Monday, December 29, 2014

Devils Own ( Steam Punk Adventure ) 6.7

6.7
The prince laughed at Kassius while he stood on mid air above the abyss. He told them to follow his steps or they will fall off into the abyss.

“It’s an unseen step here. One that was created by Fafnir to deter off the intruders. He was a smart person, but greedy in nature.”

Prince Csaba took to the steps as he descended down, while the others followed suit with careful steps. They tested their legs on the steps before they proceeded to the next one. When the prince reached the thirteenth step, the stairs appeared before their eyes from then on. From there, it was easy to move on with the stairs seen. Soon they reached an opening in the wall, and walked in. It opened up to a long tunnel but this one was man’ height and was without any slimy walls. When they walked further in, the walls seemed to vibrate with shades of colors that slowly unfolded. Then they reached the entrance to a grand hall that spanned for in length and width, laden with treasures from gold coins to statues.

“Mother of all Gods, where is this place?” Derreen shouted out. She had never seen so many treasures and never this size of the hall. It was then a figure stepped out. It was an aged man with his white hair braided to the rear, and was dressed in a dark robe with an abacus on his left hand while his right hand frisked at his long thin whiskers above the upper lip. The robe reached just below his knees, and showed his sandals that were on his feet. When he walked towards them, they could hear the sound of his sandals clapping on the floor.

“Good day to you, Prince Csaba.” The man greeted the newly arrival. “I thought Fafnir had terminated the arrangement with you. So please tell why you are here?”

“Fafnir changed his mind. I am here for the Ark.” Prince Csaba told the man. “Get me it. And remember this well, Guardian. You were placed here on my command, and unless I countered that command, you remain one of my servants.”

The robed man bowed to the prince and then replied.

“The Ark, master? I am afraid you are too late.” The man replied. “Fafnir had sent it off some days ago. He handed it to Richard II who is also his new master.”

With that, the man raised his left hand and shook the abacus above his head. From the horde of treasures, the swarm of beetles with the size of an adult rodent appeared. They were into the dozen in units and were clamoring over the treasures. They were not of flesh but of metallic body to their eight limbs and the crimping claws on their jaw. The beetles were manmade with design of small gears and pneumatic valves with the intricate wiring that connected the parts to miniature steam engine that powered it. It was an advanced development in the design of the engineering schematics then. The beetles were shade in silver shades, and were nimble in their movements.

“I guess Fafnir does not appreciate silver at all.” Prince Csaba slammed the cane head on the beetle that was to bite at his leg. Kassius in turn was kicking at the beetles, while he found higher ground onto the treasures caches. He reached for anything that he could get his hands on to hit at those ravenous beetles.

“Use your sword, Assassin.” Prince Csaba shouted out. “Wave it.”

Kassius did as he was told. When he swung the sword, the beetles near him backed off.

“They feared the sword.” Prince Csaba shouted out while hitting with his walking cane. He then looked to the lady with the flame thrower. She had turned on the flames and it was stopping the beetles from approaching her but her supply was not endless. He had to do something quick or one of them will die. He heard the scream, and looked to that direction. It was Derreen who had slipped on the climb up the gold crates. She had tried to reach higher ground but the beetles were too numerous. Derreen got up and ran to the large statue of the raging bull that towered above the height of man with twice the length of one. She stood before it and reached into her bag. From it, she took out a blue vial and tossed it onto the statue. The blue liquid slowly spread and then engulfed the whole statue. Once that was done, its eyes came alive and it stamped its hoofs.

“Do my command.” Derreen called on the bull. “The beetles are my enemies.”

The bull raised its head and snorted out blue vapor from its nostrils. It then charged into the approaching beetles and stomped on any that was in its way.  Some of the beetles tried to climb up the bull, but it found the blue surface was not conducive for climbing.  The bull raged on and used it hoofs without stopping. Prince Csaba saw the robed figure was fleeing the scene. He took to the chase and cornered the robed man at the exit.

“Tell me the truth, Guardian.”

The robed man smiled and then replied.

“I had served one too many masters before my time. I am prepared to be my own.” The robed man smiled. “With this last task, I will be free.”

“I told you not the entire truth.” The robed man continued on. “I did give the Ark to Richard II, but not the entire contents. I had been the guardian of the Ark for so long, do you think I had never peek inside. I seen the Ark content and suffered the ailment that came from it.”

The robed man opened up his robe to reveal his body frame. His body was still there and then not as if it was shifting between dimensions. It was solid in one instances and then translucent in another.

“The Ark had defense of poisoning the one who intrude without authorization. The Ark will cause the intruder to slowly fade into oblivion.” The robed man sighed. “Soon enough but before I go, please allow me to tell you of the Ark contents.”

“The Ark’ case may be of importance but its contents are more than priceless. Among the contents were the commandment tablets, the altar ornaments then, and there was one other which evades many others attention.”
The robed man reached into his robe and withdrew a small plain case from it. It fitted into his right palm and handed it over to the prince.

“It’s yours to begin with. Your father was its benefactor, not by inheritance but by choice but your lack of dedication to safeguard it had let it slipped off. I think it’s time you hold it back.” The robed man smiled. “It’s not complete, for my earlier words I have spoken. Richard did hold the other piece of the Ark. He had seized it from me, while I had this one preserved. Richard holds the one which controls major shifts while this one is the smaller one controlled only the individual shifts.”

“What is the difference? Kassius asked.

“The Ark is actually two pieces; one shaped like the ship and the other hidden inside which was the orb that carried the images of its servant. Not many knew of it, for it was only I who had the studied it. Even when Richard or Merlin had used it individually, they had never understood the contents. The larger piece seems to commands the major rifts in its power, but the smaller one gave one individual power. I know not but I suspect it was not meant to be split. Despite that, I gave Richard the bigger piece then. You held the smaller orb.”

“Fool! Do you know the consequences of your action?” Prince Csaba grabbed the robed man by the shoulder.

“I am a Inquisitor myself. I did as per my nature. But I also learned more than just making the mistake. I also learned on how to undo the mistake.”

“Speak then, old fool.” Prince Csaba was getting impatient while he moved his hands off the old robed man.

“Only its master could restore the balance. Find Noah and with his help, the Ark could be completed. And only he may know how to hide ….or destroy the Ark.” The robed man sighed. “I am old and too weak to continue on. I will take my leave of you now, sire.”

The robed man dropped his robe and then body dissipated into the air. Only the robe, the abacus and the sandals remained. Prince Csaba cursed at the leftover robe while he pranced in anger at the chamber.

“We are not out of the trouble yet, Prince.” Kassius shouted to the other. “If Richard still holds the Ark, we are not of the darkness.


“We must make haste then.” Prince Csaba stormed off from the chamber. 

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...