Tuesday, December 15, 2020

Trojan War Chapter 22

 

22.

The feast of the Spartan turned somber when the King took on the important announcement.

“I will wed Helen to the suitor today, but I will call on the others who did not get to wed her to swear an oath to protect her. Or battle with Sparta with whoever that challenge Sparta over her.” King Tyndareus looked at the gathered. “Take that oath of allegiance or leave now.”

“Who will challenge us besides the twelve of us?” The Macedonian roared out.

“The Olympians perhaps!” A Babylonian replied.

“Then we will battle them together.” The Spartan roared out. “Without honor, we might as well be dead.”

“We stand united.” Agamemnon roared out and the gathered all agreed.

“Then I will select the suitor for my daughter, Helen.” King Tyndareus then made the call. “I called on the daughter of mine to stand here to be received by her man.”

“I called on King…”

“I say we hold on.” It was Paris of Troy who appeared at the Hall after alighting from a hovercraft that stopped by the Palace. He had alighted with his prize bull beside him.

“Who dares to interrupt?” King Tyndareus shouted at the other.

“I am in Paris of Troy. I demand my right as given to me by the choice by Aphrodite. She told me of my choice of beauty to be mine. I have heard that name and chosen her. She will be Helen of Spartan.”

“Who dares?” The Macedonian called out.

“I do and I win.” Troy raised his arms. “I hold the prize bull of Ares. It’s under my control. I will release it if anyone fights me. You are all defenseless against it.”

“You will not take her, Trojan. She is to be wedded to my brother, Menelaus.” Agamemnon held up the ticket. “I hold the number.”

“And when has a King send forth his emissary to wed his lover?’ Paris hit back and the Archaeon reacted in anger.

“The honor of my King will not be belittled by one who is a herder,” Agamemnon replied. “State your claims and prove its worth to the King of Sparta, or be gone.”

“I stand by my claim as given by Aphrodite the Goddess.” Paris stared at the others. “Challenge me and you will suffer the wrath of Aphrodite.”

“Do you love Helen?” Paris looked at Agamemnon. “No, you are not her suitor. You are the emissary to court her. I may have to ask her then.”

“Helen, who do you desire? Yes, desire. You are a woman and do not have much of a choice after all.” Paris looked at Helen who was looking distressed by the looks of the argument. He then approached her. He held out his right hand towards her.

“Hold my hand and feel my love,” Paris told her. She did and then felt the prick on her right finger. It made her twitched and then her feelings mellowed. Paris smiled. He was given a gift by Aphrodite.

“You can wear it on your finger and when she touches you, you will prick her with it. With the serum in her, she will be yours to command.” Aphrodite smiled. “I used it on the men. They became my servants. I liked it.”

It was then the Hall was to hear the very words that Helen was to utter.

“I want to be with Paris of Troy.” It was received with the gathered hushed by her words. She added to that.

“I love him.” It was unheard of for anyone to utter those words among the worlds. Love was a sacred word not used at all.

“Blasphemy!” The word was in low murmurs and then it was said by the lips of the others.
“She uttered the forbidden word.”

Helen ignored the gathered and approached Paris.

“Take me away,” Helen told Paris. The young couple took off on the hovercraft undisturbed by the others as if they were in trance. The hovercraft left but the bull was left at the Hall.

“Someone get the guards.” It was too late. The bull roared and charged at the guests. It went for the Macedonians who were nearby and then the Spartans. It was Achilles who reacted with bravery. He grabbed a skewer and jumped onto the bull’s back. He held on with his legs while he crawled onto the head. He impaled the skewer into the head and bull snorted in pain before it dropped on its legs.

Achilles stood up to the roar of the gathered.

“Troy will pay for that intrusion.” The gathered roared and the Trojan’s there all left by the side entrances.

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...