Thursday, August 29, 2024

Tony and Cleop Act Three Scene Six Sub-Scene One

 

Act Three

Scene Six

Sub-Scene One

Betrayal and disrespect

 

Caesar was in the library looking at what is his and what is not yet.  The sentries were doubled at the mansion; the garden and the surrounding of the mansion. and well-armed. They were not taking the chance of Caesar being killed in the war. Agrippa and Maecenas were with him assisting him with the names and territory.

“Mark Antony betrayed me and Rome. He named himself Caesar while in Egypt.” Caesar was upset.

“It was only rumours,” Agrippa said, looking at Caesar. “It was not proven.”

“You are getting old, Agrippa.” Caesar looked at the loyal soldier. “I read of them from the messengers.”

“I am old, but loyalty is to you, Caesar, and Rome. I can still shoot.” Agrippa told the other. “We shall not be taken in by rumours, and the war ……”

“Here is what happened: at the river by the palace, Mark Antony was on the golden barge; he and that Queen were publicly enthroned in chairs of gold. At their feet sat Caesarion, Julius’ son with the Queen, and my half-brother, born by the harlot. He claims to rank with me as my father's son. If I accept that, along with all the illegitimate children if their mother may have with my father, I will have to open a school for all of them.”

“That is not all. Antony gave her full possession of Egypt and made her absolute ruler of the surrounding cities. The bosses there kissed her feet as a gesture of loyalty.

“Did he do this in public?” Maecenas asked.

“Blatant to all who want to see.” Caesar was fanning the anger. “In the public arena, where others gathered, there, he proclaimed his sons to be the bosses of the bosses. He gave great Media, Parthia, and Aremenia to Alexander, the young nitwit who still suckles his mothers’ tits. He gave Syria, Cilicia, and Phoenicia to Ptolemy the what... sixteen or eighteen, who cares? They multiply better than the crocodiles.”

“Ptolemy is a relative of the Queen,” Maecenas said. “Her brother was names such.”

“Yes, some bastards from the family. The Queen appeared that day dressed like the goddess Isis, and it is said that she has often appeared in public in that costume.” Caesar was upset. “She calls herself the Queen of Bosses.”

“Let the people in Rome know this.” Maecenas roared out in anger.

“The Romans will be indignant at his disrespectful behaviour and will stop thinking well of him. I will be the same.” Agrippa was convinced by the accusations.

“Rome knows it already and has now heard the accusations that Mark Antony makes in order to justify his behaviour." Caesar looked at the older man. “I am Caesar, and he...”

“Who does he accuse?” Agrippa looked at Caesar.

“He accuses me, because after we defeated Pompey Jr in Sicily, we did not give him his share of the island.” Caesar was interrupted by Agrippa.

“Did we tell him we were to re-take Sicily?”

“I told Lepidus, but he must have said something more. Mark Antony sent me messages saying that he lent me some goods that I have not returned. Finally, he is upset that Lepidus has been cut out of the triumvirate and claims that I have kept all of Lepidus's property.”

“Boss, some answer should be given to these accusations. Let me ask Lepidus.” Agrippa volunteered to be the mediator.

“It has already been done, and the messenger has left with my reply. I told him that Lepidus had grown too cruel, had abused his high position of power, and so deserved to be deposed. I will give him part of the lands I have conquered, but then I will demand that Mark Antony give me part of Armenia and the other kingdoms he has conquered.” Caesar told the other. “It was all done when you were away. Have you recovered?

Agrippa was away to recuperate from some ailment. He had just returned to learn of the new war.

“I am better now.” Agrippa nodded. “How is Lepidus?”

“He will never agree to that. I know Mark Antony well.” Maecenas moved the subject back to the war.

“Caesar, how is Lepidus?” Agrippa asked again.

“Alive and well. I did not torture him if that was your question. He is well, and was told he has an illness and needed rest. Alone.”

Agrippa was not convinced but he let the matter rest.

“Then I should not agree to his terms. Sirs, we have a war to fight.” Caesar said it out loud. It was then that Octavia arrived.

 

 

 

No comments:

The Loyal Lieutenants Act Zero Scene Two

  Act Zero Scene Two.   “Exodus 19:3-25 NLT. Then Moses climbed the mountain to appear before God. The LORD called to him from the mou...