Saturday, October 16, 2021

Dante Book II Canto XXI Scene II

 Scene II

 

“I am Malacoda.” The demon approached Virgil with the other demons. Malacoda held a huge frame and towered over the others. It strode with its lower frame that of the goat but its upper frame was human with the two huge horns on the forehead and the set of eyes sunken in deep into the face. It held the nose but that one snorts in deep breathes.

“Who dares to call on Malacoda?” The huge demon roared.

The demons accompanying the leader had then spread out behind the leader. Some crouched on their haunches balanced with the pitchfork with their hinds spread, lewd in portrayal there. Others stood on their lower limbs leaning on the pitchfork, but all held the sneer on their expression.

It was then Virgil stepped forth to the so-named leader.

“I am on a task to journey past Hell, and your domain lies in the path. Make way for me so that I can complete the task or God will bring His wrath on you here. He had decreed that whoever stands in my path will be punished by him.”

Dante heard the companion of his spoke at his hiding place. He feared for Virgil for if it was not for the mechanical orb who assisted them then, they would not have reached that deep into Hell. Once he recalled Stefan told him that in the war, he had seen when a surrender was not a defeat.

“I was in the battle of Pisan when I was a Regular. We lost the battle and were offered to surrender. My commander did that and we marched back to our lines; our pride was done for but our lives were saved.” Stefan told Dante. “It's no defeat if we are alive.”

“I heard of no…” Malacoda spoke but was cut off.

“Are you the minion or the Devil himself, that God had to lean down to whisper in your ears? I am his messenger and yet I do not do so.” Virgil snapped at the demon. “Give me my path and you may ---return to your post.”

“I cannot do that for---” Malacoda was once more interrupted.

“Malacoda, my tolerance of your incomp---” It was Virgil who was cut off then.

“Hear me out, the protected one. I was to say that the path ahead may be ringed by others that could be hostile to you. I fear for you.” Malacoda said in a softer tone. “I only meant well.”

Dante heard the words of the demon and knew in his mind, the ways of the demon can be at times, misleading. What may be termed as kindly may be more of a lure to danger. He has to warn Virgil but how could he do it unless he took to leave his place of hidden. He decided then and emerged to the demons.

“I thank you for your advice but we are capable of handling ourselves.” Dante stepped up next to Virgil. The latter was surprised that Dante took such a bold move.

“What is this that pukes my snort? He is not ---” Malacoda could sense that Dante was not a dead soul but a living one. The demon roared and then grabbed his pitchfork to level at Dante.

“Hold your haste, Malacoda. Dante is the soul I am to take to leave Hell. He lived as we speak, and his presence fouls the ---- air we take. He is the banishment that God had asked me to ensure that he is removed.” Virgil stood in between Malacoda and Dante. “Harm him and fear your harm that will befall you.”

“He is not --- dead. How did he end up here and so far deep into the bowels of Hell?” A demon standing there raised the question.

“Be quiet, be quiet, Scarmiglione;” Malacoda silenced the demon there.

“I heed thee but the stone bridge to cross over have crumbled. The Harrowing of Hell had it done then. If you insist, your path lies yonder by the creek where the inlaid stones may tread on to cross.” Malacoda explained. “But the path is treacherous.”

Virgil took to silence by the new path he was to take. He was undecided.

“I could send my demons to traverse the path ahead.” Malacoda offered his services. “They will ensure your safety and round up the strays.”

It was a good offer but Dante felt there was malice in the intentions. He preferred they travel on alone as they had done before. He thought of the words spoken.

“A truth that may at times appear false and yet an appearance of a lie may be the real truth.” Those words rang inside Dante. “It was like to be or not to be.”

“We will be fine on our own. We do thank you for your services.” Dante replied to the demon.

“I do insist. You are our --- divine guests.” Malacoda insisted. “I---”

“Leader, he may think we are like them grifters in the pit.” It was Scarmiglione who spoke out of line.

“Grafters, we all are.” The ones in the pit echoed.

“Silence there, all of you sinners.” The demons who were there turned towards the pit and did their worse with the pitchforks.

“Malice is their nature.” One of the sinners roared out and was given the treatment of the pitchfork.

“Shall we get at them now?” Scarmiglione once more spoke out of line.

“Scarmiglione, if not for the tree of soul we shared, I would have you tossed into the pit with the sinners.” Malacoda frowned at the other. “You just had been from my mother’s side to be so naïve at times.”

“Yeah, place him to seat on the pitchfork. Both ends in him.” The other demon named Calcabrina called out. “Make him the double entry.”

“Ouch!” A sinner in the pit called out.

“Shut up, Accountant.” Calcabrina thrust the pitchfork at the sinner in the rear. The other demons all laughed then.

“I agreed that as malice is your nature, we will refrain from your good services.” Dante putting the focus on the matter had then looked at the demon leader.

“Malice? Indeed, we hold malice in us but I ---” Malacoda put on a smile that conjures up images of a clownish character with the bad hairdo and red nose, with yellow cheeks.

“We have decided.” Dante cut in. “Virgil, do follow me behind. We are long delayed.”

“If you insisted.” Malacoda sighed and then called on the demons. “But I fear I will insist too to show our ---sincerity, am I not right, demons? We will march with you at a distance you will not fear us. We will give the honor you deserved.”

“Line up, demons. Step forward, Alichino and Calcabrina,” Malacoda called the others by the name. “And thou, Cagnazzo; And Barbariccia, get in line and do thou guide the line at there. Come forward, Libicocco and Draghignazzo, and tusked Ciriatto and Graffiacane, and Farfarello and mad Rubicante.”

“And you too, Scarmiglione or your mother will see me in the pit there stewed to the full.” All the demons stood in two rows as if there seen on marching grounds.

“It ain’t my fault we are related. It was Father who did it. You should have him then taken other measures.” Scarmiglione hit out in defense. “It’s not that we wanted to be related.”

“Scarmiglione, by the sacred oath to our dear mother, I had to spare you ---- for now.” Malacoda then turned back to Virgil. “Siblings are a pest in the anus.”

“As you can no farther go forward upon this crag, because lying shattered, at the bottom, the sixth arch. Bad event it was the Harrowing of Hell that one.” Malacoda continued and motioned to the fallen bridge ahead. “And if it still doth please you to go onward, pursue your way along upon this rock; and near is another crag that yields a path.” 

The duo took their walk between the rows, and it was then Virgil saw the demons had their tongue between their teeth, and on the signal of the leader, they made the blow of the trumpet from their rump.

“We called if the brimstone salute.” Malacoda smiled. “Now be done with Scarmiglione. I can’t stand the sight of him.”

The other demons roared in delight and grabbed the one named Scarmiglione to toss him into the pit.

“A stew we will hold, stewed to the bones, and stew we will feast.” The demons sang to their delight.


 

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...