Thursday, August 29, 2024

Tony and Cleop Act Three Scene Seven Sub-Scene Two

 

Act Three

Scene Seven

Sub-Scene Two

Advices Axed

 

Mark and Candidus walked into the chamber then. He saw Enobarbus with the Queen.

“I am done talking with you, Queen. Let me greet the boss." Enobarbus turned to see Mark.

“I did not expect you here. You were on holidays.” Mark embraced his loyal friend. “You know Candidus?”

“And Cleop, I was looking for you. I am sorry to barge, but we were talking about the war initiated by Caesar. For some reasons, he disliked me and waged war now on me. And Egypt. I was told by Candidus.”

“Yes, Boss. Caesar had called war onto you. He was told you that were planning a revolt against him.” Enobarbus looked at Mark. “I had come here to see you. I was to Athens.”

“I was there but the urgency of the matter made me come here. I am glad you are here. What is with Caesar?”

“He is …… paranoia with almost everyone. He had locked Lepidus accusing the other of conspiring with Pompey Jr. He had Pompey Jr killed in Sicily and retake all the territory. He now accuses you of conspiring against him.”

“Mark Antony, your enemy is mine too.” Cleop cut in. “Egypt fights for you too.”

“No offense, Queen. Please put a seat for all to sit in. We can discuss this here." Mark Antony smiled at Enobarbus.

“May I be excused?" It was a long journey.” Enobarbus looked at Mark.

“Soon, my friend. I need you to hear this.” Mark told the other before he turned to Candidus.

“Candidus told me that Caesar intends to invade Egypt now. He is assembling Pompey Jr’s boys and getting he ships to sail here. The next battle will be on the coast. Or the sea.”

“By sea, how else would we do it? Your boys are not sailors.” The Queen cut in.

“Pompey Jr’ boys are sailors. They will rally to Caesar’s call.” Candidus reported then.

“We could wait inland for them.” Candidius added.

“Boss, you could challenge Caesar to single combat.” Enobarbus, in turn, said. “In the Council. Show your loyalty to the Romans there. They will trust your honourable words.”

“I would have, but Caesar was without honour." Mark replied, “We could face Caesar at sea.”

“By sea, your boys do not take the helm to the starboard; they are not good sailors. Your crew consists of mule drivers, farmers, and other people that you got together quickly through drafting. Caesar's fleet has Pompey Jr’s boys, who often fight for Pompey Jr on the ships. Their ships are light and agile; yours... You have skiffs and what not to hold parties. There would be no shame in refusing to fight him at sea, since you are better prepared to fight him on land.” Enobarbus laid out the facts.

“Boss, by doing that, you would throw away the advantage of the excellent boys you have on land; reroute your boys, which consist of trained shooters; make no use of your own considerable knowledge; abandon the strategy that promises success; and give up a highly secure position to leave yourself at the mercy of chance and fortune.” Enobarbus pleaded.

“I will fight at sea. If not to be, on the skies.” Mark was adamant not to back down.

“They did that in the Great War. They flew those cart boards up there and even bombed the enemies.” Mark was justifying his move.

“I have ships …… more ships than Caesar; he has nothing better than that.”

“From where?” Enobarbus asked.

“From Egypt. If we fail at sea, then we can fight on land.” Mark told them.

“I bear messages. Caesar has taken to sea with his ships.” The messenger had arrived to tell the news.

“When has my chamber been entered without permission?” The Queen was upset. “Where are the servants? Leave now before I shoot you.”

The messenger left in a hurry.

“It was my calling. I told them to find me if there were messages.” Mark smiled at the Queen. He then turned to Candidius.

“Candidius, you will command the boys... Get twenty... No, fifty of them. Go by the trucks to... What is the name again? …...  The Nile. I will secure the ships and reach them there by sea.”

“Come with me, my sea goddess!” Mark reached for the Queen. It was Enobarbus who moved the subject matter.

“Boss, do not fight at sea! Do not trust the ships. Can you not see our boys’ view and their wounds? Let Egypt fight on the water. We are used to conquering our enemies on land.”

“Well, well, away. We will battle at both.” Mark took leave with the Queen.

I swear by Hercules, I think I am right.” Enobarbus sighed. He was still concerned about the battle.

“Enobarbus, if I may address you by name, sir, Mark Antony makes all his plans without considering what he has the power to accomplish. So, the boss leader is led astray, and we, the boys, felt like we were led by a woman.” Candidius sighed.

“Are the boys ready for battle?” Enobarbus was keen to know. In his absence, Candidius oversaw the boys in Egypt.

“As I was told, Mark Antony will take Marcus Octavius, Marcus Justeius, Publicola, and Caelius to sea, but the other group of boys will be kept together in reserve on land. It is unbelievable how fast Caesar has moved.”

“While he was still in Rome, Caesar may have had his boys deployed out in so many different directions that none of our spies could keep track of them.” Enobarbus said. “Have you heard who his lieutenant on land is?”

“As I was told, his name is Taurus. Like his name, he is a bull.” Candidius said. “A bull in the glass shop.”

A messenger arrived then.

“The boss sent for Candidius, sir.”

“I must go, sir." Candidius smiled at Enobarbus.

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

The Loyal Lieutenants Act Zero Scene Two

  Act Zero Scene Two.   “Exodus 19:3-25 NLT. Then Moses climbed the mountain to appear before God. The LORD called to him from the mou...