Friday, February 17, 2023

Hamlet; the Noir Adaption 2023 Act 1 Scene 5 Sub-scene 2

 Act One Scene Five

Sub-Scene Two

This “lily-livered” no more.

Once while in his studies, young Hamlet was challenged by some of the seniors on the playing field. It was after the game of cricket, and with the bats stored away, the boys cornered the younger Hamlet then.

“Go prick thy face and over-red thy fear, thou lily-livered boy.” The boys called out to Hamlet with the words from Macbeth to call him a coward.

“I am not one. Pick your numbers and take me on.” Hamlet had challenged back. “Or come all as the English do.”

“This push will cheer me ever or disseat me now.” Hamlet quoted the extracts from the play on facing the overwhelming odds.

“He will be done.” The leader of the seniors rushed toward Hamlet but they stopped when they saw the burly figure of Hamlet’s guardian approaching.

“Run! His guardian is here.” The seniors scattered off while Hamlet stood there fretting with anger. He turned to Horatio.

“You could have let me at them. I would have taken one bloody nose or two.”

“And have you infirm with more bones than your mother will be allowed to heal.” Horatio looked at the younger man. “Do not make my task more difficult than that to keep up with your antics.”

“All I did was pour salt into their water? Hamlet smiled. “They were perspiring too much.”

“Aye, you did but do let me know. I would have added in the pepper.” Horatio laughed. It was the bond they have built.

It was still there that night.

“My Prince, are you well?” Horatio finally caught up with the other. “We lost you in the woods.”

“It was your fault, Horatio. You were running blind like the bat.” Marcellus cut in. “I bruised my left knee on the last fall.”

“You held the lamp.” Marcellus reminded the other. “I only follow the voice.”

 Hamlet was in his thoughts about what he was told.

“O all you host of heaven! O Earth! What else? And shall I couple hell? O fie! Hold, hold, my heart, and you, my sinews, grow not instant old but bear me stiffly up. Remember thee?” Hamlet looked at his legs which were quivering from the short walk by the walls. He was not unhealthy but the sudden adrenaline had subsided and the strength wane.

“Ay, thou poor ghost, whiles memory holds a seat in this distracted globe. Remember thee? Yea, from the table of my memory.” Hamlet recalled his talk with the ghost. “I’ll wipe away all trivial, fond records, all saws of books, all forms, all pressures past, That youth and observation copied there, and thy commandment all alone shall live within the book and volume of my brain.”

“Unmixed with baser matter. Yes, by heaven!” Hamlet roared out in anger while he purge the memories of his youth. “O most pernicious woman!”

Hamlet sighed at the evil deeds of his mother.

“O villain, villain, smiling, damnèd villain! My tables—meet it is I set it down that one may smile and smile and be a villain.” Hamlet was told not to harm his mother. He shall not but keep his table with her.

“At least I am sure it may be so in Denmark.” Hamlet hissed his desire. “Only at this home, mother I will hold my hand against you.”

“As for him, my dear uncle and soon-to-be-named Father by me, now o my word, it is “adieu, adieu, remember me.” I have sworn to it your smile shall be mine to remove.”


 

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...