Sunday, October 10, 2021

Story Write Compilations Volume 2 Stories 29

 Heigh Ho; The Story

Authors Note: This is a short tale on anything gold and I selected this one.

 

Contests rules:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

We dig dig dig dig dig dig dig in our mine the whole day through

To dig dig dig dig dig dig dig is what we really like to do

It ain't no trick to get rich quick

If you dig dig dig with a shovel or a pick

In a mine! In a mine! In a mine! In a mine!

Where a million diamonds shine!

 

We dig dig dig dig dig dig dig from early morn till night

We dig dig dig dig dig dig dig up everything in sight

We dig up diamonds by the score

A thousand rubies, sometimes more

But we don't know what we dig 'em for

 

We dig dig dig a-dig dig

Heigh-ho, Heigh-ho Heigh-ho, Heigh-ho Heigh-ho

 

( Song sang by the dwarfs on Snow White. )

 

Then my sound drowned into silence as I trudged my solitary walk to the mine again. It was not the same when we used to walk with seven in the column but now only I walk alone. Even the mine is getting old as its veins dry up with the god content and we are digging more of the earth than of gold. But I am a dwarf and if I am not digging up gold, I would be fighting goblins and ogres. But they too are gone slain by man or gods as they are called.

 

I reached the entrance to the mine and wondered if I would walk or ride the iron carts as the younger ones used to do. I did when I was their age when we would hop onto it and be whizzed down the tunnels at breakneck speed to stopped just before we hit the end. But I am past my two hundred age of years and by heck, I would do this again only when I am a wreck. I climbed into the cart and pushed off with the levels. Soon I find myself swooping down the tunnels at breakneck speed but in my current perception, it was a suicidal move. I crawled into the cart and avoid looking over the top while it was at a dizzy speed.

 

I prayed to the Gods to have mercy on my soul and please do not serve me penance on the last day of my life. But soon I find myself flying in the air as the cart crashed into that tunnel wall on its final approach. I don't which broke more; my bones or the stones on the wall, but I ended up in a large cavern. It's huge and there is a small mound which I could stand up to see the whole cavern. There is something on the walls but without light, I could not make it out. I wanted to crawl out of the cavern to get the lantern but the sound of a whimpering girl stopped me. I seek out the source of the whimpering and locate the girl.

 

"Who are you and how did you come to be in this dim-lit cavern?" I reached out with my hand to assist the girl who was sitting on the floor. She took my hand and stood up, now towering over me at twice my height.

 

"Thank you, dwarf. I have been imprisoned here for ages and you have rescued me. I must thank you for giving me my freedom. What would you wished for most in your life?" The girl who stands before me bends forth to listen to my wish.

 

"I am a dwarf and my greatest desire is gold, but my heart tells me above it is my need to have friends. Would you be mine so that I won't feel lonely anymore?" I longed for companionship as there are all gone and I am all alone. What is gold if I have no one to share it with. If I were to die one day, the gold would be left behind as I leave this physical world.

 

"Dwarf, your noble intentions are mine to be fulfilled." The girl reached up with her hands to the skies and she spread them apart to the sides. When she does that, from her back the growth of golden feathers starts to spread from a single one to a cluster of them. As her feathers grew, she also grow in height to reach four times my height, and then her feathers grew ever longer and higher. When she has grown to her size, she began to radiate a golden aura on her body which soon spread to the feathers that winged up like that of the eagle. But she is not of an eagle but a blazing golden radiance phoenix bursting with energy and power.

 

Her golden radiance did not stop at her but spread across the cavern to show as veins of gold in its wall. The golden radiance reflects on the gold elements and light up the cavern. 

 

"Dwarf, your desire is as shown, but the need would come before your desire." The phoenix points to the hole in which I had crawled through, a column of dwarfs came marching in with their picks and shovels. They numbered not five or ten but of many as they come in singing the song I know so well.

 

We dig dig dig dig dig dig dig in our mine the whole day through

 

To dig dig dig dig dig dig dig is what we like to do

It ain't no trick to get rich quick

If you dig dig dig with a shovel or a pick

In a mine! In a mine! In a mine! In a mine!

Where a million diamonds shine!

We dig dig dig dig dig dig dig from early morn till night

We dig dig dig dig dig dig dig up everything in sight

We dig up diamonds by the score

A thousand rubies, sometimes more

But we don't know what we dig 'em for

We dig dig dig a-dig dig

Heigh-ho, Heigh-ho Heigh-ho, Heigh-ho Heigh-ho

 

I was not alone for the rest of my life as I am now the leader of a dwarf clan who inhabits in these tunnels while we all dig the gold veins for more of what we desired.

 

 

 

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...