Sunday, October 24, 2021

Vlad the Impaller Chapter 2

 Canto XXIII

The Eighth Circle: Fraud

Bolgia 6: Hypocrites

Scene I

 

Dante and Virgil made their way to leave the bolgia for the demons have recovered their mates and were in pursuit. The paces of the demons were faster and were catching up.

“Virgil, do call on the mechanical orb. It may help us here as it did at the Gates of Dis.” Dante called Virgil. “Our legs are getting weaker and doubt we could make it do much now.”

Virgil called on the orb to appear and then told it to frighten the demons.

“And what do you need for? My last task for you was disdain by you for I may have you killed----ironically, to be killed in Hell when you are already dead.” The orb snorted the red light on the beep.

“It’s not my soul that needed saving but of Dante. He is not dead and will be if you don’t assist.” Virgil told the orb. “You have to act.”

The orb hovered above the soul of Virgil and then hovered to the rear. It approached the pursuing demons. As what it at the Gates of Dis, it emitted the sonar blast that scared the demons. Dante and Virgil continued their run and soon reached what appeared to be a huge building; multi-levels in height and numerous windows on the sides, with the huge double doors in the front. On the front of the building was a signboard with these words.

‘The difference between a saint and a hypocrite is that one lies for his religion, the other by it.’ (Mina Antrim; https://www.brainyquote.com/topics/hypocrite-quotes)

“I think we are out of that bolgia. Here we may rest before we proceed?” Dante took a breather then. He looked at Virgil.

“You were brave back there to confront the demons.” Dante praised the other. “I was afraid then and even now if the demons will not pursue us to even here.”

“You are right for we are out of that bolgia.” Virgil motioned to the rear of them, and then he ducked. It was the orb that had flown by its creator.

“You made me ---” Virgil looked to the orb that hovered before him then.

“Feared? Surely, you asked for my aid and I arrived, with the demons more feared now of me, they had remained hidden in their lair.” The orb cut into its creator’s words.

“I thought I lost you again.” Virgil looked at the orb. “How is your power storage?”

“I am fine. I recalibrated the power to absorb from the heat which is aplenty here. I am fully charged and raring to go.”

“And you will not. I need you hidden and please do as per my instruction.” Virgil commanded the orb with courteous words. The orb adhered to the request and Virgil was once more sighing with relief.

“Are you well, Virgil? You are my companion but more you are my protector here. If what I have portrayed here may not reflect my anxiety inside of me.” Dante smiled at the other.

“Let us rest now.” Virgil returned the smile. It was then the orb reappeared.

“Creator, I think you are like a lioness to her cubs. Do you know of the tale you told me when I ---- was of the early making?” The orb looked to its creator. “You told me that a mother will do what she can for her children. A fire had broken out in the house and the mother than in her nightgown had cared not for her safety rushed to save the children. They escaped the fire and all they had on was their skin.”

“She had on a chemise, orb. Not a nightgown.” Virgil corrected the orb.

“Chemise? I thought it was the nightgown. Have you mistaken that tale for the one you lewd over named Fanny? Anyway, I do apologize if my version was bawdy.” The orb replied and it made Dante laughed.

“Fanny---- I think I read that once. Was it Fanny Hill published in the twentieth century?” (https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/195144.Fanny_Hill_or_Memoirs_of_a_Woman_of_Pleasure)

“Fancy me, the poet and man of the collar. You read that book?”

“It was a prelude to understanding the sinners that came to me. It was educational and shall remain as so.” Dante replied. “All in the day’s work for me.”

.It was then the turn of Dante chose to speak on another tale.  

“I have a tale to narrate. The act of the sinner who tricked the demons could be narrated as the Mouse and Frog by Aesop. It read like this.”

“A young Mouse in search of adventure was running along the bank of a pond where lived a Frog. When the Frog saw the Mouse, he swam to the bank and croaked: "Won't you pay me a visit? I can promise you a good time if you do."

The Mouse did not need much coaxing, for he was very anxious to see the world and everything in it. But though he could swim a little, he did not dare risk going into the pond without some help. The Frog had a plan. He tied the Mouse's leg to his own with a tough reed. Then into the pond, he jumped, dragging his foolish companion with him. The Mouse soon had enough of it and wanted to return to shore, but the treacherous Frog had other plans. He pulled the Mouse down under the water and drowned him. But before he could untie the reed that bound him to the dead Mouse, a Hawk came sailing over the pond. Seeing the body of the Mouse floating on the water, the Hawk swooped down, seized the Mouse, and carried it off, with the Frog dangling from its leg. Thus, at one swoop he had caught both meat and fish for his dinner.” (http://read.gov/aesop/021.html)

“As I recalled the tale, I do of Ciampolo. He may have done it many times the act of deceiving the demons, that one day he may not succeed at it. Those who seek to harm others often come to harm themselves through their deceit.”

“I doubt it so, Poet. Your tale may speak of doom for the grafter but the more accurate tale is of the Fox and the Crow.” Virgil replied to Dante’s tale.

“Do tell, creator.” The orb asked of Virgil.

One bright morning as the Fox was following his sharp nose through the wood in search of a bite to eat, he saw a Crow on the limb of a tree overhead. This was by no means the first Crow the Fox had ever seen. What caught his attention this time and made him stop for a second look, was that the lucky Crow held a bit of cheese in her beak.

"No need to search any farther," thought sly Master Fox. "Here is a dainty bite for my breakfast."

Up he trotted to the foot of the tree in which the Crow was sitting, and looking up admiringly, he cried, "Good morning, beautiful creature!"

The Crow, her head cocked on one side, watched the Fox suspiciously. But she kept her beak tightly closed on the cheese and did not return his greeting.

"What a charming creature she is!" said the Fox. "How her feathers shine! What a beautiful form and what splendid wings! Such a wonderful Bird should have a very lovely voice since everything else about her is so perfect. Could she sing just one song, I know I should hail her Queen of Birds."

Listening to these flattering words, the Crow forgot all her suspicion, and also her breakfast. She wanted very much to be called Queen of Birds. So she opened her beak wide to utter her loudest caw and down fell the cheese straight into Fox's open mouth.

"Thank you," said Master Fox sweetly, as he walked off. "Though it is cracked, you have a voice sure enough. But where are your wits?" (http://read.gov/aesop/027.html).

“Why do I say so for Ciampolo as he lived at the expense of those who will listen to him,” Virgil concluded his tale.

Dante was to reply when he saw the double doors at the building open.

 


 

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...