Tuesday, February 21, 2023

Hamlet; the Noir Adaption 2023 Act 1 Scene 5 Sub-scene 3

 Act One Scene Five

Sub-Scene Three

The hunt is on

“Horatio, he speaks in tongues. Shall we clobber him senseless to bring him back?” Marcellus motioned to Hamlet’s gibberish words. “I got my billy jack.”

“Nay, Marcellus. Hamlet is in his element. He speaks in the way he was trained. I need to check on his well-being and if you lay a hand on him, it will you to talk in tongues soon.”

“My Prince! My Prince! Are you well?” Horatio approached Hamlet.

“I will secure him.” Marcellus rushed toward Hamlet but was stopped by Horatio.

“Hillo, ho, ho, boy! Come, bird, come!”

“What news, my Prince? You met the ghost then?”

“Wonderful!”

“You can tell us.” Horatio stood by Hamlet.

“Nay, not a word. Not a whisper, I am telling you now. The King was done in the foulest manner.” Hamlet said. “The Emperor did him that.”

“That was …. Not expected. Does the …”

“My mother had a hand in it.” Hamlet sighed. “She who looks plain yet deceitful.”

“It’s true there is rotten in the state of Denmark.” Horatio sighed.

“I am told to hush it. And so, without more circumstance at all, I hold it fit that we shake hands and part.”

“You, as your business and desire shall point you for every man hath business and desire and my poor part,
I will go pray.” Hamlet bowed his head. 

“These are but wild and whirling words, my Prince.” Horatio looked to the Prince who looked back.

“I am sorry they offend you, heartily; Yes, faith, heartily.” Hamlet smiled. “You have my welfare in your care.”

“There’s no offense, my Prince but …” Horatio was cut off.

“Yes, by Saint Patrick, but there is, Horatio, And much offense, too. Touching this vision here”, Hamler looked to where the ghost was floating. “It is an honest ghost—that let me tell you for your desire to know what is between us. And us alone.”

“O’ermaster ’t as you may. And now, good friends, As you are friends, scholars, and soldiers, Give me that one poor request.” Hamlet reached out to Horatio.

“What is ’t, my lord? We will.” Horatio looked at the Prince.

“Never make known what you have seen tonight.” Hamlet was stern in his words.

“My Prince, we will not.” Horatio nodded.

“Nay, but swear it, ” Hamlet demanded. “Never make known what you have seen tonight.”

“My Prince, we will not.” Horatio and Marcellus voiced out in unison.

“Upon your souls and mine,” Hamlet added.

“We have sworn, my Prince….  Already.”

The ghost cries under the ground where they stood. A voice heard only by Hamlet.

“Swear…”

“Ha, ha, boy, sayst thou so? Art thou there, true penny?” Hamlet stomped the ground with his feet. “Come on, you hear this fellow in the cellarage. They have sworn not?”

“Propose the oath, my Prince.” Horatio held steady to protect the Prince but the Prince was looking at the ground.

“Rest, rest, perturbèd spirit.” Hamlet turned to look at Horatio.

So, gentlemen, with all my love I do commend myself to you, And what so poor a man as Hamlet is. May do to express my love and friending to you.”

“God willing, shall not lack. Let us go in together, and still your fingers on your lips, I pray. The time is out of joint. O cursèd spite That ever I was born to set it right!” Hamlet made his oath.

“Nay, come, let’s go together.” Hamlet motioned to Horatio who follow him. Marcellus stood there unsure of what had happened but reckon in his mind, the Prince may indeed be mad.

“He speaks in tongues.”

“Go your way, Marcellus.” The one standing there turned icy cold on hearing his name. He rushed to catch up with Horatio.

“Did you call me just now?”

“I did, and you here,” Horatio replied.

“How thoughtful of you.” Marcellus proceeded to walk ahead lest he was left behind again.

 

 

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...