Saturday, December 20, 2014

Othello the Legatus Act 4 Part 5

Act Four Scene 1 Part 3

Lodovico stood there and saw the man he was addressed; untidy and smelling of the stale wine. It was unbecoming of one that hold the rank to be that. Desdemona walked up to the Othello, and adjusted his tunic and scarf. He pushed her aside to go himself.

"Perhaps, I would see you later, Legatus." Lodovico spoke out coldly and turned to walk but he was stopped by Othello.

"You may speak now, as we stand. Lodovico."Othello told him. "Surely, with the arrival of yourself from Rome, you must be bringing me vital news."

Othello glared at his love who replied back in whispers.

"What ails you, Othello? Have I done some wrong?" Desdemona asked. Just before Othello could reply, Lodovico handed him the scroll from the Emperor. He was actually looking to announced it in a grand manner but on seeing the other sad looking expression, he decided to go straight to the matter.

"Othello, you been recalled back to Rome. Your Pilus would stand in command till the Emperor announced the new Legatus."

Iago who was with Othello shot up from his seat, and approached Othello. He chose to defend his leader thinking that the scroll was about the fight with Montana.

"Othello did not fight with..." Iago was cut off by Othello who took the scroll and read it.

"What devil act is this? I am not a politician, I am a legionnaire." Othello exclaimed out after having read the scroll. "I can't just leave my command during a war."

Iago took the scroll to read and his expression became more of anger.

"Cassio to retain command?" Iago spoke out loud. "How ..."

Iago saw Othello looking at him and kept his silence.

"I would accept as per the request of the Emperor." With that, he relooked at the scroll. It was then Lodovico asked for Cassio.

"Is the Prime Pilus here? There are some words I need to speak to him."

"Cassio is not here. He and Othello had a fallout and I am trying to mend it back." Desdemona told the other.

"Of which you are not to involved, woman." Othello sparked out his words at her. He pushed her aside to leave the tavern. Lodovico was shocked at the treatment by the other and in turn look to Desdemona.

"What had I done to deserve this?" Desdemona asked her love. She was confused.

"You have ....spent too much time with others than me." Othello replied in anger. He without thinking struck at her as if she was a whore.

"Othello, how dare you...." Desdemona look at the man who struck her. She then turned to look at Lodovico. "I wished you had not seen this."

Desdemona was shamed by the act that she lefty with tears on her eyes.

"If I had not seen it with my own eyes, I would not had believed it." Lodovico spoke up. "What had gotten into you, Othello to do that act?"

"She turned to you in pain. But not me. She may be my love, but she seek your comfort." Othello snapped back. "She is not deserving of my love. She may be obedient on the exterior, but she schemed at the back."

"On these orders, I would comply as Emperor Commodus still holds my respect." With that Othello took up his exit from the tavern.

"Centurion Iago, I presume. Tell me what did I missed?" Lodovico asked. "Was that the man I once seen, or he had been missing from me with those acts."

"Legatus Othello had a tough time here. He had too many things on his mind." Iago protected his leader.

"To the extent of hitting his own love in public. Its like fornicating in the people's square." Lodovico told the other. "Shameful but it had happened."

"Its not him truly, but there are times, the worse of us may surfaced."Iago chose his words well.

"Was it the letter? I thought he would be delighted." Lodovico pushed on the matter.

"Among it all, and others. We lived in the turbulent era of uncertainty. Good day to you, Sir." Iago took his leave of the tavern leaving Lodovico standing there alone.

"I guessed the walls won't tell me much, so its best I seek my answers elsewhere." Lodovico then turned to leave.



No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...