Friday, April 24, 2015

Titus Adrian Act 2 Scene 2.3.4

ACT II

Scene 2.3.4

If there was an indication of time, then it would be the migration of the preys back to their burrows or streams to
quench their thirst from their earlier exertion from the hunters. The day drew to a close, but the ever persuasive


Aaron had spent his time making talks with the two sons of Titus Adrian. It was an easy task for the other while he
spun tales of hunts. It was rumored that the Goths were great hunters. He had spun a tale of a panther he had seen
trapped in a deep pit. For the young Adrian’, the panther was a prized catch if they ever snared the creature with
their bow and arrow. The Adrian family hunt with the bow for it was the family heirloom since their forefathers who
conquered the land with it. It was the pride of the family if they are able to hunt with it and not used the rifle like the
others. The boys were keen for they had not gotten themselves one then, and the offering of Aaron was tempting.
They wanted to go back with their prized catch.

Come on, my lords, the better foot before Aaron led the two sons of Titus Adrian to the clearing where the
supposed pit was located. Straight will I bring you to the loathsome pit where I espied the panther fast asleep.

“My sight is very dull, whate'er it bodes. Quincy notched the arrow to his bow, and looked to the pit which was
deep. As it was getting to twilight, the pit was covered in the shadows. He pulled the bow string to taut the arrow on
it.
And mine, I promise you; were't not for shame” Martin also shared his brother’s view. “Well could I leave our
sport to sleep awhile.”

Martin was not too keen to hunt a panther all by themselves, not when they are armed with bow and arrows. He had
heard tales of the panther; they were fierce predators, and even seasoned hunters have been mauled by these
creatures. And they were armed with rifles which allowed them repeated shots within seconds. Here the brothers
were armed with arrows.

Martin being the cautious did not see Aaron nudged him into the pit.

“What art thou fall'n? What subtle hole is this Quincy called to the pit. He saw Martin had stood up and leaned
close to the pit walls. “Whose mouth is cover'd with rude-growing briers, upon whose leaves are drops of new-shed
blood as fresh as morning dew distill'd on flowers?”

There was no immediate reply from Martin but some murmurings.

A very fatal place it seems to me. Speak, brother, hast thou hurt thee with the fall?” Quincy asked.
I fetch the leader to find them here, that he thereby may give a likely guess how these were they that made away his
brother. Aaron sneaked away. Quincy continued to call for his brother. He then heard the reply from his brother.

“Why dost not comfort me, and help me out from this unhallowed and blood-stained hole? Martin asked of him.
Ever the one to mock his other brother’s cowardice was Martin. Among the other brothers besides Lucas, Martin
was the next in line for bravado among all. He was searching the pit for the sign of the panther but he found instead
was blood.

I am surprised with an uncouth fear; a chilling sweat o'er-runs my trembling joints, my heart suspects more than
mine eye can see. Quincy admitted his fear for panther. It was not that he had any run in with them but the tales
made him ever fearful. Nevertheless, with no roar of the panther but there was blood, meant that something did died
there.

To prove thou hast a true-divining heart, Aaron and thou look down into this den. There I see a fearful sight of
blood and death.” Martin the braver of the two told those above. It was then when Quincy noticed that Aaron was
not there anymore.
“Aaron is gone.” Quincy looked around and then told his brother. “O, tell me how it is; for ne'er till now was I a
child to fear I know not what.”

“Lord Bastion lies embrewed here” Martin called out. He had found the personal belongings of the leader’s brother.
It was a gift given by the brothers to Bastion before the war. “All on a heap, like to a slaughter'd lam in this detested,
dark, blood-drinking pit.


If it be dark, how dost thou know 'tis he?” Quincy asked.
“Upon his bloody finger he doth wear a precious ring, that lightens all the hole, which, like a taper in some
monument. It doth shine upon the dead man's earthy cheeks and shows the ragged entrails of the pit.” Truly it was
the ring given by the brothers. “So pale did shine the moon on Pyramus when he by night lay bathed in maiden
blood.

 O brother, help me with thy fainting hand—“ Martin called out to Quincy. If fear hath made thee faint, as me it
hath-- Out of this fell devouring receptacle, As hateful as Cocytus' misty mouth.”

The Cocytus was one of the five under world rivers in the Greeks legends.

“Reach me thy bow, that I may help thee out; or, wanting strength to do thee so much good, I may be pluck'd into
the swallowing womb of this deep pit, poor Bastion’' grave. Martin called to his brother.
I have no strength to pluck thee to the brink.” Quincy replied. His fear controlled his limbs.

“Nor I no strength to climb without thy help. Martin sighed. Quincy pounded his fear and tried to assist his brother.

Thy bow once more; I will not loose again” Quincy reached out his hands, while his legs anchored his legs. Till
thou art here aloft, or I below. Thou canst not come to me. I come to thee.


But it caused both brothers to be trapped in the pit when Martin lose his footings when Quincy pulled hard.

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...