Monday, February 6, 2023

Hamlet; the Noir Adaption 2023 Act 1 Scene 2 Subscene 7

 Act One Scene Two

Sub-Scene Seven

My father, the King, and Ghost.

Two nights together had these gentlemen, Marcellus and Barnardo, on their watch by the main gate with the wall to their back.”  Horatio narrated his tale.

“In the dead waste and middle of the night, been thus encountered: a figure like your father; dressed armed at point exactly; he was in his bathrobe He carries a gun with him nightly. He appears before them and with solemn march goes slow and stately by them. Thrice he walked by their oppressed and fear-surprised eyes.”

“Within his truncheon's length, whilst they, distilled almost to jelly with the act of fear, they stood dumb and speak not to him. This to me within dreadful secrecy impart they did, and I with them the third night kept the watch.”

“It was a billy jack, Horatio.” Marcellus corrected the other. “We don’t have truncheons.”

Whereas they had delivered, both in time, the form of the thing, each word made true and good the apparition comes. I knew your father.” Horatio held out his hands. “These hands are not more like these.”

“Where was this again?”

“By the walls at the main gate.”

“Did you not speak to it?’

My Prince, I did but the answer made it none. Yet once methought it lifted its head and did address Itself to motion, like as it would speak. But even then the morning rooster crowed loudly, and at the sound, it shrunk in haste away and vanished from our sight.

“It’s strange.” Hamlet frowned his forehead.

As I do live, my Prince, this is true. And we did think it writ down in our duty to let you know of it.” It was then Horation reveal his visit to the grave.

Indeed, indeed, sirs, but this troubles me. Hold you the watch tonight?” Hamlet asked.

“We do, my Prince.”

“In his bathrobe? And sandals?” Hamlet asked.

“Yes, my Prince. His favorite.”

“His nightcap on?” The King wore a nightcap when he goes to sleep. He claims it keeps his memory of the script intact in him.

“You saw not his face?”

“Oh, yes. We did. His cap was to the rear of his head. His ears expose.” Horatio replied. “His countenance was anger. No, it was more of a horror. He was not ready for it.”

“Was he … pale or white?”

“I can’t tell. It was a ghost we saw. All looked white then.”

“I will watch it tonight.” Hamlet was intrigued. “If it assumes my noble father's person, I’ll speak to it, though Hell itself should gape, and bid me hold my peace. I pray you all, if you have hitherto concealed this sight, let it be tenable in your silence still.

“And whatsoever else shall hap tonight, give it an understanding, but no tongue. I will requite your love. So fare you well upon the platform, twixt eleven and twelve, till I visit you.”

“Thank you, Father. Your final play may still stay my mind from madness.” Hamlet smiled.

“Is he mad, Horatio?” Marcellus asked. “He looked like one now with it.”

“Let the ghost decides,” Horatio replied.

 

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...