Wednesday, February 19, 2020

Deep Heat II Chapter 10


10.

“I can’t tell you anything on the case.” CI Bromley replied to me when I met him the next morning. “I am just the aide to work CI McMahon. He is the honcho here.”

I had come in with my direct inquiries on the confrontation on my lover and also the link to Robert Kellie. I also asked on the so-named new development on the case.

“I will investigate the officers who were there at the Medical Centre. That part I can do for you.” CI Bromley replied. “The others you need to see CI McMahon.”

I was annoyed with the repetitious reply by the CI. If I have my way, I would have him demoted to a desk job. I sniggered inside me for it was what I was fucking doing daily. Then the call came.

“DCI, I heard that you are in the case of the Assistant Police Constable. Either you are deaf or I have you on the graveyard shift.” I heard the Chief Constable then. “And for your information, Derek Langston is discharged today. Stay away from him. That is an order.”

I was annoyed. I have no leads on Robert Kellie’s case and now Sidney’s gang is targeted. My girlfriend was harassed by my mates. I knew that the only person I could talk to was Derrick Langley. The man did not answer my call. My other option was the man discharged from the Medical Centre.

Derek Langton lived in the suburbs with his cats and old mother. I rode past his place and saw the detective car parked outside. They did not form my Station but an adjacent one. I took it to the rear and saw another car. Heck, the man was protected better than the Chief Constable. I gave up and called Tabitha.

“Ian’s fine. He will need time to recover. The bullet missed his major organs.” That was a relief to hear from Tabitha and she offered me her assistance. It was too good to refuse. I asked who was leading Sidney’s gang and I got a name.

Marvey Luther.

“Sister, you aren’t welcome here no more.” I had stepped into Sidney’s turf and went straight to their hangout. It was a cafĂ© in their turf, with the three tables fully occupied by the members. There were nine guys and six girls, including Marvey Luther.

“I did not come for trouble, Marvey.” I walked past the three tables and met the person behind the serving counter. Marvey was the tomboy among the members; with the crewcut and leather wears, with the huge earrings and metal lined gloves. She was Sidney’s enforcer on the ladies. After his death, she assumed leadership.

“Tell me why I should entertain you. Sidney is dead and that ended your lineage duty. I have assumed …” Marvey talked too much. I grabbed the other by the right hand and dragged her head down onto the serving counter. Her face slammed hard onto the counter and then I held the pinkie finger with the pressure applied. Marvey screamed out in pain and was to fight back when I pushed her pinkie finger backward.

“Don’t fight me, bitch. I have been fighting on the street since you were a babe.” I had then withdrawn the sawn-off shotgun and aimed it the others. “Anyone steps out of line will be blown to bits.”

“Marvey, we will talk in the back. Move!” I instructed the former. Marvey nodded and the standoff was off. I followed the tomboy to the rear office. It was a small office with the filing cabinet and the desk with the couch to lay on. I closed and locked the door before facing Marvey who went behind the desk. I aimed my shotgun and told her to try anything stupid.

“I am ….”

“Fuck you, Marvey. I know of the gun strapped under the desk. So lay your hands on the desk.” I stood over her and then continued on. “I want to know who shot the detective.”

“I did. It was a burner gun. I tossed it in the trash soon after we were in the clear on Second Street….. in parts.” Marvey could strip a gun into its components in seconds. She was trained on the street.

“Why the Detective?” I had to ask.

“He was dirty. He was working for the others to take over.” Marvey replied. “He was with the Selby or the Cohen now. He was seen with the Irish. They move in on our turf.”

“What happened to the treaty?” Sidney had said there was a treaty with the others.

“Sidney’s death was the end of the treaty. We were to defend ourselves. Your Police are on their side.”

“Marvey, you were with Sidney and the later, Shawn. Tell me…” I was cut off by Marvey.

“Shawn betrayed us all. He was with the Police. I told Sidney but was told to keep quiet.” Marvey told me. “I have seen him talking to the Police in the car.”

“Shawn? He was…”

had a friend checked his background. He fingering Sidney but your dad was not listening. I had proof but he won’t believe me.”

“Show me the proof.” I requested. Marvey reached into the desk drawer and withdrew a photo. It was of Shawn with another I was not able to identify, but there was the third man in the picture. It was from Robert Kellie.

“Who is the guy?”

“I don’t know. I just happened to follow Shawn and got that mug. There is one other mug I took.” Marvey showed me the other photo. It was a familiar face.

Derrick Langley.

“He was photographing them too. I heard he is a journalist. I had him followed and where he hangout.” Marvey gave me the address. I took to leave and was offered the back door. “We have the others watching us.”

I told her I rode her and was told to pass the keys.

“We will take care of your ride. We will return it in the day.” With that, I took off to the alley and hailed a taxi down the street. I went to the address given by Marvey.

It was an industrial small lot and there were three cars in the yard. I called Tabitha after alighting from the taxi to run the plates for me.

“The Metropolitan issuance plates but to whom I can’t tell without clearance.” I thanked Tabitha. Those were my mates and from the look of the place, it was an off-premise staging area or a task force operations area. This lead was getting me into deeper territory than my rank could handle. I had to leave but when I turned, I saw Derrick.

“Nice of you to drop by. Care to come in.” I could not resist. He had a Glock 17 aimed at my groin. I had that barrel up me once and did not like it.


No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...