Thursday, July 2, 2015

Mordred 5.3

At the tavern in the village, I had more than the carpet rolled out for me. The owner was Jake and ran the place with one of the best fermented drinks but that day he was cold to me. The interior of the tavern was alike any others with the long bar and there were enough seating for over twenty persons at the three long tables. The kitchen was located at the rear where the some of the best dishes were served. During that day, when I stepped in there, the place was quiet with few patrons. I took to the long bar like it was yesterday when I left. I pulled up the high stool and sat down. The tankard of the fermented drink slide across the table top like a sled before it stopped at my outreached hand. It was cold and so was the bartender attitude. Jake had a short portly frame but his dressing was impeccable like those of the high society dressers with the three piece suit and matching bowler hat. He does not carry a cane but a nasty cudgel beneath his bar served as good. He served his patrons as if they were in the fine dining establishment with the napkins and well laid utensils. I guess most of those were long forgotten since I left. 

“I doubt my return brought in the winter.” I mumbled to Jake while I took my sips of the drink. I was seated at the long bar while the other patrons have left the place.

“It isn’t you, Mordred. It’s just us that we out grown from you.” The man named Jake finally spoke. “Since you left we have been on our own. There was no Guardian and we had to adapt ourselves. Business has been slow and with the curfew, it was dead for me.”

Jake polished the tankard as if it was made of pewter with the soft cloth while he looked out. I felt his sadness from where I was seated.

“The Henry’s left the village soon, after their son died in a duel with the others.” The Henry’s were blacksmiths. “The young fool thought he was invulnerable but no is truly here. We all have or strengths and weakness.”

Jake continued on while he poured himself a tankard. “I tried to help but they escaped. Despite the additional help of some veteran wizards to assist us but it was not easy for we have bad ones too. They were on the craft too.”

“Who?” I asked. “I need names.”

“There were the followers of Fangnir.” Jake replied. “And also some who claimed to be our New Guardians under the Dark Queen.”

I shook my head. I recalled then the authorities will send for someone to back me there at New Salem. So it was all a lie. I was taken from New Salem to fight for them leaving my own flock to tend for themselves. .

“We managed from one to another. Greed and power counts for them but we managed.” Jake laughed. “Boy, did we manage then. I have my own gift too.”

Jake raise from beneath the counter a cross bow. It was not any cross bow for that one had an extension with a set of six arrows. He demonstrated to me the accuracy his arrows on the mark. The six arrows struck at the door with accuracy. It was all lined up in a tight radius of six inches. He then reloaded the arrows back.

“The vortex released in me the skills of precision. I could measure the ingredients to the last speck and with my gift, I could ensure consistency in my brewing.” Jake laughed. “I also used this to kill three wizards who tried to run me out of New Salem. They are buried in the backyard of mine.” 

I was impressed by the gift that was in Jake and with his tavern, the news of the odd thousands of us was known to him. 

Soon I asked him on the Cohens’.

“I knew them on the craft. There were the older folks, and his seven children. They were gifted too with the colours energies. They had kept their skilled crafts secret. I recalled them as restless, and soon after we arrived here, they went into seclusion. They were never seen again. Some said they left New Salem.”

“I need to find them. Or their home.” I asked of Jake.            

“Don’t do it, Guardian. I met the once. Since they have the gift, they were not the same. They became more arrogant and saw them did bad things.”

“Jake, I had to. It is my role as the Guardian.” I protested. “Let me know where to find them? The Cohens?”

“And if you do what are you to do with them, Guardian?” The voice was to my rear. I turned to look and saw another familiar face.

“Chiton, so you have surfaced. I wondered how long before you get here.” I raised my cup to the new arrival. Chiton was dressed in her dark armour with her whip by her side. She was accompanied by three ladies dressed similarly but they carried on them the long whip.

“Perhaps this might jar your memory.” Chiton changed her appearance to that of the child I led off the flying contraption when we first arrived at New Salem. That was Chiton’s rare craft skills. She could be anyone when she wants to be.

“You were a kind Guardian but with the presence of Merlin, I had to disguise myself.” Chiton spoke from the voice of the young girl. “I had you near me to cloud the searching spell of Merlin. He was relentless to find me and the others but we escaped after the crash.”

“Others? Like Fangnir.” I asked back.

“Yes, Fangnir also escaped then. So did the few others.” Chiton replied. “Merlin was weaker then after spending his energy on the crafts. Fangnir knew that too, but he was weakened too. I helped him through.”

I recalled then the bag she carried then. It was a small bag but it could contain anything. Even a miniaturized dragon.

“Chiton, are you responsible for the creatures and wizards in the other cities?” I asked directly.

“Once a Guardian and always a Guardian.” Chiton laughed after she evolved to her true self. “What makes you think we are responsible? Our past were made to look as evil. But who was they to judge us when they themselves may be tainted.”

“Chiton, do not confused me. I came back here to find the answers to my questions.” I was getting upset. I had known Chiton in her past. She was an evil one then with many reported tasks of her documented. I hunted her for over a year before we caught up. It took me four fights before I could defeat her. She was spared her life when she repented. Then I last met her on the craft.


“Then find the truth yourself.” Chiton replied. It was then we heard the sounds of hoofs on the outside.   

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...