Monday, April 13, 2015

Titus Adrian Act 1 Scene 1.1.7

Act 1

Scene 1.1.7

“My Queen, its time we take our leave.” Aaron the Goth led the Queen to the feast. On her walk there, she saw the commotion between young Matthew and Titus. She saw the shooting and then glared at the man who had just killed his son. He was unmoving and stood with his leader who had joined in on hearing the shot.

Have the man no compassion for those of own blood’; Tamara asked herself. She herself had seen many killings
but never the affected had shown such selfish attitude. Aaron was insistent and pulled the Queen away along with

her surviving sons. They passed by Lucas who rushed back on hearing Matthew’ call.

“My lord, you are unjust, and, more than so in wrongful quarrel you have slain your son. Lucas confronted his
father. “Are you that heartless? Your daughter to marry against her will? Your son killed for protecting her sister?”

The elderly Adrian patriarch glared towards his son on those words. He looked once again to the dead one and
replied.

“Nor thou, nor he, are any sons of mine if ever you are to dishonor me.” Titus spoke out. Traitor! Restore Lavinia
to the leader.

“Dead, if you will; but not to be his wife” Lucas again came to his sister’ rescue. That is another's un-lawful
promised love of yours.”

Lucas’ mother was the first of Titus many wives as he proclaimed them with his seduction, and sow of seedling. The
father of Lucas during his hey days were never faithful, except to his own lust. He shattered her heart with his
amorous ways, but honor forbid her to denounce her husband in public. She did so in the privacy of their home, and
suffered for it with forceful ways. He deemed every lady he could lay like the piss pot where he laid his urine. Titus
Adrian had twenty five children; all of them sons except for the last one which was his lovely Lavinia. With her
birth, he curbed his wild sowing and remained dedicated to his own family. Lucas was sworn by his mother never to
fight his father for it was dishonorably to do so. He promised his mother but with one condition; ever Titus betray
his promise to them, he will forego her request. He had grown up learning to live with the other brothers, but it was
with Lavinia, he actually love like his own sister. Of recent, he have defied his father on some events and earned the
wrath of leading the servants to battle without his father’ approval of the command, but survived while others may
have perished.

“Lucas…you are banished. Titus reprimanded his eldest son, but the later had ignored to walk back to rejoin the
sister in the mansion. It was Saturday who I intervened on the quarrel.

“No, Titus, no; I need her not, Saturday told him. “Nor her, nor thee, nor any of thy stock.”

Titus looked to the great leader. He felt his honor was tarnished by the rejection while Saturday added more to the
rejection. The leader spoke in anger at Titus.


“As leader, I'll need to trust, by leisure but thy that mocks me once.” Saturday recalled the earlier words of Micheal
to push for Titus to be the leader. “Thee never, nor thy traitorous haughty sons, confederates all thus to dishonor me.
Was there none else in Rome to make a stale but me?

Full well, Adrian’” Saturday addressed them all. “Agree these deeds with that proud brag of thine, that sad’s I
begged the empire at thy hands.

“O monstrous! What reproachful words are these? Titus tried to regain his honor with the leader.
“But go thy ways; go, give that changing piece to him that flourished for her with his sword” Saturday referred to
Lavinia and her lover Bastion. A valiant son-in-law thou shall enjoy; one fit to bandy with thy lawless sons.” Those
words hurt the elderly Adrian deep.

“These words are razors to my wounded heart. Titus acknowledged the pain of those words and openly declared it
but Saturday had not ended his speech. He looked to Tamara.

“I….” Saturday paused in his speech when his eyes laid on the return of the Queen of the Goths with her sons. She
was truly a Queen then with her body cleaned and the clothing replaced; she was once more seen by many as the
Queen, not only in words but also in the looks. The green gown she had on covered his body from neck to the heels,
with its seams accentuating every curve in her shape. The gown was endowed with yellow daisies sewn with beads
at the lower half while her feet were covered in the moccasin shoes. It was her head piece which made her
outstanding, with the six peacock feathers that sprung from beaded head cover to lay back at the rear. On her earlier
departure, she had donned this from her own chest and decided to rejoin the assembled barons.

“My lady… the lovely Tamara, Queen of Goths, Saturday greeted her. That like the stately Phoebe 'amongst her
nymphs dost over shine the gallant’s dames of Rome.”

If thou be pleased with this my sudden choice Saturday looked to Tamara. Behold, I choose thee, Tamara, for my
bride, and will create thee leader’s wife of Rome. Or shall I announce thee as my Queen. Speak, Queen of Rome,
dost thou applaud my choice?”

Immediately, among the barons, a string of murmurings was seen. One even exclaimed out that it was never a
precedent to have one outside of Rome to be their wives. One was more vocal to denounce it as blasphemy; it was
alike to cohabiting with the demons was his harsh words. Titus took the call to step forth but Saturday ignored him.
The great leader chose to look at his proposed Queen for her reply. Tamara stood there in silence while she held
back her laugh. If it was her own throne, she would have all those assembled there decapitated for their insolence to
the King, but she was not yet the Queen.

On seeing that Tamara was at the loss of words, Saturday chose to address the barons again.

And here I swear by all the Roman gods and tapers burn so bright and everything in readiness for us,
I will not re-salute the streets of Rome, or climb my place as leader, till from forth this place I lead espoused my
bride along with me.”

Again the barons murmured ever loudly but the next move was more ghastly to be heard by them.

And here, in sight of heaven, to Rome I swear, if the great leader Saturday advanced the Queen of Goths, she will
be a handmaid be to his desires and a loving nurse, a mother to his youth.”Tamara made her declaration and then
bowed before the great leader. She averted her eyes from the glare of Titus who felt as if the whole of Rome had
collapsed on him.

“Saturday, I beg of…” Titus bemoans to his leader but the later ignored him. Saturday reached out for his Queen,
and pulled her up. He looked to the assembled with his Queen by his side.


“Ascend, fair Queen, Pantheon. Lords, accompany your noble leader and his lovely bride, sent by the heavens for
him whose wisdom hath her fortune conquered.” Saturday spoke up. He pointed to the mansion. There shall we
consummate our spousal rites.
In the mind of Saturday then was his savage thoughts of the victory he have claimed; Titus Adrian, you have
mocked my honor when your virtuous daughter have declined my offer to be mine. There I will consummate with
my Queen there as you once did with your son’s mothers.”

“My leader, what you in your mind? Do my words please you?” Tamara asked her yet to be lover.
“Nothing more than to be with you.” Saturday smiled at his soon to be Queen. “And to allow you to serve me as per
the words uttered by your lips.”

“That I will do.” Tamara replied with a smile. “For my both my lips are to serve.”


No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...