Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Mordred 10.2

The New Realm

I calculated the width of the crevasse given the elevation of the other cliff in my mind. Even with geometry included in the training at the Academy, I was never paying attention to all figures that were crunched then. I knew Euclid will never be pleased with me but I could not care less. I was gifted with other skills that even Merlin was applauding then. Truly I never regretted my decision not to know geometry. I have my other skills to compensate me.

“Brace yourself for the landing. That’s the part was never good at.” I gunned up the bike while Rumpel for his safety had sewn himself a thick jacket.  I guess he was confident if we crash, it won’t be leg first. I released the brakes and left it all up to fate; my own version of fate. I called on the wind to sail across and the earth there to soften for the landing. It was the former which saved us but the later was the spoiler. The momentum of the bike with the extra weight factor was not taken into the so named calculation. We ended up on our side when the brakes were applied. We slide on the ground but with my swift compensation, I got the moisture into the soil. We still hit it hard then and it hurt most on our legs.

“I did warn you.” I pulled myself from the toppled bike. Rumpel had then recovered by himself although he had re-sewn his leggings. “Pardon me but I think we done well.”

Rumpel have scrawny legs beneath his leggings; well compensated by the thick strands he applied to make him look stronger or bigger in some places. He did however have a nice crafted butt.

“Speak no more of this.” Rumpel pulled at the last strand of string before he knotted it. “I am more concerned why you cross the Divide. You know it was forbidden unless we are renegades.”

I looked at the treeline before us. Yes, we crossed the Divide then. It was man made crevasse made by the Head Councillor in this new land. He was given the permission by the new Council. It was needed for there was no other place which the Elves could be housed. Merlin had brought the Elves with him during the cross over. They had considered a man made structure but it was rejected by Merlin then.

“They are like us. Maybe misunderstood but they have a purpose then, and they will do the same here.” Merlin made them the guardian of the land where he kept the renegades who rebelled against him in this new dimension. “The renegades are ours and will remain in our custody. I will have a prison that they will not escape but they will also regret being a renegade.”

There was no castle on that divided land but a dark forest which the Elves do their work as guardians on the captured renegades. The renegades lived there without the use of their crafts but to live as normal community. If they are found to contravene the rule, they will be punished harshly by the Elves. Such was the law.

“The new land needs them to be warden for those who needed imprisonment. Just as they need the land to stay, they also need a purpose.”

So it was the wish of Merlin that he will have his land to build the prison. When he was Guardian, he sent them there to be guarded by the Elves. During my tenure, I did the more humane thing; I shot them in the head with the Colt. I heard of the punishment and the option of death was more humane.  

“Guardian, do you hear me or am I to knit you bigger ears?” I was shaken from my thoughts of the old master. I looked at Rumpel.

“You could go back. The bike is working. I will assist you with the flight.” Rumpel shrugged his shoulders and then walked towards the treeline.

“I was sure that was Merlin who was in our head.” Rumpel stopped in his track. He looked back at me. “I have been looking for him for years. Ever since they told me he died. I was the last one to ever believe Merlin could die. That person is an immortal. It’s near impossible for him to die.”

 “Ever since we met in the Academy he was always like father figure to me. I do not believe him dead until I see the real soul depart from its body.” Rumpel looked at me. “They don’t die. They only depart but they are always there.”

Rumpel looked at the treeline once more. He smiled and then cried out.

“You must be crazy to think the he will be of any help?” Rumpel looked at me again. “You had placed him here. You apprehended him soon after the purported Merlin demise. Was he responsible for it? I am sure you asked him.”

I glared at Rumpel. He was bringing up an old issue which I had placed away in my mind. I then my back on Rumpel, and reflected the day I caught Berlin. He was accused of planning the murder of Merlin. It was what prompted me to be the Guardian once more. I wanted to repay Merlin for his deed of helping me to better at my crafts. Ironically, I hated him for killing my father and causing the dead of my mother, I have held him in my heart as my Master.   

“Berlin, you killed Merlin.” I recalled that cry that I made towards Berlin whom I had cornered at the dark rooftop. We had a long battle from the alleys to the streets and then ended up there. Berlin was dressed in the usual dark blue three pieces with the matching white silk shirt and bowler hat with the heavy handed cane. The cane was tucked under his left armpit. It was his preferred dressing since he saw the image of it on some silly wood crafted loose pages.

“It’s a wonderment that how the mind could be made to believe something when the words are influenced onto it.” Berlin had his thumbs tucked into the vest side pockets pushing the lapels of the coat back. It revealed a time piece hung by the chain there.  

“Do you believe I could kill Merlin?” Berlin looked at me. “I am after all his only brother. Do siblings kill each other in their lifetime?”

“Yes, it’s true. It had been seen of many who did it for greed or power. Or both whichever caught their fancy.” I replied. 
“You may be of no different from them.”

“Are you sure? Merlin was the wizard between us, while I was the Academy Head; the only one without any gifts or need for gifts. I was protected by all of you and why should I need to be one like them.”

“Then tell me how did you kill Merlin?” I queried him. The other laughed.

“I did not kill him. He did it himself.” Berlin laughed. “Like all of you who joined the Academy. All of you wanted to be that better person and yet are you any better? Did you seek what you wanted at the Academy? We gave you the encouragement, did we not? Or was it you who were encouraged within the mind? Do you know how many survive the Academy? Be it death or insanity, there were many. The former were merciful but the later was given mercy later.”

“No! Tell me how did Merlin died? I do not want to hear of the Academy.” I shouted out at the man. I approached the elder man and grabbed hold of him. “Tell me or be prepared to be banished.”

Berlin laughed before he leapt off the rooftop. It was my craft of the wind that saved him. I pulled him up and dropped him before my feet. He looked up at me and smiled.

“You were good but your mind is still weak. Banish me if you must but do not unto the others. They deserved not that.” Berlin told me before he surrender to me. It was those words that made me wonder if it was right to banish someone to such an imprisonment. The next capture had the judgement done for them mercifully from me.   


Then I was back at the Divide. I came back for a task to find Berlin. 

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...