Friday, August 16, 2024

Tony and Cleop Act Two Scene Seven Sub-Scene Two

 

Act Two

Scene Seven

Sub-Scene Two

A hummingbird whispers: Persevere, and you shall thrive.

 

The feast went on, and Pompey Jr was filled with joy. Enobarbus approached Menas.

“Here this is to you, Menas!” Enobarbus offered the glass. They drank.

“Enobarbus, welcome.” Menas smiled.

“There is a strong man, Menas.” Enobarbus said.

“Who? Pompey Jr? Or the one you called Boss?” Menas looked at gathered.

“No, that one.” Enobarbus pointed to the servant who carried off Lepidus. “He weighs a ton. His wife told me so. Lepidus is a heavy man. He carries one-third of the world, man.” Enobarbus smiled. It was reference to Lepidus as the member of Triumvirate.

“He holds a third, then, and is drunk. If only the others were drunk, so it would all spin with joy!” Menas smiled back.

“Have a drink. Increase the spinning.” Enobarbus roared. Across the chamber, Pompey Jr was still celebrating.

“Mark Antony, is the feast not yet as wild as an Egyptian feast?” Pompey Jr asked Mark Antony.

It is getting there. Open more casks, I say! A toast to Caesar.” Mark replied. He was anxious to be away and avoid the references to Egypt.

“I could do without it. It is unnatural for me to drink if it makes my brain cloudy. I am seeing double on everything.” Caesar said.

“Get into the spirit of things.” Pompey Jr shouted. “We are friends now.”

“You take the drink, and I will take another... But I had rather go without eating for four days than drink so much in one day.”

“Ha! My boss, shall we dance the Tarantella now and celebrate our drinking?” Enobarbus called out.

“Let us see it, good soldier.” Pompey Jr smiled.

“Come, let us all take hands, until this wine conquers us and sends us into a calm, gentle, forgetful stupor.” Mark called it. “Let us go to the seacoast to see”

‘While the full moon shines,

The night seems to be the morning.

The fishermen of Mergellina

Gather around you with the lively

The tarantella, the tarantella!

Gather around you with the lively

Tarantella, tarantella!’

They all sang the chorus.

“E tiritùppete-tttùppete-tttùppete

Ttùppete, ttùppete, ttùppete, ttù...

E tiritùppete-tttùppete-tttùppete

La tarantella la llara lla llá...’

https://lyricstranslate.com/en/la-tarantella-la-tarantella.html

The singing went on, and everyone finally sat down.

“Pompey Jr, good night.” Caesar greeted the other. He then turned to Mark Antony. “Given our serious business, we should not be fooling around like this. Strong Enobarbus is not strong enough to handle the wine, and I cannot articulate my words clearly. This wild drunkenness has almost made fools out of all of us. What else needs to be said? Good night. Good Antony, give me your hand. Stay as my friend.”

All of them left except Menas and Enobarbus.

“Menas, I am not leaving yet.” Enobarbus told Menas. “I can see you hardly touched the wine. Are you well?”

“I am, but my digestion is mixed. I am just holding up.” Menas smiled. “Enobarbus, do join me. I can do with one more glass.”

They drank, and then Menas looked at his empty glass.

“Feels like yesterday; it was full and now empty.” Menas sighed. “Like our commitments at times, I was married once, but since then, I merely fuck.”

“We lost many friends too. It was... senseless, but that is our life.” Enobarbus smiled. “Hey, our feast has roused the whole club, but none came to complain. They valued their balls there.” Menas smiled. “Someone shall tell us we left our guns at home with the wives.”

“I have mine, but no bullets. It is the same with my prick, but my wife holds the balls. Or rather, my ex-wife did. I have no other children with the other ladies.” Menas revealed the concealed gun.

“Hoo, I say! There goes my hat.” Enobarbus looked at Menas. He changed the subject then. “We will meet again. We got things to talk about.”

“Yes, but not today. Let us go home.” Menas smiled. Enobarbus watched the others leave the chamber. He smiled to himself.

“I will be watching you, son of a bitch.”

 

No comments:

The Loyal Lieutenants Act Zero Scene Two

  Act Zero Scene Two.   “Exodus 19:3-25 NLT. Then Moses climbed the mountain to appear before God. The LORD called to him from the mou...