Wednesday, October 27, 2021

Story Write Compilations Volume 2 Story 35

 My rights and yours.

 

Authors Note: This is a short tale on the title above. Please note this is Droit du seigneur ( first time right ).

 

Contests rules:

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

I rushed into the house and I searched the place but there was no one to be seen. Everything is in its place but not the occupants of the house. I ran out to the yard and also searched the adjoining structures but not a sign of a living being was to be seen. Even the servants are gone and so are the animals they reared.

 

"Is it a plague, my Lord? I pray they showed me the signs. How can a house of twenty or more go missing in one night? I can think of only two things, my Lord; thy retribution as I have mentioned earlier with the plague, or am I the cause of it all." I fell to my knees to asked for his forgiveness.

 

It was only yesterday, that we were rejoicing on this very ground with the feast of a lavish spread and the music that only a muse could play. I was sitting there on this long table that fills up with twenty merry wishers of my marriage to Elena. It's truly a joyous ceremony as we shared wine and meat while the servants ran without a stop to filled our goblets and laid on more plates of food. I looked at my bride and I see her more beautiful than ever before. She give me a sweet smile when she saw me looking.

 

"Thank you, Elena. I know not of any man who would be happier than thee today to have thy as the bride. Thank you, my love." I leaned over to kiss her on her lips which she cringed away in embarrassment. "Why do thy run when its only lips who is kissing? It would be more if they choose to resist."

 

Her father sitting next to her burst out in laughter as he hears of his new son making a jest of his daughter who is the new bride. I turned to my newly recognized brother who is already half-drunk with the wine which I was to add on more to his goblet.

 

"You have a lovely sister, Micheal. I am proud to be thy' brother and make thy proud of me." I raised my goblet to a toast on my words and he followed with it by finishing his wine. It's nice to be here among the friendly people of this village and since my arrival not a week ago, I am now one of them.

 

"Tell me, Peter; how long did thy roam the open plains of Spain and France, and what made thy come back to England to stake your claim on a local lass?' I looked at the man who raised the most interesting question of the day. He is none other than Elena's uncle, Brian of something; my drunken mind could not be recalled then. But his question was raised to me, I could answer without a thought.

 

"For over a decade I have traveled my journey through France and Spain and then back again. I fought in many battles and for the fact I am standing here, I must be lucky." That bought the merry wishers to bang on the table and roared their approval of my words. I must not be boastful or they would see me as one too arrogant. So I take the middle path and remain as plain as possible. "But I found myself always lonely... And in need of love."

 

"Surely, there must be some lass who could comfort you well with their bosoms." I knew that was coming but I answered with my look to my wife.

 

"They cometh alright for a man so vile as thee but I resist them like the Sirens of the Reefs as I know if I am to be married, it would be to a love of mine from my native England. I saved it well for this day as she has for her man." That drew more laughter and banging from the merry revelers. The feast drew on to the night while the drunken gets dragged off. I find myself being offered more in my goblet and yet I tried to refuse, I had to oblige as these are to be my kin's man. It was late morning when I awakened to find myself in the barn. Funny I would be lying here as am I not the groom to the bride. Maybe those men are playing their tricks on me as their customs, I pulled myself to the legs and dragged my legs out.

 

The rest you know.

 

But what I was to know later makes me asked myself, do I deserved this.

 

It was past noon when I saw the entourage of my new kins coming back, with my bride's father leading the mount that carried my bride. They looked so solemn as if they have come from a funeral. I rushed out to meet them and I was surprised that my new father held me back.

 

"She would be cleaned before you can see her." I turned to see behind him as the ladies lead my bride to the house. The men surround me as if to stop me from going forth.

 

"What happened? Did someone die? Please tell me, father." I looked to the older man whom I am not calling father.

 

"Peter, thy are new to our land. There are some things which thy do not know. And we did not say." He sounded so sad and I had to know.

 

"Father, is Elena sick? I still would love her. I have taken to the vow to love and cherish her. So tell me what is wrong." I reached out my hands to hold the older man to speak.

 

"She is well and strong as her mother. She is not of any sickness but she had undergone a ritual which thy may not know as its the custom of the land. " I was relieved and laughed at him.

 

"Ritual? I have seen many in my travels. Nothing scares me anymore. If that is what she has gone through, then I am not offended. But why the long sad looks. Surely this ritual does not call for blood sacrifice like some I have seen." I looked around me and none of them are smiling. I looked back at the older man and I asked of him.

 

"Tell me, father. " The older man shook his head and looked at me.

 

"Son, she had been given to the Lord as part of the Droit du seigneur. It's his right on our land. Do you understand?"

 

"Yes, I do."

 

-----------------------------------      -----------------------------------     

 

I took the man's head who is the Lord of the Land here after I have removed it from his body while he was sleeping. I took it to the fireplace where the night fire still burns with some low warmth. I threw his head into the fire and watched it burned like the Devil at the stake.

 

"Eye for an eye. This is thee' way of doing it. Thy took her most valued item from thee, I take what is most valued to thy. May you wake up in Hell. In your next life, don't take anything from an assassin. "

 

 

 

 


No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...