Friday, August 9, 2024

Tony and Cleop Act Two Scene Three Sub-Scene One

 

Act Two

Scene Three

Sub-Scene One

The vows taken may not be fulfilled.

 

Antony and Caesar met Octavia at the other library. She was seated there, reading a book by the tall window. She was dressed well in the yellow gown and matching shoes. She saw the arrival of the two gentlemen and stood up.

“Hello. I was not expecting guests.” Octavia lied then. She was expecting Caesar to allow her to return to London for a holiday. She was the daughter of Gaius Octavius and his second wife, Atia. She was married to Gaius Marcellus, with whom she had two daughters and a son. On the death of Marcellus, in a gunbattle with some young punks, she had remained a widow and was turning forty years of age then.

“Octavia, you are still young. You should find a man to wed.” Agrippa told her. “It is not like Marcus will mind.”

“Oh, Godfather. I am well even without Marcus. I have my children and a life here.”

“But not a man to protect you. Once I am gone, there will be no one for you to call on.” Agrippa said. “You will be vulnerable.”

“What, shot death in the head?” Octavia smiled. “My children are out of Rome. They have their father’s trust fund to live on. I will be a contented grandmother if they ever do marry anyone... child-bearing ones.”

“Let me speak to Caesar.” Agrippa comforted her.

“Caesar? He is too young for me. I am better off staying the widow than being shagged like a lumpy mattress.”

“No, I will speak to him about a suitable husband. One of dignity and power.” Agrippa assured her. “I was thinking of Mark Antony. He is a widower.”

“And a womaniser, as I was told. He resides in Egypt with that Queen.”

“Indeed, but I was told that he was coming back to meet Caesar to settle their differences. What better way to do it than to form a marriage relationship? Yours and him.”

So, it was arranged.

And let the Cupid do their aim.

“Mark Antony, I am glad to see you. My condolences to Fulvia. She is a nice lady. We used to have tea at the cafes. She loved the lilac there.” Octavia bowed to the man she was expecting from me.

“I held great responsibilities I must carry out all over the world, which sometimes take me away from her. Thank you for being a friend to her.” 

“I do. And when she was gone, I kneeled before God and prayed for her and you. Such a sad event.” Octavia looked at the book she was reading. “Othello’s plight was alike... Othello believed his wife Desdemona was unfaithful, stirring Othello's jealousy. Othello allows jealousy to consume him, murders Desdemona, and then kills himself.”

“Oh, pardon me. I was not saying of...” Octavia looked at Mark Antony.

“None taken. Fulvia liked that book too. She had me a copy when I left for Egypt.” Mark smiled. He did have the book, but it was never read.

“Octavia, I could say much of what Fulvia may think of me then.” Mark bows to the lady.

“Good things, Mark Antony. She thinks the world of you.” Octavia smiled. “As I did with her.”

“My dear Octavia, please do not believe the critical things you will hear about me. Rumours say they all are. I have not behaved. Perhaps not all the time, as men did not perfectly in the past, but in the future, I will abide strictly by the rule book.” Mark bows to the lady.

“Pardon me; the time does not wait for us. I must be going. Good night, dear lady.” Mark then turned to Caesar. “Good night, sir.”

Mark left the mansion and was driven to the cottage outside. He entered the cottage to be greeted by an associate from Egypt. He approached the living area.

“Tea or coffee, or was it me you wanted?” The figure is seated at the table. It was Maria the Soothsayer. “I can say the taste of Rome is... tasteless. I could have better black tea there.”

Mark sat opposite the soothsayer.

“Now, sir, do you wish you were in Egypt? The Queen does offer the better black tea.” Maria smiled. “I wish I had never left and that you had not either.”

“If you can tell me, why do you say that?” Mark asked.

“It is a feeling I have; I cannot put it into words. The itch you have between your legs and yours, for now there is no cure for it. But still, once I return to Egypt, you will get it.”

“Cut the chase, Maria. Your reputation precedes you. Tell me who will have better fortune, me? Or Caesar? Or Pompey …. Jr?”

“Caesar.” Maria spoke out. “I will warn you, Mark Antony. Do not stay near him. Your spirit that sustains you...  is noble, courageous, soaring, and unequalled, while Caesar's is not. But when you are near him, your daemon becomes afraid, as if overpowered. Caesar is... create some distance between you and Caesar.”

“Do not talk about this anymore. You ridicule my strength.” Mark was disbelieving. 

“I would not talk about it with anyone but you, for the message is only for you. With Caesar, none of your actions will work; you are sure to lose because of your natural misfortune around him. Caesar is protected by God; he beats you even when the odds are against him.”

“You are a candle in the wind while he is the lighthouse. I tell you again, your spirit is afraid to guide you when you are near Caesar, but when he is away, your spirit is noble. God bless the Queen.”

“Leave now. The boys will send you back.” Mark shooed her off.

“On the rails in a wooden box, I hope not.” Maria smiled,

“No, you will get the wagon among the sheep and cows.” Mark snarled at her. “Go now before I shoot you.”

“Tell Ventidus that I wish to speak with him.” Mark told Maria, who left the cottage,

“Ventidus must go to the Parthians. They The soothsayer has spoken truthfully. Even the dice obey Caesar, and in our sports, my better skill is overcome by his better luck. If we draw straws, I will draw the short one, and he wins. Caesar always beat mine in the ring, even when the odds are against him.” Mark said to himself,

“I will return to Egypt. And even though I were to marry Octavia to achieve political peace, I could only find pleasure in Egypt. Wait for me, my Queen.”

Mark saw Ventidus enter.

“Ventidus. You must go to Parthia. Your orders are ready. Follow me and receive them.”

 

 

No comments:

The Loyal Lieutenants Act Zero Scene Two

  Act Zero Scene Two.   “Exodus 19:3-25 NLT. Then Moses climbed the mountain to appear before God. The LORD called to him from the mou...