Thursday, December 31, 2020

Weekend Special Short Tales California 2.1 Chapter 9

 

9.

Sean hid behind the tree trunk with the splinters of the trunk at his feet. He had remained unmoving to avoid the random shooting by the Cartel side. He was unsure whether the Cartel leader was doing the shoot or by the other guards.

“Sean, I am moving forward. I need to have a better spot.” Sean heard the call but he was reluctant to look at where Master Gunner was. The smoke was more intense with the fire and he was losing his focus. He knew that he had to move to avoid being caught by the fire or die from the smoke. He went down on his elbow and knees to crawl away. It was not a silent move but more of desperation to getaway. He moved towards the hotel and then stopped at the garage. He leaned on the wall there and looked up at the hotel rooftop.

Sean had the rooftop seen at an angle but he could not make out the shooter. It had ended a minute ago but the fire was still spreading. The distance to the hotel entrance was about two hundred yards. He was contemplating to do the run and get in. He assessed his situation and decided to do the run.

Sean's stride was only five steps before he ducked back for cover. He was shot two times during that run.

“Fuck! Why did you shoot me?” Sean called out on the radio.

“You are still my target. I am not giving up as yet.” It was Master Gunner. “I wanted to tell you I have you in my sight.”

“Master Gunner, you are mad. We are up to our balls with the fire and you still want to fight me. Why don’t you focus on the Cartel for once?”

“Sean, I am part of the Cartel. I kill you and I can even up with Michael.”

Hey Gringo. Look here.” It was Michael who was calling the two of them. Sean looked up and saw Michael with the suitcase.

“Gringo, you want money. I got plenty. Whoever killed the other gets the loot.” Michael had then kicked the suitcase over the edge. “Come and take it all.”

The suitcase fell onto the ground and the lid fell opened. It then revealed the currency notes which billowed into the air from the sweeping wind.

“Money, gringo.” Michael called out. “Master Gunner, yours to keep if you kill the traitor.”

“Sean, it's yours too if you can kill.” Michael’s tone took on a raspy tone when the bullet. It was a headshot and it did come from either Sean or the veteran shooter.

“Stop the battle. Michael is dead. I shot him.” The communication officer called out.  “I shot him.”

Sean took the chance to do the run into the hotel. He made twenty steps before the shooting resumed. He did another hundred yards before he hit the front entrance. He was in the hotel lobby. He ran to the reception counter table and sprang over it. He stayed down on his haunches holding the rifle. He had not counted the shots but reckoned there were three before he reached the hotel.

Stark cursed at his shoots which were affected by the smokes.  He was feeling the exhilaration of the drug inhalation of the cocaine fumes too. He needed an antidote for it. He saw the bottle of vodka there at the counter.

“What the hell..” Sean grabbed the bottle and tore at the opening before gulping it down. The hard liquor burned his throat but it gave him a kick in the head. He was able to focus on the battle scene although he threw out some of its contents. He then left the rifle on the flooring. Nearby in the building, he will use his Glock for the fight. He took off on the run towards the stairs and then up the flight. He did not pause in his run until he was on the third level. He approached Michael’s office. The door was opened and he stepped in. He knew the layout and approached the desk. What he needed was in the desk’s low drawer. What he was looking for was missing.

“Jefe, I knew you will come here first.” Sean looked up to the one who spoke. It was the Communication guy and he was holding the M4 Carbine at the doorway.

“Jorge, it’s all over. Michael is dead. We can call it quits.” Sean looked at Jorge. “You can return home.”

“Gringo, my home is here. I was raised here. I am at home. You walked in here and took everything away.” Jorge looked at Sean. “I know what you want. Michael’s diary is with me. You won’t get it.”

“No, Jorge…” Sean did not complete his explanation. He saw Jorge’s head exploded from the shot at the rear to the left. Jorge fell knocking on the doorway and then to the floor.

“Sean, you are a dead man. I don’t like to see my retirement with you on my back.” The Gunner Master called out. “It’s only you or me.”

 

 

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...