Thursday, August 15, 2024

Tony and Cleop Act Two Scene Six Sub-Scene Two

 

Act Two

Scene Six

Sub-Scene Two

The Truce

 

The Gentlemen’s Club was an old establishment of the elites and pompous males, with little regard to the sensitivity of the other gender or being held to model themselves as masculine, though they asked for their mother’s care when in pain. The place also served as a neutral place for male conflicts.

The empire has its own chamber there; unlike the mansion, that one was lavishly decorated with exquisite furniture; animal skins were laid down as carpet, and the walls had the previous Caesar’s portraits. The butler there dispensed the wine in the glasses and provided the cigars for those who needed a puff. The daily news was sent there in the form of the latest editions.

The entourage of the empire was Caesar, Lepidus, Enobarbus, Maecenas, and Agrippa. They arrived and took their assigned seats at the round table; it was a novelty for Julius to have that table with thirteen seats, although it was never fully occupied.

Pompey Jr and Menas soon arrived and were offered their seats.

“I do not see Lancelot... Pardon my forgetfulness. Mark Antony. How is he? I heard he got married. Jolly well for him. In the words of the seamen, one whore is in each port.” Pompey laughed. He was hoping to get Caesar riled, but the other was calm.

“I have hostages of yours, and you have hostages of mine, so we'll talk before we continue the fight.” Pompey saw the humour of his, which was not shared then.

“It is very appropriate that we talk first, and for that reason we sent our proposals beforehand. As with any truce required, the terms are stated and hopefully accepted by all. If you had considered them, let us know if we can proceed to stop waging; it is meaningless and a waste of lives. If all is agreed, please take your boys back to where they are from, or die here.” Caesar served his long sentence there.

“Bravado, Caesar. I hear you, but you must also listen to me.” Pompey Jr smiled. “Let me outspeak our words to the three of you, the assumed rulers of this great world and the gods' only messengers on earth. Angels, they are called, but I would not brand you as one yet.”

“I do not know why my father's death shouldn't be avenged; a poor man died for Rome when he was gunned down on the street, but he held a son and friends to his name.” Pompey Jr looked at Agrippa and Enobarbus.

“The two of you fought on behalf of Julius Caesar, who appeared as a ghost to the good Brutus at Philippi. Why was it that pale Cassius started conspiring against Caesar? And what drove Brutus, who was honest and honoured by all, along with the rest of the armed conspirators who were seeking glorious freedom, to drench the mansion with Caesar’s blood?”

“They did not want one man to have more power than anyone else? And that is what made me equip my boys—the sons of Neptune, as I called them—for within the angry sea now foams. With these boys, I intend to punish spiteful Rome for its ingratitude towards my noble father.”

“I will advise caution here.” Caesar looked at Pompey Jr.

“You cannot scare us, Pompey Jr, with your boys. Not eve you father ever did.” It was Mark who had just arrived. “Sorry, I am late.”

“Coitus interruptus?” Pompey Jr laughed. “Men’s calls are few, but when they are needed, the fuck can wait.”

“Pompey Jr, we engage your boys at the heart of your so-named empire. But do you know how much greater our force is than yours?”

“On land, indeed, you cheated me out of my father's boys. But, since I know you are not making it your own, remain in it for the time being under Caesar. Are you staying here for good? What about Egypt?”

“Please tell us... the terms of the truce." Your response to the offers we have sent you.” Lepidus cut in.

“Do not let yourself be tricked into anything, but consider carefully how much our offer is worth if you agree to it.” Mark said to Pompey Jr. “We can be generous.”

“What may happen to you if you try to continue the war ……. bigger fortune by fighting us or bigger grave yards?” Caesar looked at Pompey Jr.

“I was told that you had offered me the new horizons of Sicily and Sardinia down south of here. Good lands there; farmers and beef rearing. Acres of land and no smoke-clogged cities. In return, I would give up on the sea port ……... again, ……... and send shipments of wheat to Rome, which you will, of course, pay at a lower price. I could sell the rest to the others for a fairer price, but we live in harmony. If we both agree to this, we will part peacefully, without drawing guns against each other and without denting our shields.” Pompey Jr said.

“That is our offer.” Mark said.

“You should know, I was prepared to accept the offer, but I hold Mark Antony with disdain. He irritated me somewhat.” Pompey Jr stared at the other. “I detract from the honour of my good deed by telling you about it; you should know that when Caesar and your brother, Lucius, were at war, your mother came to me and found warm hospitality.”

“I have heard that, Pompey Jr, and I intend to thank you generously, which I know I owe you.” Mark bowed to the other. “Fulvia will do so.”

“Say no more of her. She is dead.” Pompey Jr stood up and approached Mark. “Give me your hand. I offer you, my friendship. You are a great soldier and worthy of Caesar.”

They clasp hands.

“I did not think that I would meet you here, sir. Or either of us will look at each other in the eyes, drawing our last breath.”

“Sicily is a very pleasant place, and I thank you for calling me away. I was to go there earlier but was sent to Egypt.” Mark smiled.

“I heard Egypt is more climatic.” Pompey Jr laughed.

“It is good for us all to meet here.” Lepidus smiled when he cut in. He did not want to see the situation turn worse again.

“I hope so, Lepidus. We have agreed on this. I want it sealed by all of us.” Caesar had the last words for it.

 

 

 

 

No comments:

The Loyal Lieutenants Act Zero Scene Two

  Act Zero Scene Two.   “Exodus 19:3-25 NLT. Then Moses climbed the mountain to appear before God. The LORD called to him from the mou...