Friday, February 3, 2023

Hamlet; the Noir Adaption 2023 Act 1 Scene 2 Subscene 6

 Act One Scene Two

Sub-Scene Six

Friends and Loyalty

“Horatio, I am glad to see you well, And to you all here.” Hamlet smiled and then brushed the tears from his eyes. He stood up to take the hands offered.

“I am the same, my Prince. Ever your loving servant, from the King to you.” Horatio had taken care of Hamlet when he was sent off at the age of five. He was by the young Prince’s side on lonely nights to soothe his fears. He whispered the words of comfort to the Prince on how much his father loved him.

“She did not.” Hamlet sounded his anger. “She was …”

“Hush, my Prince. Your mother is still yours. She won’t be to anyone else.” Those words held the emotion of the Prince, and upon his freedom years, he took leave of the nesting but he never forget his guardian’s words.

It was then.

“My servant? I will have that removed by the next day's break. We are friends.” Hamlet had not had many friends and the fewer ones stood before him.

“Marcellus?” Hamlet greeted the other. “I knew the scar tells you apart.”

“And to you, Sir?” Hamlet greeted the one he had not met.

“Barnados, my Prince. I served the King many years, never leaving his side.”

“Aye, I recall your face but not the name. I was away for a long time.” Hamlet looked at Horatio. “Too long.”

“I returned to the castle after you left for your own. The King had wanted you to be independent.” Horatio explained his presence there. "I missed the days we have.”

“I came to pay my respect to the King.” Horatio smiled. “We were not family and …”

“You are family. It was not my doing on who can come. But you are here now. Father will be pleased.” Hamlet stepped aside for the three aides to pay their respect.

“We saw you at the wedding,” Horatio spoke. “It was …”

“It’s not mine. It was my mother’s.” Hamlet took notice of the reference. “I came back for my father’s funeral.”

 “Indeed, My Prince. It followed hard upon.” Horatio felt the wedding was too rushed. “Madness…”

“Thrift, thrift, Horatio. Two sweeps with one reception. The freshly baked morning meals are cleared by the vultures. Or were they the crows? My father would have seen to it if he was with me.”

“I saw my father that day he died.” Hamlet sighed. “It was like he was with me.”

“Did you see him? I mean see him?” Marcellus cut in. Horatio grabbed his twin by the arm to pull him aside.

“Not for a long time. I left when I was five, and he never write to me. It was the mother but I never replied.” Hamlet reflected on his youth. Unknown to him, it was Horation who reported to the father.

“He was a man. A king in his land.” Hamlet felt embarrassed that he was to speak of a man he had not seen for decades. “I wished we had met more.”

“My Prince, I…No, we saw him..” Horatio uttered. “As late as last night.”

“My father? The King? I am sure you met him. You were with him most time. He may have even appeared in your dreams. He is a vain person.”

“No, my Prince. We saw …his ghost.”

“Ghost? I believe in no ghosts. It’s your imagination.” Hamlet laughed. “I thank all of you to entertain me, but I am not amused. My father the King is dead.”

“If one of us claimed to have seen him, I will deny it myself but all three of us were there.” Horatio voiced out convincingly. “We are not the three traders guided by the stars, but we were there to see the King. He was to speak to us as if we were told to be there.”

“Horatio, if it any others, I would have you buried here, but you are my trusted friend, Tell me more of the …the King I am to say. He was …no, he is still my father. There may a reason he appeared to you, as he did with me. He did make me come back after so long an absence.” 

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...