Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Titus Adrian Act 3.1.1

ACT III

SCENE I.

3.1.1

The Romans have their own place where the assembled hold their sittings on matters of great importance. It was
simply named the Hall but it was not any covered structure, but a clearing on the land. For such a gathering, the
Romans would have made the place to resemble a mini coliseum in the open ground. That day, the Romans
assembled there with the barons presiding over the quorum as juries. The place was bared of any colorful garlands
except the twelve pillars which held the high roof over the place. The great leader took his place as the head of the
Romans. The barons took to seat in the two rows on the front, while on the left were the eleven members of the
observers from the Romans consisting of learned and wise men. They were there to offer any advice on the matter to
the juries of the presiding. On the right was the Adrian families; all dressed in somber shades and forlorn looking.
They had heard the presentation of the accusers and then the accused and a judgment was given.

The sons of Titus Adrian were found guilty of the murder.

The two accused were then brought in chains to the Hall with guards on both sides. The accused were cheered when
they arrived by their family members with their father, Titus Adrian leading the cheers for his soon to be dead sons.

“Hear me, grave Fathers! Noble Romans, stay for pity of mine age, whose youth was spent in dangerous wars,
whilst you securely slept.” Titus worked on the sentiments of his serving for the Romans since his youth. “For all
my blood in Rome's great quarrel shed; for all the frosty nights that I have watch'd; and for these bitter tears, which
now you see filling the aged wrinkles in my cheeks; be pitiful to my condemned sons, whose souls are not corrupted
as 'tis thought.

Titus looked to the Romans whom many had counted as his friends. Some fought with him while some had even
dined with his family. He recalled Henry who was there to tell him of his son’s birth when he was in battle; he
recalled not which one that was, but there were treasured memories. None looked to him for they feared the crime
was truly done by his sons. Such was unforgiveable by them be it anyone of their own sons.

“For two and twenty sons I never wept because they died in honor's lofty bed. Titus honored all his sons; dead and
alive. He was proud of them although he may not recall their births.

“My heart's deep languor and my soul's sad tears: let my tears stanch the earth's dry appetite; my sons' sweet blood
will make it shame and blush.” Titus wiped the tears from his cheeks. O earth, I will befriend thee more with rain,
That shall distil from these two ancient urns, than youthful April shall with all his showers. In summer's drought I'll
drop upon thee still in winter with warm tears I'll melt the snow and keep eternal spring-time on thy face. So thou
refuse to drink my dear sons' blood.

It was then Lucas walked in to the assembled. He was not there earlier for he was banished by his father for the
disobedience he displayed earlier. He did not speak but took his place before the family members. The members
moved away from the eldest son of Titus.


O reverend tribunes! O gentle aged men! Unbind my sons, reverse the doom of death; and let me say, that never
wept before, my tears are now prevailing orators. Titus ended his speech. He looked to Lucas who had stepped up
towards him.
O noble father, you lament in vain: the tribunes hear you not; no man is by; and you recount your sorrows to a
stone.” Lucas told his father.

“Lucas, for thy brothers let me plead. Romans, once more I entreat of you.” But Lucas brushed off the father’s
words. He then addressed the Romans. “These gracious Romans, they hear you speak?”
“Why, this no matter, man; if they did hear?” Titus confronted his son. They would not mark me, or if they did
mark, they would not pity me, yet plead I must; therefore I tell my sorrows to the stones. Who, though they cannot
answer my distress, yet in some sort they are better than the barons, for that they will not intercept my tale.”

Titus smiled at the barons. He continued on with his explanation.
“When I do weep, they humbly at my feet receive my tears and seem to weep with me. And, were they but attired in
grave weeds, Rome could afford no barons like to these.” Titus continued speaking. A stone is soft as wax,--judges
more hard than stones; a stone is silent, and offend not, and judges with their tongues doom men to death.

Titus looked to the rifle in his son’s hands.

“But wherefore stand'st thou with thy weapon drawn?
To rescue my two brothers from their death for which attempt the judges had pronounced. It may be my everlasting
doom of banishment. Lucas spoke to his father but the later stopped him.

“O happy man! They have befriended thee. Why, foolish Lucas, dost thou not perceive that Rome is but a
wilderness of tigers? Titus looked to around him. Tigers must prey, and Rome affords no prey but me and mine.”

Titus liken the killings of his sons in the war was one of the sacrificial honors he had to offer to Rome.

“How happy art thou, then, from these devourers to be banished!”Titus explained to his eldest son. He saw then the
arrival of his own brother Micheal. The later was not alone, but he had someone leaning onto him. He could not
make out the person who was heavily bandaged.
Titus, prepare thy aged eyes to weep; or, if not so, thy noble heart to break: I bring consuming sorrow to thine age.
Micheal showed his brother the weight he was carrying.

“Will it consume me? Let me see it, then. Titus stepped forth to look closer at the person who was leaning there.

This was thy daughter!” Micheal called out. He used his right hand to move the face of Lavinia towards Titus. The
later was shocked at the sight.




No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...