Sunday, December 27, 2020

Arthur II Book 2 Chapter 24

 

24.

 

Jaseth picked up the removed armors of the knight while he lay down on the grass under the roof of the shed. It was near the well beside the hut. He had requested the lady from the hut to rest there.

“My abode could not accommodate both of you.” The lady had told Jaseth. “Use the grass to make bedding. I will serve you supper later.”

“I can understand, woman. We will be fine there.” Jaseth had then assisted his knight to remove the armor and brought water from the well.

“Shall I clean you, Sire?” Jaseth asked. The knight did not reply at all. He was fast asleep. The squire sponged the cloth and then wiped the knight of his limbs. He paused at the tunic and was hesitant. He knew that the knight will not reveal his chest.

“You may, squire.” The knight sighed. “I am too tired.”

With that, Jaseth raised the tunic and saw the scarred chest and torso.

“The marks showed you the vulnerable parts of the body besides the neck that could maim or kill the attacker. Study it well, for those are your target in a battle.” The knight spoke. “I have been attacked there many times but I am saved not only the will of mine to live but also by the amulet on my chest.”

The amulet was the design of a striking serpent and hung by the neck.

“It was handed to me as a gift by the druid named Gildas when I saved him from the demons. He told me the amulet will protect me from demonic wounds. It will allow me to hunt the demons that roamed the land. Hence, I wore the armor of the Green shade to symbolize living growing beings.”

“However well I was protected I was not by mortal wounds and which I have avoided with my recluse living. I was challenged by many and most I had fought to victory. The wounds inflicted on me are the results of those challenges. I am getting old and feared that if my wounds don’t end y mortality, my age may.”

“Jaseth, I may not ride anymore but you could. You will be the next Green Knight. See to it that the demons do not torment the land.” The dying knight told the squire.  

“I am unworthy of the quest, Sire. My fighting skills are at best, poor, and …” Jaseth sighed.

“A squire you will not be. You will be Sir Knight. Study the wounds and know their path. Strike there and you will be given victory. As for your other skills, believe in yourself. You have studied exorcism with others. Use those skills with the amulet to protect you.” The knight drew his last breath then.

It was then Jaseth saw the arrival of the riders that had fought with the knight earlier. He hid the armor beneath the pile of grass.

“Young man, did you see a knight ride by here?” Percival asked.

“No, Sire. I am with my …... father. He is resting. We are farmers.” Jaseth replied and the four riders took off to the nearby treelines.

“You lied well, son.” Jaseth turned to look at the lady who had offered them shelter.

“Fear not. I will not betray you. We have much to do to lay him to rest. Put him by the tree there. He will share the plot with my husband and son.” The lady told Jaseth. “Then after come in for supper.”

Percival reached the trees and stopped. The brothers stopped beside him.

“We have lost the knight and also the lady…” Percival sighed. They had reached the coast and at the border of the lady’s home. He had then knocked on the covered wagon to tell the ladies. They stepped out in a daze with the assistance of the driver.

“Where is Lady Guinevere?” Percival asked.

“She did not travel with us. She took off on horseback earlier.”

That was when Percival rode off to seek the knight but his search was not to yield results.

“We have failed in our task. We lost the lady.” Percival sighed. 

“We should have checked the wagon earlier.” Gawain cried out. Galahad was to strike his brother but Gaheris stopped him.

“He is young,” Gaheris said.

“And so, where the two of you not arguing over a lady?” Galahad reminded the brother. “We are brothers, for family sake stop the argument.”

Galahad then rode to join Percival. They were en route to Camelot.

Lady Igraine realized that Guinevere was kidnapped rushed to find help but there was no one. The knights were at Mount Badon, the druid missing and the ladies won’t see her at the Lake. She stood by the full length of the mirror in her chamber.

“I summoned thee, Morgause Le Fay.” Lady Igraine called but no one appeared. She tried several times but to no avail. Then a voice called her from the near corner. It was a young lady in a white gown.

“Who are you? Are you from the lake?”

“I am Morgan Le Fay. I was from the Lake but we left together.”

“We? We who?” Lady Igraine was puzzled.

“With my sister, Morgause Le Fay.”

“Impetuous of your action.” Lady Igraine replied. “The Lake…”

“The Lake was a prison to us all.” Morgan flicked her right index finger and Lady Igraine found herself in the mirror then. “Like you are now a reflection of the mirror.”

“Let me out!” Lady Igraine called out.

“In due time. Why did you summon my sister? You never did like her.” Morgan questioned the lady. “I can tell that your beloved daughter is held against her will. And, yes the Green Knight is dead.”

“Dead as in perished. He evaded the wounds of the demons but he could not of age. He aged from his battles and now truly dead.” Morgan laughed. “So much for the protector.”

“Spare Guinevere. I will do anything for you.” Lady Igraine pleaded from the mirror.

“Anything? Oh, you will but I am not like Morgause. She lies with anyone she may find desirable. Infallible to her lust, she will go for anything …. I do wonder; you of many she could have. I am more …shall, I say have my preferences.”

“Spare me. I will be your …”

“Pathetic, all of you. I will never beg on anyone.” Morgan declared. “I have bidding of you. Get me close to Arthur. I find him most …. Intriguing.”

“Arthur? I …”

“Fear not, Lady Igraine. It’s not him I want. Your Guinevere can have him. I want is his sword.” Morgan told her intention. “If you agree, I will release you from the mirror.”

Lady Igraine nodded and she was released. She looked at Morgan.

“Oh, your concern for Guinevere. She will be fine. I am told Lancelot is looking for her. Morgause won’t harm Lancelot. She loves him like her own.”

With that Morgan left the chamber. Lady Igraine was unsure of what was to do and tore at her hairdo for ideas. Desperation ruled her mind then.

It was not only but it also inflicted on the mind of young Meleagant. He was in the old monastery and could not locate the old monk. He saw the heated broth over the fireplace. It shimmered but not boiled over.

“Where are you, old fool?” Octavia had paced and searched for the monastery. He turned to the doorway and saw his servant there.

“What are you doing here?” Octavia shouted at the servant.

“I came as always, master on your request to bring food here,” Adois replied.

“Have you no mind, Adois? The food you delivered is in the store, rotted and uneaten.” Octavia screamed. “The monk was not eating them. He ...”

“Step over here. Adois. I am in need to do you.” Octavia in his rage felt his urges.

“Here, Master. This is a monastery…”

“I cared not. I am Octavia Meleagant.” The young master called out in anger. They may watch for all I cared.”

 Adois did as he commanded bent over the wooden stool. He raised his tunic carefully to conceal the wounds of the past beatings. The young Master had no mercy on the servant forcing himself on the other. Adois suffered the indignity while the other grunted his lust. He spied a kitchen knife on the flooring; rusted but held a length deep to cut. He grabbed it and pushed the Master off him.

“What the…” Young Meleagant called out when he fell back. He sat there on his haunches with the legs spread.

“Enough! You have your pain upon me. Enough I say. I will skewer you.” Adois rushed towards the fallen young Master.

“No!” Adois was stopped in his attack when the sword pierced his left ribs. He looked to the wound and from there to the holder.

“Die, you oaf.” It was Bardel Meleagant who held the sword and had it plunged in deep. “None may harm my son.”

 

 


 

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...