Saturday, October 16, 2021

Dante Book II Canto XVIX Scene III

 Scene III

 

Dante’s silence was an uneasy companion in their walk and soon they rested on the journey. Virgil did not need the rest but the respite was good for both of them to reconcile their thoughts.

“Poet, I ---” Virgil decided to start but was cut in by Dante.

“I was upset and was wrong but I will not forgive that soul. He who represents what may be my aspiration in my hopes had shown me otherwise,” Dante said.

“Is it not repentance still a way of our forgiving?” Virgil asked.

“Is it? Would you allow it if harm was done to you? I think not. Not even the physical blows to your body, let alone the emotional scars to your soul. I stand by repentance if the other will accept it but in those, I will not allow it.”

“Late repentance; or repentance extremis can come in degrees, and it should usually be enough that the extremist is genuinely remorseful and repudiates their violent actions against innocent people, even if it would be better in many cases if they also abandoned extremist thinking and dropped their commitment to their ultimate cause. (https://www.jstor.org/stable/26897029?seq=1).” Virgil explained what was his approach. “God may allow sinners to repent and convert to the good throughout life, as long as one is alive.”

“I know of that but that soul is not living anymore like me. He is dead and in death, he will pay for his sins.” Dante offered his view. “I am not offering judgment but I will abide by the ones given here.”

“I am pleased, Poet. You are finally seeing the right from the wrong, and not be swayed by your heart.” Virgil smiled. “Now we may still leave Hell in the proper mode.”

“I don’t know, Virgil. The stretch of my journey so far, tells me of the sins we can commit and the just punishment is given, but could I change my view on the trip ahead. I am not sure.” Dante placed on a smile.

“There on, I will quote you Isaiah 48:6 from the Book. “You have heard; look at all this. And you, will you not declare it? I proclaim to you new things from this time, even hidden things which you have not known.” (Source: https://bible.knowing-jesus.com/Isaiah/48/6)

“I am no soothsayer.” Dante laughed.

“I am a soul of logic and science. It will be daft of me to say I may know what will come.” Virgil laughed in return. They walked on with a lighter conscience.

 

 

 

 



No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...