Friday, February 10, 2023

Hamlet; the Noir Adaption 2023 Act 1 Scene 3 Sub Scene 2

 Act One Scene Three

Sub Scene Two

Fatherly advise

“I stay too long. But here my father comes. A double blessing is a double grace. Occasion smiles upon a second leave.” The prodigal son reached for his suitcase.

“I should be on the ship by now. And here comes our father. Having him bless my leaving a second time will give my journey double the luck.”

“Yet here, Laertes?” Polonius stepped in and saw the son.

“Aboard, aboard, for shame! The wind sits on the shoulder of your sail and you are stayed for. There, my blessing with thee again.”

“I am to flee, Father.” Laertes took hold of his suitcase but was stopped by the other.

“And these few precepts in thy memory. Look at thou character. Give thy thoughts, no tongue there. ,Nor any unproportioned thought his act. Be thou familiar but by no means vulgar.” The elderly man took to preach to thre son. “Those friends thou hast, and their adoption there. Grapple them unto thy soul with hoops of steel but do not dull thy palm with entertainment from each new-hatched, unfledged comrade.”

“Beware the entrance to a quarrel, but being in, bear that the opposite may beware of thee. Give every man thy ear but few thy voice.” The sounder advice of the Great Chamberlain. “Take each man’s censure but reserve thy judgment. Costly thy habit as thy purse can buy.”

Ever a way out of any quarrel.

“But not expressed in fancy—rich, not gaudy, For the apparel oft proclaims the man, and they in France of the best rank and station.” Laertes was to return there.

“Are of a most select and generous chief in that. Neither a borrower nor a lender is, Or loan oft loses both itself and friend, and borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry. This above all: to thine own self be true. It must follow, as the night the day, thou canst not then be false to any man.”

“Farewell. My blessing season this in thee.” Polonius concludes his speech.

“Have you been talking to some ladies about my conduct towards their daughters?” Laertes defended his honor. “Most humbly do I take my leave, my lord.”

“The time invites you. Go. Your servants tend.” The Great Chamberlain stepped aside.

“Farewell, Ophelia, and remember well what I have said to you.” Laertes blew a departing kiss to his sister.

“It’s locked away in my memory, and you have the key.” Ophelia returned the kiss.

 


 

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...