Monday, April 6, 2015

Coriolanus Act 5.4.5 & 5.4.6

Scene 5.4.5

A Hero’ death

Coriolanus dropped to the ground, with this vocal cords severed he could not scream out. His pain was gargled in saliva and blood before he fell forward. Audifius stood over the dead soldier with his hands dripping blood. He looked to his own men and then at the people.

“People of Corioli, hear me out.” Audifius spoke out. “We owe this man our good feeling the last weeks; we shown the Romans how it felt to be on the edge of losing. We beaten them back but yes, we were robbed of the final victory. Nevertheless, we won the war in some manners.”

Audifius looked to the dead soldier.

“Coriolanus may have taken our victory but he showed us how to fight his own army. He showed us more tactics we would have never known.” Audifius spoke out. “For that, he was …a hero to us too.”

“No!” One of the assembled shouted. “No more. We have been fighting the wars for over two generations. The war which all of you started and we get to be mop by it.”

“No more death of our loved ones.” Another assembled one shouted but it was the third person who moved the mob.

“The war was started by the army. Get rid of them and we end all these wars.” That call was heeded and the assembled charged at the six army officers. It was impossible to describe the beatings and stabbings, but the six officers of Volsces had no chance. When it was over, there were seven bodies left lying on the streets.

“Their rage is gone, and I am struck with sorrow.” The Lord of Corioli spoke up. “We came here today to welcome a hero and now we are to bury seven of them. They had give up their life for Corioli and how they died mattered not, but they will be interned as the heroes. Their tomb will remind us of the war and why it must never resume again. This was not a war of two nations, but of two person’s pride and the result of it was the sacrifice of many lives.”

With those words, the Lords motioned to the nearby servants to assist in clearing the dead bodies to the mortuary.





Scene 5.4.6

A Mother’s curse

Twelve hours ago, Coriolanus sat at the long table facing his old commander and then looked to the doorway of the large hall. He was watching for his friend and joint Commander, Tullus Audifius to step in. They had previewed the truce terms and agreed to it, although much of it was handled by Coriolanus. He knew all of them across the table and handed the negotiation much to his favor. Once the terms were agreed, they all had a toast before the endorsement ceremony.

But Audifius was missing then.

Coriolanus heard the calling by the staff to the agenda of the meeting which was to endorse the terms. General Cominius and Colonel Menenius had endorsed for Rome, leaving it to Coriolanus. He looked to the vid pad and then to his attending officer.

“Must there is two endorsements?” Coriolanus asked. The staff nodded and Coriolanus was left hanging onto the decision. He could endorse the vid pad because Audifius had agreed to the terms. In the end, Coriolanus in his eagerly 
awaited moment placed both his hands on the vid pad to endorsed it.

“I am doing so to cover for Audifius.” Coriolanus explained to the Roman’ General. Once he had endorsed it, he had a copy sent to Audifius for his safe keeping. He then went home to see his family. He had his mother and wife gathered at the living area. His son had taken to bed for it was late. Menenius had invited himself in and sat next to the older lady.

“Mother, I had not the chance to sit with you since I have come to Rome.” Coriolanus smiled at his mother. He then smiled at his wife before he nod to the older man.

“Come to Rome? My son, you have returned to Rome. It’s your country.” Volumnia replied with glee at her words. “Surely you must have missed us.”

 .”Yes, Rome…. It is my country. Since I have been to Corioli, I have found my peace there. It was the means to undo my wrongs there.” Coriolanus explained to her.

“Wrong there? My dear son, you speak as if they were Romans. I forbade you to return to Corioli. They have poisoned your mind.” Volumnia told him. “You belong to Rome, and to the Romans.”

Coriolanus turned his back to his own mother. He looked at his father’ hologram and then bowed.

“I must be on my away.” Coriolanus turned to leave but Virgilia stopped him.   

“My husband, have you not seen me in your eyes anymore?” Virgilia asked of him.

“Perhaps I had, but pardon me for the City of Corioli called for me with more urgency.” Coriolanus brushed her off and walked to the doorway. The two ladies stood there with confusion on their face, and the older man spoke for an explanation.

“I am sure he has more on his mind. He will come back to you soon.” Menenius added in the comforting words but Volumnia was not convinced.

“He is my son, and deserved to my side. Not at some Volsces wench there” Volumnia raised her voice. “I shall have my son back in one way or another.”

“Hold your tongue, Volumnia.” Menenius cautioned her. “Caius had changed when he was in Corioli.”

“Then unchanged him.” Volumnia screamed. “I will have him dead than living in Corioli.”

“I say to hold your tongue, lady. You may have cursed him to his grave.” Menenius spoke out.


“Then leave my home now.” Volumnia shooed the old man away leaving her with the wife of her son. “Suffer not my wrath or it will be you outside the door.” 

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...