Saturday, July 18, 2015

Mordred 12.1

2.

The Previous Realm

I stood transfixed to the ground below me at a drop of over a hundred feet. That’s a long drop but it was the landing I disliked. The bed of roses may be a charm to any ladies but with the thorns, I detest those flowers. I found the carnations more pleasant as a gift; my mother never complaint of it. I was to focus on my move when Merlin hovered before me. 
The master was in mid-air and appeared as if he was weightless.

“Focus, Mordred.” Merlin voiced out in that commanding tone. He was coaching me on how to control my crafts but his methods were mind boggling than most. “You must focus.”

I was focussing but the darned master was intimidating for me to ignore him. I nodded to the master and called on my craft again. I focused on the ground and then changed my mind. I was to whip the wind to carry me down but Merlin had me whisked out. I fell forward and was dropping down to the ground. At a fall of a hundred feet given the split seconds to decide your impact, my instinct was to reach for anything to break my fall but I was swept almost ten feet away from the wall, and probably the landing spot will not be the roses, but the upright fountain that resembled a phallic monument to man. I had then bent my body forward for the legs first landing with the knees bent.

“Use your craft, you young fool.” Merlin voiced out. I was shaken by his voice and reacted with instinct. I called on the wind to bring it on focus towards me. I went into a somersault with the push and had to adjust. I got back my balance but it was a wrong end. I was hovering downwards and had Merlin glaring at me.

“I am sorry.” I corrected my posture but not in time, to have my belly thrust by the rising earth pillar that Merlin had called up. The elder man knew of my crafts. He never displayed it before then.

“Focus, you fool.” I was upset then and called on my own craft skills. I had the wind to push me up while I reassembled the earth pillar to something more manageable. I stood on the widen surface and then focus on the wind. It gave me balance with the widen surface.

Just when I thought I had it, the master did the unthinkable. He swung at me a mental blast which made me fall off the surface. I was to hit the ground and when I felt the fall was broken. I was hovering at above the ground; just inches off it. It was not the wind nor did the earth cushion my fall but the solid grasp of the hand that held me up by the left heel. It was not the strength of the hand but the mind had lent its properties to it. I looked to my feet and saw the saviour of mine.

It was Berlin. He had used his own telekinetic to hold me up.

“I said coached the child. Not tortured him.” Berlin called out in anger when he dropped me abruptly onto the ground.
Merlin hovered to the ground level and then faced off with Berlin. I had then picked myself up when I heard the harsh words exchanged between the two brothers. It was not the first time but that moment the words were rude and appeared unforgiving.

“Berlin, we have each our tasks. I was doing mine.” Merlin confronted the other. “You must leave me to my own methods. You don’t like it, have another master for him.”

Merlin turned away but Berlin stopped him.

“Stay your place, Merlin. I shall not intervene anymore.” Berlin sighed. He then turned to walk but his next action was disbelieving. Berlin raised his right hand at Merlin who was looking at me. The telekinetic blow pushed the other across the path. Merlin hit the tree in his path but Berlin was moving to his next attack. He had the other pinned up against the tree trunk and then with a blink of an eye, Berlin was before his brother. He had his hand at the other’s throat.

“Defile me and prepare to die.” Berlin warned his brother. “You may be the powerful one but I am not without my own crafts.”

Merlin glared at his own brother, and then nodded. With that Berlin released his hold and stepped back. He then turned to look at me.

“Beware, young one. What you seen here must never made known outside.” Berlin cautioned me. “If it’s not Merlin who will kill you, it will be mine. We are brothers in blood, and our battles are our own. Do you heed my command?”


I nodded at the Academy Head. I never seen Berlin used his craft since then. Not even when I pursued him years later. He evaded all my attempts to battle and when we finally met, he surrendered without a battle. It was most unusual. 

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...