Thursday, December 18, 2014

Othello the Legatus Act 4 Part 4

Prologue 26

The Senate was in session and the reading of the success of one named Othello was heard. The Emperor was most impressed and had his eyes looked to Brabatio.

"Brabatio, surely you should be proud that the Dark One had prevailed once again for Rome." Emperor Commodus asked the other. Brabatio who was in silence looked up to his Emperor.

"Undoubtingly he had done well in where his skills are needed, but I have yet to hear of my daughter. I hoped she is well in his care, and not discarded like that of the others I have just heard."

That statement drew on an irate Senator from across the floor, whom everyone there knew had just sent his wife of twenty years back to exile.

"I heard you, Brabatio. I took insult to that." Devinius replied. He was a large man with a fine frame from his years as a Legatus before he retired to the Senate. He was in union with Brabatio' cousin and of recently had sent her off to Venice for a rest while he was to wed another younger lady.

"I sent Tonia on her request. She would not bear me another son, and kept her legs closed to even my nose. So I sent her off to her deserving rest." Devinius told the other off. "You could have her back if you wished."

"How dare you insult me when my only love had lain dead for years but my heart remained true to her." Brabatio retaliate in anger. It was then the Emperor stepped in.

"Hold your quarrel to another day, member of the Senate. I am to announced a new member of our Senate. I am proposing to have Othello retained his family post here. His father had long left us, and its time his family name be etched on the list of Senators." Emperor Commodus looked to his assembled Senators. None dared to override his words, and nodded in silence.

"So be it. Brabatio please do me the honor of inviting your son by marriage to his hall." But the later declined.

"I am of failing health and the journey would tired me. Can I send another to do the honor?" Brabatio asked. Emperor Commodus nodded to the request.

"And please bring back Desdemona. I would like to see her too." Emperor Commodus then added on. "His Prime Pilus would assumed command of the Legion until the official announcement on the Legatus rank."


No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...