Friday, August 2, 2024

Tony and Cleop Act Two Scene Two Sub-Scene Two

 

Act Two

Scene Two

Sub-Scene Two

Rome needed the bosses.

 

The Romans sat at the library, Caesar was behind the desk, and Mark Antony sat opposite Caesar. Enobarbus and Lepidus stood at the fireplace. Maecenas was there, but he stood by himself at the other corner. No wine or cigars were offered, but an expressionless stare took place. There was another who remained inconspicuous in the other corner, named Agrippa.

“I hear that you take things as offensive that are not intended to be... or if they are offensive, they have nothing to do with you.” Caesar spoke then. “Lucius and Fulvia were on their own. “

“If I had not retaliated, I would make myself a laughingstock, nor was I offended over nothing or over a small matter, and most of all, not in dealings with you. I would deserve even greater mockery if I spoke badly of you once, when it is no business of mine to speak about you at all.”

“What concern is it of yours if I am in Egypt? You did send me there as your emissary.” Mark said the first words, then.

“No more than you are living here in Rome or Egypt. If you had plotted against me while you were there, I would have taken the needed caution there.”

“Did I plot?" Mark Antony was on the offensive.

“Your wife and brother waged war against me, and they intended for you to join them. They fought in your name.” Cesar looked at Mark.

“You are mistaken about what happened. I learned the truth from reliable sources that they were on their own. Lucius undermined my authority as well as yours, and his fight was against me, too, since I was on your side. I told you all this in my letters earlier. If you want to pick a fight, even if you have enough other reasons to fight with me, it cannot be about this.” Mark was agitated.

“Do not try to make yourself look better by saying I was right, but you are coming up with poor excuses for yourself. And for Fulvia. She had disliked me.” Caesar looked at Mark.

“It is not true. I am with the new Triumvirate, as I was with Julius and Crassus. We are for Rome. Lucius envied us and was the reason his sister fought. Cicero did him injustice also. Your aides could have told you that.” Mark looked at Caesar. “As for Fulvia, I wish you could find a spirit like hers in another woman. She saw my banishment. Yes, it was a banishment to her. Her husband was sent away by Caesar: The Romans holds more than half of the city. The other bosses feared you. Your words were a command to them. If you want to, you can subdue it easily, but you could not so easily subdue a woman like Fulvia. She wanted me back, even if she was to wage war.”

“I wish my wives were like Fulvia, so that men could go to battle accompanied by women! And not tailoring at holes.” Enobarbus said, but he was ignored.

“Fulvia was difficult to restrain, Caesar. She waged battles out of boredom or love, but not entirely without good strategy. She knew her influence and how to do it. I may be the leader at times, but compared to her, I am just the soldier. I do apologetically admit that she caused you too much disturbance. In return, you must admit that I could not prevent it.”

“I wrote to you while you were entertaining yourself in Egypt. I sent messengers. You ignored my letters and taunted my messengers.”

“Caesar, your messengers arrived and were met. Their timing was poor. I was at banquets with other dignitaries or bosses, whatever you may name them. I was building bridges with them for us. They came, waited, and left with pleasant feelings that we are not a threat to them. Jeeves was the last, and he waited to tell me of Fulvia. I had just been at dinner with ....... others, and I was not feeling quite myself in the morning. But the next day I explained my situation to him, which was as good as asking him to pardon me. Do not let this person add to our quarrels. If we are going to fight, keep him out of it.”

Caesar knew those were lies.

“I …… No, you have broken the terms of your promise, and that is something you will never be able to accuse me of being upset.” Caesar looked at Mark. “I am Caesar and yet you……”

“Hold on, Caesar.” Lepidus cut in.

“No, Lepidus, let him speak. Caesar is speaking about my honour now, and my honour is sacred, even if he thinks that I lack it.” Mark stopped Lepidus.

“As a member of the Triumvirate, you were to lend me weapons and help when I needed them, both of which you denied to me.” Caesar spat it out.

“I did not deny it; I just neglected to do it ……. and that was only when an illness kept me from thinking clearly. I will apologize to you as much as I can, but my honesty in this matter does not diminish my greatness towards Rome, and I will never use my power without honesty.” Mark explained himself. “It is true that Fulvia went to war here to draw me away from Egypt. I was to join her but did not. I …… stayed away. For that, I am to be blamed. I seek your forgiveness, just because it is fitting for my honour to humble myself in a situation like this. You are still Caesar.”

“Nobly said and done.” Lepidus smiled.

“If we all agreed to stop fighting about your past grievances, then forgetting those grievances entirely would be a good way of remembering that you ought to be friends in this current crisis.” Maecenas said.

“Well said, Maecenas.” Lepidus smiled.

“Let us be friends then. We have a war now. Once we defeat Pompey Jr …... the new Pompey, we can resume here again. There may be nothing to argue about then.” Enobarbus added his line of wisdom.

“All of you are lieutenants. Do not speak or interrupt here.” Mark cautioned the others. “This is between me and Caesar.”

“Our strength is often composed of the weakness that we are damned if we're going to show.” (Mignon McLaughlin) Enobarbus muttered.

“Fine, then. I will be silent and obedient as a stone.” Enobarbus spoke out clearly for all to hear.

“I can accept those words from them. No matter how they may say it, it is impossible for us to remain friends since our temperaments differ and affect how we act. But if I knew of something that would keep us strong allies, I would pursue it from one end of the world to the other." Caesar said.

 

 

 


 

No comments:

The Loyal Lieutenants Act Zero Scene Two

  Act Zero Scene Two.   “Exodus 19:3-25 NLT. Then Moses climbed the mountain to appear before God. The LORD called to him from the mou...