Monday, February 13, 2023

Hamlet; the Noir Adaption 2023 Act 1 Scene 4 Sub Scene 2

 Act One Scene Four

Sub-scene Two

The ghost arrived

“Could it be him? Let me speak to him the way he may understand.” Hamlet took to approach the ghost. The ghost was seen in his bathrobe and nightcap. He was floating toward Hamlet along the wall.

“Angels and ministers of grace, defend us! Be thou a spirit of health or goblin damned, Bring with thee airs from heaven or blasts from hell, be thy intents wicked or charitable.” Hamlet spoke. “Thou com’st in such a questionable shape.”

“Who are thee? That I will speak to thee. I’ll call thee “Hamlet,” “King,” “Father,” “Royal Actor” O, answer me!”Hamlet called out. His voice raised above the swinging music from the castle. It was his acting voice trained to carry far into the hall and his audience’s ears.

“Let me not burst in ignorance, but tell why thy canonized bones, hearsèd in death have burst their cerements? Why the sepulcher, wherein we saw thee quietly interred, hath oped his ponderous and marble jaws?” Hamlet insistence to hear the ghost’s explanation. 

“You mean the King did return here?” Marcellus quivered in fright.

“To cast thee up again. What may this mean thou, corpse, again in complete steel, revisits thus the glimpses of the moon.” Hamlet points in the direction of the burial mound. “Making night hideous, and we the fools of nature so horridly to shake our disposition, with thoughts beyond the reaches of our souls?”

“Say, why is this? Wherefore? What should we do?” Hamlet looked at the ghost.

“It beckons me to follow it.” Hamlet saw the ghost wave its right hand. “It begs to go there.”

“Hold your action, my Prince. It’s dark there. Please don’t follow. We may lose track of you.”

“It won’t speak lest I followed. I will do so to know of its voice.” Hamlet took the stride forward.

“What if it tempts you toward the flood, my lord? Or to the dreadful summit of the cliff that beetles o’er his base into the sea, and there assumed some other horrible form, which might deprive your sovereignty of reason and draw you into ….. madness? Think of it.” Marcellus had taken the sense of the possible calamities that may unfold.

“Marcellus, we have no sea nearby. Silence will do you better than a voice.” Horatio snapped at his twin. He then turned to Hamlet.

“Caution, my Prince.”

“There is no sea nearby but a moat that is behind us. Its depth un-measured but to drown I may. It’s the very place puts toys of desperation; without more motive, into every brain
That looks like so many fathoms to the sea, and hears it roar beneath.” Hamlet said as if he was in the play Tempest facing the storm.

“You shall not go, my Prince.” Horatio held Hamlet back.

“Unhand me. I shall go. By heaven, I’ll make a ghost of him that lets me! 95
I say, away!—Go on. I’ll follow thee.” Hamlet left with the ghost leaving Horatio and Marcellus behind.

“What are we to do?” Marcellus chose to speak. “We were to meet only.”

“The Prince waxes desperate with imagination. He believes the ghost more than we.” Horatio replied.

“Do we follow then? We are the night guards here.” Marcellus asked.

“What are we to guard at night? Ghosts or enemies or both as they are. I think we are best to retire lest our sanity is taken to break.” Marcellus then looked to the castle where the celebration was still on. “Something is rotten in the state of Denmark? A death celebrated with joy instead of remembrance of memories.”

“If it’s, let Heaven be the judge.” Horatio then led Marcellus into the trail after Hamlet.

“To madness, we will entertain.” Horatio voiced out.



No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...