Sunday, December 27, 2020

Trojan War Chapter 26

 

War and warriors II

 

26.

Odysseus was not at the palace of his kingdom. His aides announced that he was at the farm with his family.

“At the farm? What is he doing there?” Menelaus had asked. “I knew him to be a warrior and not a farmer.”

“He is farming/.” Menelaus was told. “King Odysseus is overseeing the farm there. There are no battles to fight over with the protection of the Olympian.”

“Well, he is mistaken. We are at war on Troy.”

It was what Penelope heard when she stood by Odysseus to look at the huge farm before them.  

“I heard that Troy is at war with the other worlds,” Penelope told him soon after his return from Sparta. He had attended the so-named wedding of Helen then, much to his reluctance to be there but Menelaus had convinced him otherwise. He had also taken the oath of loyalty to fight if Helen was ever threatened. He recalled his words to Agamemnon.

“Agamemnon, I will do it but only because you asked of me for your King but towards the Spartans.” Odysseus did reply but he had thought it was a frivolous oath for who will defy the Archaeon worlds. Unfortunately for him, that oath was called on when Helen was taken.

“Odysseus, it was said that you partake in the oath to protect Helen then.” Penelope had reminded him. “You promised me that you will not battle anymore. Do you recall the Peloponnesian conflict then?”

During the Peloponnesian conflict, Archaeon was at battles against the Spartans. It was fought over three phases and finally ended with the battle known as the Ionian War.  It was the Archaeon fleet that was defeated with the new weapon that was given to the Spartans by Ares then.

“These new ion cannons will decimate the fleet,” Ares assured the Spartans. It was proven and it ended the conflict with the Olympian’s arbitrating. Odysseus recalled that conflict and it was then he turned away from the wars. He had wanted only peace.

Odysseus turned to his lover and nodded.

“I did partake but it was a feast of words. However, my promise to you is faithful. I will decline them when they come for me.”

“I think that is not far for I heard that they are nearby,” Penelope replied.

“Who are they? Menelaus? Agamemnon?”

“I heard both. You are to meet them.” Penelope told him. Odysseus went into a silent mood and did his thinking. He cannot disavow the oath but he was not keen to go into battle. He thought of a plan and went to work on it. Soon, the Archaeon leaders arrived with a small retinue of guards. They saw Odysseus at the farm, observing the new method of farming. The warrior was with a son there while Penelope approached the King and his entourage.

The farmers have used the ox and an ass affixed to both ends of the plow. The ox dug up the hard soil and the ass at the rear trampled the soil to flatten it.

“The ox is unhappy.” The farmer had advised Odysseus. “It took the main work and the ass work without any real effort.

“Keep the ass on the line. It’s like the march of the warriors.” Odysseus had called out but the two creatures are not in unison.

“Hail, Odysseus. I called upon you to fulfill an oath you took.” Agamemnon called out when he arrived. It was Penelope who greeted the two leaders.

“Odysseus is unwell. Since his return and with his lengthy effort at the farm, he was unwell in his thoughts.” Penelope had said. “Of late, he has grown weak with the meals not taken.”

“Odysseus is weak? Is he unsound of the mind? His strength and cunning skills are matchless.” Menelaus had replied. “I have seen him lift boulders to rescue his men. Maybe he needs is to go back to the battles”

“Odysseus is battling his new farm. He will recover when he … do but your arrival does not help.” Penelope defended her lover.

“Then he may not be the leader we need.” King Menelaus had sighed. “When he has a woman to speak for him?”

“Hush, my brother. I have known Odysseus for ages. He is a brave warrior and a wise leader.  He may be …” Agamemnon looked at the warrior trying to fit into the other life offerings. “Perhaps, I can talk to him.”

“Let me do it, my King.” An aide named Palomedes stepped forth. The aide walked towards Odysseus. He then took out the blaster on the right hand and wounded the ox at the hind with a slight wound. That wound was too enraged the ox and it went berserk. It dragged the plow dragging the ass at the rear.

“Run!” Odysseus called out to the farmers. He saw his son was in the way of the raging ox. He had to save his son. He rushed at the raging bull and got in between the ox and his son. He leaped onto the ox and grabbed it horns to direct it away. With his immense strength, he pulled at the horns to steer it away,. He got the ox to turn but the plow at the rear was going to hit his son in the wide swing.

“Run!” Odysseus called out but his son stood still. It was inevitable that a tragedy was forthcoming but Odysseus was spare of it.

“Here’s your son, Penelope.” Agamemnon handed the child to the mother. It was his quick thinking that had saved the boy. He had rushed in and grabbed the boy to safety. He had hurt his left heel in the rescue and he had to limp.

“You are hurt, Agamemnon.” Penelope noticed the limp but the attention had moved onto Odysseus who was trading punches with Palomedes.

“Bastard! I will kill you.” Odysseus had slammed his fist at Palomedes in the chest. “My boy could have been killed.”

“We do get hurt in battles.” Palomedes retreated and was to reply with his fists when Menelaus stopped the fight.

“Stop the fight now.” Menelaus looked at the two. “Palomedes, you will leave us now.”

“As for you Odysseus. Spare me your imbalance in the mind. You are never a farmer but a warrior. I want you in my next war against the Trojans. They have shamed me when they took Helen.”

“Menelaus, Helen is not worth the war,” Odysseus replied in anger.

“No war is without its worth. We have been battling for generations. It dated back to our forefathers. We have been at war for eternity. It was only the Olympians who stopped us. That will end now. We will battle Troy and then Macedonia, and then the Argos.”

“My King, you are…” Odysseus was stopped.

“Mad? I am not. We are not. War is our rights of passage.” Menelaus looked at Odysseus. “Helen is just the reason to resume it. You must join me. You are an ally of Archaeon….. No, you are Archaeon by birthright. Go back to your fleet, rearmed it, and be ready to get my order, Odysseus of Archaeon.”

The silence that prevailed was brief and Odysseus nodded. He knew his real place was in the wars. Not any farms.

Not any promise to Penelope.

“Forgive me, my love. I must go.” Odysseus told Penelope.

“Don’t ask for my forgiveness for I am your woman. Get your forgiveness form within you. Battle it out and come back to me …well. I will wait for you.” Penelope declared her faithfulness to her lover.

“I will come with you, King Menelaus but I will find another to battle with me,” Odysseus told his King. “We can’t win without him.”



No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...