Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Titus Adrian Act 3.1.2

ACT III

SCENE I.

3.1.2


“Why, Micheal, so she is. Titus exclaimed out. He was joined by Lucas.

Ay me, this object kills me!” Lucas went forth to comfort his sister. He was near to tears when Titus slapped him
on the face.

Faint-hearted boy, arise, and look upon her. Titus told his son. He then looked at Lavinia. Speak, Lavinia, what
accursed hand hath made thee handless in thy father's sight?

“What fool hath added water to the sea or brought a faggot to bright-burning Troy?” Titus displayed his anger. “My
grief was at the height before thou camest, and now like Nilus, it disdaineth bounds. Give me a sword, I'll chop off
my hands too; for they have fought for Rome, and all in vain; and they have nursed this woe, in feeding life.”

Titus cursed at the Romans.

In bootless prayer have they been held up, and they have served me to effectless use. Now all the service I require
of them iIs that the one will help to cut the other. Titus looked to his son. 'Tis well, Lavinia, that thou hast no
hands; for hands, to do Rome service, are but vain.

Speak, gentle sister, who hath martyr'd thee?” Lucas comforted his sister.

“O, that delightful engine of her thoughts that blabb'd them with such pleasing eloquence, Micheal recalled his
niece from before. Is torn from forth that pretty hollow cage, where, like a sweet melodious bird, it sung sweet
varied notes, enchanting every ears.”

“O, say thou for her, who hath done this deed? Lucas looked to his uncle.
“O, thus I found her, straying in the park, seeking to hide herself, as doth the deer that hath received some un-
recurring wound.” Micheal explained.

It was my deer; and he that wounded her hath hurt me more than had he killed me dead.” Titus interjected. “For
now I stand as one upon a rock environed with a wilderness of sea, who marks the waxing tide grow wave by wave,
Expecting ever when some envious surge will in his brinish bowels swallow him.”
This way to death my wretched sons are gone; here stands my other son, a banished man.” Titus looked to Lucas. 
And here my brother, weeping at my woes. But that which gives my soul the greatest spurn, is dear Lavinia, dearer
than my soul. Had I but seen thy picture in this plight, it would have madden me: what shall I do?”

“Now I behold thy lively body so? Thou hast no hands, to wipe away thy tears: nor tongue, to tell me who hath
martyr'd thee.” Titus fell to his knees before his daughter. Thy husband he is dead: and for his death thy brothers
are condemn'd, and dead by this.

“Look, Micheal! Thee son Lucas, look on her! Titus called out. “When I did name her brothers, then fresh tears
stood on her cheeks, as doth the honey-dew upon a gather'd lily almost wither'd. She knew them…”
“Perchance she weeps because they kill'd her husband; perchance because she knows them innocent. Micheal told
Titus.

If they did kill thy husband, then be joyful because the law hath ta'en revenge on them. No, no, they would not do
so foul a deed; witness the sorrow that their sister makes.” Titus looked to his teary daughter. Gentle Lavinia, let
me kiss thy lips.

Lavinia shied away for she was still in pain.

“Or make some sign how I may do thee ease: shall thy good uncle, and thy brother Lucas, and thou, and I, sit round
about some fountain, looking all downwards to behold our cheeks. How they are stain'd, as meadows, yet not dry,
with miry slime left on them by a flood? Titus pleaded.


Sweet father, cease your tears; for, at your grief.” Lucas consoled the elderly man. “See how my wretched sister
sobs and weeps.”
Patience, dear niece. Good Titus, dry thine eyes.” Micheal placed his hands on the other’ shoulders.

“Ah, Micheal, Micheal! Brother, well I wet thy napkin cannot drink a tear of mine,” Titus replied. “For thou, poor
man, hast drown'd it with thine own.
“Ah, my Lavinia, I will wipe thy cheeks. Lucas offered to comfort the sister of his.

Mark, Micheal, mark! I understand her signs.” Titus stood up and looked to the Romans. “Had she a tongue to
speak, now would she say that to her brother which I said to thee. His napkin, with his true tears all be wet, can do
no service on her sorrowful cheeks.

It was then Aaron walked in. The previous warrior approached the leader.



No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...