Tuesday, January 8, 2013

The Lady in Red Chapter 2

Pimps needs more Insurance Cover.

Archer Levington was hog tied to the sewage pipe in the alley far from the main street. We are hidden from any onlookers by the large garbage dump. I laid a few more punches into his ribs before I raised up his head. He knows what I want to do but he ain't talking just it.

"Stop it, Mike." Archer coughed up the blood inside his throat. "Its a new outfit. Out of town but with influences. They deal on the higher ring; more private clientele."

"Perversion included~" I slammed my fist into his right ribs. Archer nodded before he threw our his morning meal. I got my lead and time to skim the milk layer off. "Names, Archer."

"Jeffrey...... Jeffrey Manning." That was all I needed to uncuff him and walked himself to some medical help.

I tracked down Manning to a lavish office building in the better part of the city. He was a lawyer in a prestigious office; handles big clients and now may be a pimp. I used my Chrysler Saratoga 1940; bought off a guy who was going to do time at half the price of a new one/. For five hundred bucks, she come with a four doors running on a eight cylinder engine but the gasoline was really drying up my wallet. I followed Manning; checked his hangouts, and found nothing unusual. It must had been my preoccupation with the lawyer as I missed the one tracking me. I left Manning after his afternoon lunch and drove off towards the city largest park. I took my usual drive with glances to the rear mirror; I did not want to loose my tracker. I parked at the open carpark and walked to the nearby lake. There was a boat house that was abandoned for some years. I knew as I found one fo my quarry there hiding from his wife; it was a case of spouse abuse.

I went in and there was no one in the place, but a lot of junkies apparatus. I hid there in the dark and waited. It was not long as my tracker came to the the house. The figure was alone and came in like an amateur. The figure was dressed in hooded jacket with dark slacks. It was no hoodlum but appeared to be a young person. I stepped out and confronted the figure.

"Looking for me?" The figure was shocked by my appearance and reached for something in the jacket. "I got a gun so don't do anything stupid."

The figure stopped and took the hand out. I walked to confront my tracker. It was a young lady and she looked afraid.

"Are you Micheal Blake; Private Detective?" Her voice betrayed the fear.

An hour later in Jake's, she told me more of herself. Her name was Connie Mary Forester; the dead lady's sister. She was doing her finals in college when she was told of her sister fate. She came over to find her dead sister' murderer; thinking that she could be the next Charlie Chan. She traced me through the Police report and fancied I might know. She had me followed; running tabs on the taxi fares and starving herself off. In my words, she was an amateur trying to do a professional work. I was not being rude, because professionals knew when its time to eat and she does not. She was walloping down Jake's food like it was served at the fast food kiosk down the street. I would ket her enjoyed the meal but the new arrival of the two men at Jake's spoiled the atmosphere.

The hoodlums drew their automatic but from my vantage seat, it was like watching the batsman bracing for the throw. I had my .45 caliber out and had it armed before I shot the frist guy holding the Thompson automatic. The bullet blew a hole in his chest just below his heart when I pushed young Forester off her seat. I dropped down next to her and fired off my second shot at the second man in the left knee. He spun on the injured leg but not before I laid him to rest with a bullet in the back of his neck. I was one of the best in the sniper's squad, and those live action made me a better shooter.

Connie was screaming her head off while Jake came running out from his kitchen with the Luger P38 he hides behind his kitchen window. He was an ex-cop and took the usual stance they employed in the firing range. That was how I saw him before he got hit. There was another hoodlum behind and armed with a sawn off shot gun. The hoodlum took Jake on the right shoulder before back off to the waiting car. I got up and rushed to the doorway. I would had shot but the hoodlum was already speeding away in the getaway car.

Jake made it but he won't be serving coffee for some days. Connie ended up in my apartment, wearing my Friday shirt, and sleeping in my bed. I ended up on my couch but this time I had the .45 on my chest.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Mike, can you drop the heroes stuff? We can do without the extra." Vinny must had loved me more than my contribution of the rental. I am back in the office and had Connie in my office while I discussed with Vinny. While I was chasing skirts and getting range practice, Vinny did some works too. She had hijacked her networks of walkers and found more than I can get on the official channel.

Manning works as liaison for the bigger ring that was cutting into the upper ring turf. They had downed some big Madam. Manning works as the girls lawyer in case of any law harassment. The one whom I dumped the first evening was one of the pimps or they preferred to be called Executives. The two injured in the shoot out at Jake's are well paid hoodlums from out of town with good lawyers. The only Vinny does not know was who was running the operation.

I soon did as late morning, I got a visitor.

"Mr Blake, I worked for some interesting parties who would like you to be compensated for the time you spent on the Forester case." The squat Oriental man handed me an envelope with a stack of bank notes. The Banker suit fitted him well, but I dislike bankers. I thought they had all died in the last depression thirty years back but I guessed new ones must had been groomed from the new flock. " I trust that the amount would be more than adequate."

The Oriental man dropped the envelope on the desk. I looked at it and smiled before I looked up at him. I picked up the tissue from the box I keep handy for such reason. I used the tissue paper to grabbed the end of the envelope and tossed out the bank note.

"You can keep the money, but I would have the envelope." I made it plain across to the Oriental man. "Buy yourself a 'chow mein'' at the Chinese takeaway. You might want to picked out the roach legs they may stashed in the dish."

"Mr Blake, you do not know who you are dealing with? Please take my advise." The Oriental man gave me his wide smile. "I would be careful. Very careful."

Once the Oriental man left, Connie walked in and confronted me.

"What did my sister do to deserve this?"

"She fucked the wrong man', I looked at her pained expression. "Or did not fucked the wrong man."

"You disgust me." She walked out and Vinny came in to the office.

"Do I get a new office or a new shotgun?" I loved Vinny. She can find humor in any situation. I passed the envelope to her. She knew what was to be done; envelopes are expensive and we have uses for them. That's was also why we shared the same office.

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...