Thursday, December 10, 2020

Trojan War Chapter 20

 

20.

Ares had more than his fill of the feasts and having a couple of stares down with the guest whe3n he was caught flirty with their lovers. There were the few rare stares down but none was taken to conflict. It was not his intention to sought conflict but it was his nature who initiated it but in the presence of Zeus, none will take it further to the next level.

“You will fear me one day when Zeus is no more here.” Ares had used that phrase every time he departed. He felt the stale statement was itching into his soul and then he saw Paris. The Trojan was by himself at the corner holding the goblet with the half-filled nectar wine.

“Are you bored, Trojan?” Ares approached Paris. “Are the bulls missing their aggressive nature?”

“No, Ares. They are fine” Paris had brought in three more bulls in their cages and placed all four of the cages in the four corners to be watched by the guests.

“Are the guests mystified by the bulls?” Ares looked around at the guests. He saw a number of them were staring at the bulls which were snorting inside the cage with their front legs digging into the metal surface.

“They are but the cage and guests are getting agitated. The cage and guests are scaring them. The pacifying serum may be wearing out.” Paris replied with concern.

“Then the feast attraction may need to be altered,” Ares told Paris. “Sedate and sealed the cages. Then move them out. Their droppings are beginning to contaminate the feast environment.”

Ares turned to look at the others and saw Athena.

“Judgment time,” Ares muttered to himself. He approached the Goddess who was with some guests.

“And hello to all of you. And to you, Athena too. Are you well? You looked pale.” Ares looked at the Goddess. Athena was dressed like Ares in her armor with the chest plate and metal greaves on the limbs.

“I can see that you are dressed to battle? Are we to be invaded? Perhaps by the Frontier armies. I hear that they have gotten new loads of weapons.”

“Delivered by you perhaps. I hear we are without several loads of rare metals. The same ones which we used for the shields on the mothership.” Athena stared at Ares.

“Perhaps we need to ask Hephaestus. He is the wizard with the metals. You should know for you to meet him frequently for supplies to the Frontier.” Ares deferred the reply.

“Am I being judged now?” Athena glared at Ares. “You will adore being a judge.”

“Judging? I am to be one.” Ares then roared out. “Thank you for coming to the feast. I am Ares the God of War and now God of No War.”

Everyone turned to look at Ares, and that even included Zeus. The almighty was most upset for he does not like to be usurped at his feast. He was to comment when Ares continued.

“I, Ares once more welcome you. I am …. Intrigued with the multitude of worlds here. And the beauties.” Ares smiled and all the women smiled while the men frowned, but not all were the same. A few of the Goddess was annoyed.

Hera.

Aphrodite.

Artemis.

Athena.

“Were you to be upstage?” Aphrodite was whispered in the ears by her aide.

“No, I won’t be.” Aphrodite stepped out and then added her voice to the welcoming note.

“I am Aphrodite. Who dares to challenge me on the beauty?” The Goddess laid out the challenge. “I am who is considered the … beautiful.”

“And so will I,” Athena added her name to the contention. “Do you feel matched? Or you may want to sideline yourself.”

“Goddess, or whoever you may be. I am the one you need to meet.” Artemis cut in. “I am Artemis.”

“Woman, we know you. I know you. You are a huntress.” Ares mimicked the Goddess in the stance of notching the arrow on a bow. “And then kaboom!”

“Who are you to judge us?” Artemis challenged Ares.

“Now, don’t be coy. I may be deceitful.” Ares looked at Artemis. “I will get another to judge. I called on the judgment of a common world inhabitant. I called on Paris to do it. I will place on the beautiful the ‘golden apple’ of Eris from the Garden of the Hesperides. It a coveted item for anyone including the Gods. The creation of Eris which were her rare ones before she went into isolation.”

Eris from the Garden of the Hesperides was a sculptor from a dwarf planet outside the twelve worlds and yet it was taken in by conquest by Zeus. It would have been the third world but the Garden of the Hesperides was a single planet, without any weapon but none will invade it for they are valued what the world can do for them. Garden of the Hesperides produce mystical items and the rarity of their design made them valuable to any worlds. Eris was one of the better ones but her works were rare. Her last creation was the Golden Apple.

“Judge them, Paris of Troy.” Ares looked at Paris. “Be the judge on the competition. Please line up, my dear Goddess. Paris will tell who wins, or lose.”

“Me? Judge?” Paris was stunned by the request. “I trained bulls.”

“And I waged war.” Ares smiled. “Judging it like war.”

“They are … Goddess. I am ….” Paris stammered. “I …”

“Judgment, Paris. Yours and only you can decide.” Ares told the bull herder. “I entrust that to you.”

“Judge me, herder.” Artemis looked at Paris.

“Me too.” Hera voiced up. “Artemis, stay out.”

“I will not be denied.” Aphrodite voiced out. “I am beautiful.”

“Paris, are we blinding you? Perhaps I can assist.” Hera did the first call. “I offered you a world. A brand new world. Bigger than the twelve worlds. A new huge world.”

“I offered you the wisdom and skills in war. What is a world without the means to command it? I can offer you that. You can be equal to Ares or better than him.” Athena did the next call.

“I can offer you nothing material like theirs. I can however offer you what is not available at the whims of conquest but on creation, it evolved.” Aphrodite spoke of the only best in evolution. “I offered you the beauty to match yours. Your attempt to pro-create will move the world to do your bid. You will be the known King of the Kings, Emperor of the Emperors and your world will be the focus of the worlds.”

Paris took a step back. He was given the choice that many would have fought and killed for. Yet they can’t for it was never offered before.

“I cannot judge. I am a herder…” Paris bowed his head. “I am not a God. I am no Olympian.”

“Then be the Trojan you are. Troy was once brave and notable as warriors. Use that instinct to judge your choice. Be brave, Trojan.”

 

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...