Tuesday, February 21, 2023

Hamlet; the Noir Adaption 2023 Act 2 Interlude

 Act Two

Interlude

The knock on the door of the chamber was permitted to proceed. The slender female figure in the stiff high neck gown stepped in and walked to the bed. Her face was covered by the half mask that reveal only her lips. Her hair was cut with the bob-cut above the ears.

“I am here …. My love.” The lady said.

“Elementary, you are. I desire you to be here.” The other figure, a male by gender in the chamber stood by the window looking to the street below. “Your arrival was seen by me.”

The man there was dressed in a bathrobe and smoked the pipe unlit then. He was masked the same as the lady but his hair design was swept back revealing the forehead. He kept his lookout at the window, looking earnestly at the corners for any moving shadows.

“I can see no one has followed you.” The man took an imitation of the puff with the pipe. “It’s desired that our liaison be kept discreet.”

“Yes, my love. I had told the driver to make two rounds of the black before I was to disembark.”

“One cannot be too careless, Ophelia. Society frowned at us but naught they know of our needs.”  The man replaced the pipe on the table nearby. “Haste not by choice but an act of the needs.”

“I am aware, my love.” The lady proceeded to unbutton the front of her dress but the man was impatient. He stepped toward her and pulled the dress apart with the buttons springing free.

“Dear Sir!” The lady was to protest but the man was without any care. He latched his lips on her exposed flesh, taking huge bites on the nipples.

“Sir…” The lady tried to push him off but he was stronger.

“Protest no more, Ophelia. The torn shall be compensated as our needs of ours shall be consumed.” The man’s hands were at the hem of the dress dragging it up and tearing the last resistance to his lust. He was in and then was quick when he released his pent-up feelings.

“Begone now. You will be paid handsomely for your damages.” The man pulled back his bathrobe while the lady adjusted her clothing.

“Thank you, Sir. Shall there be a next time?” The lady asked.

“Leave me!” The man roared out. “Reynaldo, send the lady away.”

The aide of the man rushed in and pulled the lady away. He was soon to return to the chamber to find his master seated by the armchair holding the violin.

“She left, Sire. I had paid her for indiscretion.” Reynaldo reported to the man. “Was she …”

“There was no part of her that I liked. She was at best …. a whore. At worse, a whore who can’t even act the moans of the scene.” The man picked up the pipe once more. “You need to be more …selective. I expect nothing but the best.”

“Aye, Master. I will try better.” Reynaldo acknowledged his shortcomings. “It was long the delay for you.”

“Yes, it was. At the castle, I had to confront her daily and yet was unable to do what I desire. It has been years and even the holidays away, we can’t be together…. Alone for any. She still harbors the urge for the impotent one, and despite my overtures, she still thinks him the one to take her virtue.”

“Aye, Master. It pains me to see you ….deprived.”

“Deprived! I was not. I could have any I want. Their sacrifice offered with their sight removed, I am pleased for the one I was to release my desire was not them but her. Yet she was denied to me.”

“Aye, Master. She may come to …. Desire you one day.”

“I hope so, Reynaldo. But first I must part them away. Hamlet does not deserve her. He is impotent to her love. Ophelia shall be mine, and mine only.”

“Yes, Master. Your father asked of you.”

“So soon, and it was only a night that I had left him.”

“He cares, I guess,” Reynaldo muttered.

“Yes, he is concerned but he cares more for Norway. It what’s keeps him moving. I wonder how he fares now that the King is dead… prematurely. Instead of the Prince, an Emperor sits there. His plans go awry. He sees the Prince as inconclusive.”

“Yes, I heard that he holds other plans now.” Reynaldo slotted his words carefully.

“The Great Chamberlain is forever revising the script to appease the actors. I wonder who he has in mind now with the King dead.”

“To whom or for whom, it shall be determined,” Reynaldo uttered.

 

 

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...