Wednesday, December 23, 2020

Trojan War Chapter 25

 

25.

The defeat by King Menelaus had him to call on the discussion with the allies of Archaeon. He had called on Sparta, Hellas, Dardanes, and Cretan. He had not done the call for the others.

“I do not trust others. We had wars before.” King Menelaus voiced out.

“That was the past, Menelaus.” King Tyndareus had replied. “Just as we were, let the past remain the past.”

“I will not uproot the previous wars, but I have my mistrust on them. We have been allies and yet when the tide of the war turns, they have reneged on the alliance.”

“King Menelaus, I held from them, including yours, the oath to defend Helen, and in this case, re-take her back from Troy.” King Tyndareus looked grimly at the other King.

“I know of the oath. I stand by it, as though I took it and not Agamemnon. I am most in pain for Helen was to be my wedded. Yet, she eloped with the Trojan.” King Menelaus roared out. “I am the one insulted here.”

“Helen had not eloped. She was taken away. She was …. Bewitched by the other.” King Tyndareus defended his daughter. “I asked that we work as allies and punished Troy for it.”

“I had taken that action.” King Menelaus sighed. “A major loss to my fleet then.”

“If I may be blunt, you acted on your own. You could have…” King Tyndareus was cut off by the irate King Menelaus.

“I did not act harshly. I did what any Archaeon will do.” King Menelaus replied in anger. “Honor bound to punish the wrong.”

“I agree but we need to act coordinated. Troy is not an adversary.” King Tyndareus tried to draw reasons for the defeat. “I have …”

“Silence, King Tyndareus. I will …” King Menelaus was held back by Agamemnon.

“Hear him out, my King. King Tyndareus has a reason for the oath.” Agamemnon looked to King Tyndareus. “Speak your words, and we will …listen.”

“I am not alone to say that we have all grown complacent over the years. We have our armies, our fleets, and to whom did we battle? No adversary that will challenge us like the old wars.” King Tyndareus looked at the others. “I need the old warriors. The heroes of the wars are to re-ignite the valor in our warriors.”

“To whom can we call on?” Agamemnon looked at the King.

“Achilles, Odysseus, Nestor.” King Tyndareus mumbled. “There could be more but I can’t recall them all. Those are some names I can.”

“I can call on Ajax.” Menelaus offered a hero. “And Diomedes of Argos.”

“It will be great morale to the cause if we have them. I am sure the Trojans are busy getting their heroes.” King Tyndareus had said. The words of the heroes had not escaped the mind of the Trojans. King Priam himself had held pride in the defenses of Troy but he was concerned about the works of the armies.

“I heard the Spartans and their allies have looked to the old heroes for guidance.” King Priam had called on his own assembled leaders. “We cannot be seen to lax in that arena.”

“I will stand for you, King Priam.” Aeneas voiced out. “I am with Hector too.”

“We are few for we are one world against eleven others.” King Priam looked at the gathered and then sighed. “In the other wartime, I may have called on Achilles, Ajax, or even Menelaus.”

“We can call on the Gods. After all, Paris had taken Helen on the advice of Aphrodite. If we can get her on our side, she can call on Ares. None may match the influence of Ares.” Aeneas said. “But can we trust them? It may be an excuse by them to have us waged wars, and be the powerful one here.”

“I trust Aphrodite.” Paris had joined in the discussion. “Ares too.”

“How well do you know them?” Aeneas asked.

“I trained Ares’ bulls,” Paris affirms his claim. “And Aphrodite gave me Helen as a gift.”

Those words resonated in the Hall at Troy but the pending war did not evade the attention of the Olympians. Zeus had called for a gathering at the Hall.

“Who dares to declare war in my presence?” Zeus has looked at the Gods and Goddess. “I will …”

“Do nothing to stop them, Zeus.” Hera had cut in. he then lowered her tone and looked towards Zeus. “The worlds are for once truly united against one. It was unpresented before.”

“None will dare to declare war without my consent. And even if was there was a need, I would not have consented. They were to co-exist in peace under my purview.” Zeus had looked from Hera towards Ares. “Have you….”

“I don’t know such a thing although I valued their courage and war is my field.” Ares had defended himself. “Perhaps, Athena may lend us a light to the matter.”

“Denial may be your forte but to lure me into the issue is something new here.” Athena had stood her stand. “I have nothing to do with it. My only association of late with the worlds was the judgment by the imbecile Trojan.”

“And you were wronged.” Ares smiled.

“Misjudged and not wrong will be the appropriate reference. Aphrodite….” Athena was cut off by the other Goddess.

“I won on the judgment for it was a fair call. I offered Paris what was his woman.” Aphrodite had justified her win.

“A woman he may not have met then, and swooned over not by emotion but by the ring with the potion that you provided him. I can see the depth of your vices.” Artemis had challenged Aphrodite.

“How dare you ridicule me?” Aphrodite hit back. Artemis was to retort when Zeus stopped them.

“I will not discuss the conflict there. If the worlds chose to battle, then it will augur well for me. They may get weakened and then I will rout their Kings. I will be the Supreme King.” Zeus looked at the others. “Let no others get involved or they will face my wrath.”

Hera had looked away in disgust. She saw Aphrodite held the look of the scorned woman. She thought to herself that she may use me to her advantage.

 

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...