with us. If it is your turn, your Egyptian recipes will carry away all the honour. I served the crocodiles but saved the skin for my shoes. I have heard that Julius Caesar grew fat from feasting while he was there. Was it crocodile meat? They bite hard.”

“You have heard a lot, sir." Mark Antony laughed.

“I mean well, sir.” Pompey Jr smiled.

“And your words sound good.” Mark said.

“That is what I heard. And I have heard that Julius carried...”

“No more about that. He did exactly that or this, but I am sure he did not.” Enobarbus interrupted Pompey Jr. “I was with him most times.”

“What did he carry, I ask you?” Pompey Jr pressed on.

“A certain Queen to Caesar in a mattress.” Enobarbus avoided the stare of Mark Antony. 

“I know who you are now. How are you doing, soldier?” Pompey Jr smiled at Enobarbus. “A loyal soldier. You shoot straight.”

“Well, and I believe I will continue to do well, for I hear there are meals planned.” Enobarbus moved to change the subject.

“Let me shake your hand. I never bore your ill will. I have seen you fight so well that I envy your achievements.” Pompey Jr raised a toast to Enobarbus.

“Sir, I have never been very fond of you, but I have praised you... when you deserved ten times as much praise as what I should have given you.” Enobarbus was either drunk or stupid enough to say things at times.

“Keep speaking straightforwardly like this. It suits you.” Pompey Jr laughed. He then looked at the others. “I invite you all to come see the new land. It is now, but a few months later. Will you go first, my... friendly lords?”

“To all then.” Caesar toasts towards Pompey Jr.

 

 

 

 

No comments:

The Loyal Lieutenants Act Zero Scene Two

  Act Zero Scene Two.   “Exodus 19:3-25 NLT. Then Moses climbed the mountain to appear before God. The LORD called to him from the mou...