Tuesday, December 29, 2020

Trojan War Chapter 26A

 

26.A

“Lycomedes, I have my faith in you. Keep my son safe.” Thetis of Peleus had smiled at the other King who was a vassal also of the Archaeon. “We have been allies for many generations.”

Thetis was the Queen of the Nereids, the sea warriors who were the rivals of the Amazonian. These two rival clans of women have refused to be consenting to the whims of man and had defied them. Her defiance had attracted the attention of Zeus and Poseidon but her strong-willed to be independent had made them ever zealous to own her.

“Thetis is another woman.” Zeus had boasted that but he declined on his conquest when he was told by the Oracle of Olympia that the child of Thetis will defeat even the Gods if there was a conflict. Poseidon on hearing that had also withdrawn his claim upon her. With both the Gods declining, Thetis was taken for a lover by the King Myrmidons, an ally of the Nereids.

“The union of myself and Thetis will bring forth the best of us.” King Peleus had then announced and soon a boy was born.

His name was Achilles.

“Achilles will not wield any weapon from now,” Thetis told Lycomedes. “He will not battle in any conflict.”

“I heed you, Thetis. You have a fine son. Achilles …”

“Achilles is my son, and as my son, he was given the best of training in the skills of fighting as deserving for him. His father had taught him warfare but he has come of age that he will not be involved in it.” Thetis had told the other.

“Thetis, you cannot take the warrior out of him…”

“I cannot but he needs to be tamed. He will die….” Thetis swallowed her words then.

“He can’t. You had him reinforced in the Styx Method.” Lycomedes reminded the other. “It was …”

“Untested and I dipped him into it. It made him formidable but that does not mean he cannot die.” Thetis had taken the words of Here into her heart. “If he is to challenge the Gods one day.”

Achilles was not a strong boy who was why his parents had him coached but skills were not alone. He needed reinforcement. Not by others but within himself. Thetis had heard of the method; untested but she was adamant to do it. However, she was unsure then.

“You will not dip him inside without a means to pull him out. What if he drowned? Or he needed help.” The Styx Method was a prototype then and it involved a chemical-induced bath with the ion treatment to blend the chemical properties into the body frame. It was a new armor shield unseen by others. Its creator had died but Hephaestus had taken on the research but he was to give it up on seeing the possible effects of it. However, he got others to work on it, and finally, it was tested on Achilles.

“Attach a grab on his right heel. Use that to haul him up if needed.” Thetis had told the scientists. That was his exposed part of the armor and was why he wore the metal boots.

“Thetis, I cannot … I mean protect him but who will protect mine?” Lycomedes had raised the concern.

“Place him among the women. He will be safe there.” Thetis replied. “My Nereid will there too as personal guards.”

“I heard of your Nereid warriors. They are shapeshifters…” Lycomedes smiled.

“We can evolve into the hideous creatures but not into the likes of men. They won’t seduce your women.” And so it was agreed but Odysseus knew the other weakness of Achilles.

“Women, I came bearing gifts. “ Odysseus had arrived to meet Lycomedes. “Are we not allies? Unfortunately, gifts are your women.”

“Naturally, Agamemnon. You never amazed me that my daughters will ever wed you.” Lycomedes laughed out then. “Bring the women in. I will not be said to deny my ally another round of denial.”

The women of the household of King Lycomedes were soon to arrive and among them was one named Achilles. He was bored and heard Odysseus was there. He wanted to meet the other and sneaked in with the disguise as a woman.

The women were all swooned by the array of gifts but Achilles was staring at Odysseus. He had met Odysseus in the other palace of Peleus before.

“A fine occasion and I am in the mood to see a physical bout among … the Nereid perhaps. I can see them here.” Odysseus had seen the gathered Nereid there. They snared back in anger.

“Oh! I liked the fierce action of my women.” Odysseus smiled. “I will have my men challenge you. They will need to be armed to balance the fight.”

The guards that accompanied Odysseus drew their blasters and Lycomedes cut in.

“Odysseus, we need not that. Please arrange your exit alongside your gifts, and my women are not keen.” Lycomedes glared at Odysseus. The women there sighed and released the gifts back to Odysseus.

“There is no need, women. I saw the one I wanted to wed.” Odysseus had then stared at Achilles. “What made you sneak in that?”

“I am pleased to see you, Odysseus. You have traveled far to see me. Am I needed for your quest?”

“I hold no quest like of Heracles or that of the Argonauts with Jason? I am here to declare war on Troy. And I need you.” Odysseus laid out his request. “Only you can assist me in this war.”

Three of the Nereid posted there, rushed forth, and evolved into the scaly serpents with fangs at Odysseus. It was Achilles who stood in their attack. His ionized shield covered his body frame from head to his legs and lashed out with his fists into the three women serpent. His move was fast and each of the Nereid fell backward on impact.

“Do not strike at him. I command you, as your… Prince.” Achilles stood there in his newly covered body frame. The gown he wore was in tatters at his feet. “Stop or I will be forced to …’

“Stop!” The voice of Thetis sounded out. She had appeared not in person but the hologram there projected from Peleus. She turned towards Achilles.

“It looked like I cannot hide you forever not can I stop you from being who you are to be.” Thetis looked at her son. “I can only hope that you will do well. And win well.”

Thetis then looked at Odysseus.

“Keep him well, Archaeon. Or it will be a long journey to return, and if you ever do.” Thetis cautioned the other.

“Come, Achilles. We will get you the proper clothes to wear.” Odysseus had said.

“Now we have the finest warrior and me the leader but we need one other.” Odysseus continued. “We need to find the Ajax brothers.”

 

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...