Friday, February 10, 2023

Hamlet; t4e Noir Adaption 2023 Act 1 Scene 4 Interlude

 Act One Scene Four

Interlude

The ghost I was

“Father, I beg of thee.” Laertes pleaded with the father in his chamber at the castle. “I do not want to attend the same abode as him.”

“Both of you are friends since childhood. Your sister is the same. What is wrong to be educated to adulthood in the same abode?” Polonius stood by the fireplace with his eyes on the picture of his dead wife.

“Ruth, if you are still with us. Do educate the child here. He is …”

“Mother is dead, Father. She died years ago after the bout of madness.” Laertes snapped back.

“Madness? How dare you say your mother died of that? She was sane to her last breath.” Polonius was upset that his only son will accuse the mother of being mad. “She was ill.”

“Denial won’t save your soul, father. She died because of you. Your devotion to the King drove her mad. We are interned here in this castle because of you. My sister, God save her soul, was preserved here for the lust of the prodigal son.”

“Enough of this, Laertes lest I denounce you of your inheritance.” Polonius threatened the other.

“Our well being….your mother’s care were all of the King. If not for him, I would be struggling….No, I will be a speck of dirt in the street with you and your sister holding begging bowls.” Polonius owed a lifetime of gratitude to the King.

“The King took me off there and fed us, clothed us, and above all, even educate you and Ophelia…”

“Ophelia? Is that the name you called? Not, as a daughter but as another actor in the play.” Laertes moaned out his grief. “Are we all actors in the play here? Our fate is determined by the stroke of your pen.”

“Hush  your words, Laertes. I am still your father.” Polonius took offense to his works. He had been a playwright for the King and upon the King’s request, lines may be changed, and thus the mood of the play.

“And I thought we were the Capulets and Montagues to play out the fate of our children here?” Laertes referred to the play Romeo and Juliet where the fate of their union was to be the mainstay of the play. And it ended in tragedy.

“What madness ruled your young mind? You are only twelve of age now and yet you act with the rebellion of the older youth.”

“Pardon me, Father. This is not my mind that speaks but the years of voices listening to you and your plays. You are good at it, with the stroke of the pen, you could have changed Moses into near Godly in the looks.”

“Your theology studies alongside your sister may have paid off, but your mind is ever ruinous with twisted facts. Moses did return to his people with a shining face as told in Exodus 34:29-34. He did hold the metaphysical point of explaining that he was having the face of God. He later placed on the veil to cover the radiance of God.Polonius placed his thinking expression of his when have to describe a scene to the actors.

“But we must pace ourselves, find times to dim the intensity of our spiritual Light so that we can rest, relax and interact with others who might be blinded or frightened by seeing a Light that they are not yet ready to understand or accept. How will when know when to reach for the veil? God's guidance is as constant and certain within us as God's light.   Blessings!” (https://www.unity.org/bible-interpretations/exodus-3429-34-moses-came-down-mount-sinai-and-he-came-down-mountain)

“Bravo, Father. Once again you had to whelm your readers on the learning. Do you know that act by the King was given salutations that scored the headlines for weeks? Every play that week was overbooked twice the numbers.” Laertes said. “I am of young in years, but reading the news is my daily chore. As I read, I took notes yet none was said of you.”

“Enough of my plays, why do you resent going to the same abode as Hamlet?” Polonius pushed to change the subject.

“I am not his shadow, Father. Nor his ghost.” Laertes said out plainly. “I desire to be my man. I loved the plays like him, but I am more like you. I used the pen to develop my lines, and not the tone of my voice or the veil to hide my true radiance.”

“The actors shall read my lines though they may speak with their voice. I do not wish to be like you; the Great Chamberlain that pens those great lines yet he is to get the approval of the actor. I will not.”

“Son,” Polonius reduced to submission and finally pleaded with Laertes.

“We owe our lives to the King, and him, we will serve. One day, the King will be dead, and the next takes over. I want us to continue.”

“In servitude or as a peer? If my sister marries the impotent Prince, she may just be his peer as frigid as the cold snows but not me.”

“Why do you object to Ophelia with Hamlet?”

“None whatsoever. I am her brother and not her lover. She will decide on her own. As I will be my King in my land. I will famous not for a ghost nor a shadow but for my radiance.” Laertes finally spoke his piece. “I shall do as you pleased, Father. Once I am done with the studying, I will be on my trail to my kingdom.”

“So, you will go where Hamlet studies?”

“For now, my dear Father. I am still hanging onto your teats for milk.” Polonius headed out leaving the young boy to himself.  While on the walk to the hall, the elderly man ponders the words of his son.

He may be right for I am in the shadow of the King, but I owned no such kingdom. Be it, Hamlet the Prince one day be King, then with Ophelia as the wedded half, perhaps I may not lose it all.

Only if Hamlet is the next King.

The pen is stronger than the sword here.

 

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...