Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Titus Adrian Act 1 Scene 1.1.9

Act 1

Scene 1.1.9


After the burial was done, the family paid their respect to Matthew. Lucas being the eldest spoke first.
There lie thy bones, sweet Matthew, with thy friends, till we with trophies do adorn thy tomb.”

“No man shed tears for noble Matthew; he lives in fame that died in virtue's cause. They all chanted for the honor
of Matthew. After the homage given to Matthew, the Adrian composed their sorrows before they convened for the
mansion but Micheal stopped them. He turned to Titus and asked him the question on the mind.


“My lord, to step out of these dreary dumps, tell me how comes it that the subtle Queen of Goths is of a sudden thus
advanced in Rome? Such strange events have never been seen.”
I know not, Micheal but I know it is.”Titus laughed at the reply. “Whether by device or no, the heavens can tell:
Is she not then beholding to the man that brought her for this high good turn so far? Yes, and will nobly him
remunerate.”

Micheal was to reply to the sarcastic tone, but he was interrupted when he saw the arrival of the entourage from the
mansion. There was Saturday leading his new Queen, alongside with her sons, and there was the other newly
engaged Bastion with Lavinia followed by the barons.

So, Bastion, you have played your prize: God give you joy, sir, of your gallant bride! Saturday was heard telling
his step brother while they strolled over. There were joys in their voices.

And you of yours, my lord! I say no more, nor wish no less; and so, I take my leave.” Bastion replied while he led
his fiancé past the family members as if in a parade but the leader was not impressed. He had then taken a harder
tone to address his step brother. Maybe it was to impress his Queen, or towards Titus, it was not disclosed then.

Traitor, if Rome has law or we have power, thou and thy faction shall repent this rape.” Saturday lay out his words.
.
“Rape, call you it, my lord, to seize my own? My truth-betrothed love and now my wife? Let the laws of Rome
determine all. Meanwhile I am possessed of that is mine.” Bastion did not rebuke but affirmed his love for Lavinia.

“It’s good, sir: you are very short with us.” Saturday applauded his step brother for his dedication towards love. “If
only we live, we'll be as sharp with you.”
“My lord, what I have done, as best I may,” Bastion looked to his step brother. “Answer I must and shall do with my
life.

Bastion looked to the Adrian before he continued in his direct tone on the Adrian affair.

Only thus much I give your grace to know: By all the duties that I owe to Rome, this noble gentleman, Lord Titus
here, is in opinion and in honor wronged. That in the rescue of Lavinia with his own hand did slay his youngest son
in zeal to you and highly moved to wrath to be controlled in that he frankly gave.” Bastion looked back to his step
brother. “Receive him, then, to favor, Saturday. That hath expressed himself in all his deeds, a father and a friend to
thee and Rome”

Prince Bastion, leave to plead my deeds Titus stepped up to protect his own honor. He knelt before his newly
elected leader. This thou and those that have dishonored me. Rome and the righteous heavens my judge, how I
have loved and honored Saturday.”

Saturday smiled at the renewed declaration by the other. It was then Tamara who intervened.
“My worthy lord, if ever Tamara were gracious in those princely eyes of thine, then hears me speak in indifferently
for all; and at my suit, sweet, pardon what is past.

“What, madam! Be dishonored openly.” Saturday gave permission to her. And basely put it up without revenge?”

Not so, my lord; the gods of Rome forefend I should be author to dishonor you!” Tamara spoke out openly while
she spoke. “But on mine honor dare I undertake for good Lord Titus' innocence in all; Whose fury not dissembled
speaks his grief’s: Then, at my suit, look graciously on him; Lose not so noble a friend on vain suppose, Nor with
sour looks afflict his gentle heart.

Tamara then whispered to Saturday.


“Be won at last; dissemble all your grief’s and discontents: you are but newly planted in your throne; lest, then, the
people, and patricians too, upon a just survey, take Titus' part.” Tamara gave a smile to the leader. And so supplant
you for ingratitude, which Rome reputes to be a heinous sin, yield at entreats.”
“Then let me alone.” Tamara expression turned to anger while she addressed the leader. I'll find a day to massacre
them all and raze their faction and their family, the cruel father and his traitorous sons, to whom I sued for my dear
son's life, and make them know what 'tis to let a Queen kneel in the streets and beg for grace in vain.

Saturday expression was of shock, but the Queen took on the cue to address the barons in a loud call of support.
“Come, come, sweet leader; come, Adrian; Take up this good man, and cheer the heart that dies in tempest of thy
angry frown.”

“Rise, Titus, rise; my Queen hath prevailed. Saturday taken aback by the change of tone, and then told his loyal
baron.
I thank your majesty, and her, my lord: These words, these looks, infuse new life in me.” Titus replied before he
looked at Tamara.

Titus, I am incorporate in Rome, a Roman now adopted happily and must advise the leader for his good. This day
all quarrels die, Adrian; and let it be mine honor, good my lord, that I have reconciled your friends and you.
“For you, Prince Bastion, I have passed my word and promise to the leader, that you will be more mild and tractable.
And fear not the lords.” Tamara spoke out like a Queen; ever diplomatic with the hidden tone of sarcasm.


“And you, Lavinia; take my advice, all humbled on your knees, you shall ask pardon of your leader.

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...