Thursday, July 16, 2015

Mordred 11.1

The Book of Truth

11.

The Previous Realm

My first view of the Academy at that young age of ten was frightening. I was raised in a simple cottage at the edge of the woods and then whisked off by a person unknown to me then. He appeared at my home one evening. He rode in on the white stallion, covered in the blue coat and the tapering head cover with the flannel boots. My parents met him at the doorway while he dismounted.

“Guardian, what rouse you to come here?” My father approached the Guardian before he was to come near the house. The Guardian ignored him and walked towards us. He also pushed past us into the house. He approached the dining table where my mother had laid our supper. He sat down there and began wolfing down the food there. My father stormed back in and was to speak but mother stopped him.

“I know I am rude but I am also hungry. Let me have my fill and you will be rewarded.” The Guardian continued his eating.  My father was not keen to be left out of his own kitchen. He pulled both mother and myself to be seated at the table and began his own wolfing. The food was enough for all, but with the new company I lost my appetite. Soon the binge of eating was over and the Guardian spoke of his visit.

“I had come for the boy. Utter Pendragon heard of his …gift.” The Guardian spoke. “He had given me the task to bring the boy to the Academy.”

“He is young…too young to go there alone.” Mother protested on my tender age but the Guardian was insistent. 

Nevertheless, Mother protested strongly while my father remained silent. The once vocal man was all listening then. My mother tugged at his sleeves but he remained silent.

“Mother, I will go. I am not that young.” I voiced out and was given a head smack by my father. He then voiced out.

“My son may be gifted but he still needs his family. He will go when he is …ready.” Father replied. “I will see the Council on the matter.”

“There is no necessity.” The Guardian replied. He raised his left hand and a piece of scroll appeared. “This is the order approved by the Head Councillor himself.”

Father took the scroll and read it. His expression was grim when he placed it down. He looked towards me.

“The Head Councillor wants you in the Academy. He will do his best to arrange the best for you.” Father looked at me. 

“You are gifted and the words of the Council cannot be disputed.”

“Father, I do not want to go. I will remain here.” I replied politely and my mother lent her strength to me with the hands on my shoulders. “We can work out the gift ourselves.”

“Peter, we can take…” Mother pleaded but my father had made his mind.

“No, you must not defile the order. Get your things and be ready to go with the Guardian.” Those were my father’s words.

“Peter, he’s our child….” Mother begged from my father but he was past the listening of a wailing woman. Soon I was on the mount with the Guardian and it will not be another fifteen years before I get to see them. Five before my father was are killed by Merlin.

“Hello, young boy.” The man greeted met at the doorway of the Academy. He was a tall man with a slight stoop on the spine. “My name is….”

“I am not a boy. I am a man.” I interjected in. “I want to go home.”

The slap came across my left cheek before I could even blink my eyes. The blow was hard but I was still on my feet. I wanted to land my own punches but the tall man had stepped back.


“From now, you will address me as Master Berlin. You will be under the care of my brother Merlin.” The man replied. “You will grow to be the man he wants you to be. You will share your room with another boy name Rumpel.”   

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...