Thursday, February 20, 2020

1914 Chapter 10

10. The Breach


Peter Weiner, Hauptmann


British Expeditionary Force ( BEF ) under Sir John French, launched a frontal infantry assault upon the Germans' defensive positions across the river at the Aisne upon their arrival on 13 September. These British were relentless and soon, they breached the position to create a new bridgehead.

“We were asked to win back the breach.” That was our order.

I took my men including the remnants of the 2nd Platoon under Unteroffizier Dieter to the task. We reached there in time to see the BEF already climbing into our positions. I gave the order to fight the enemy to the men. They jumped off their transport and began fighting with bayonets or shooting at the BEF troops who had rushed the position.

I jumped into the fray and used the borrowed Mauser 98 to shoot at the BEF. When it ran out of bullets, I took out my Luger and fired at the enemy while blowing my whistle to alert any others who may be within earshot. I don't why I bother to whistle for no one was actually listening at all. One of the BEF saw me as a potential and charged me with his bayonet but I grabbed hold of his rifle barrel and shot him with my Luger.

"Push them back. We must not let them through. “A soldier shouted at me and jumped in front of me. He took a bullet meant for me. I grabbed him when he fell and he was laughing.

"I would live, Hauptmann. But I am going back home." I looked at his wound and I can have agreed with him. He has been hit in the buttocks. "Please carry on with the war."

I send the man to the Infirmary but I told the doctor, I want him back as my personal aide. And bodyguard. But I forgot to ask his name. But my works were back with the others where I fortified the defenses against the BEF.

Every time I put up the fortifications, they came and pulled it down. I got the men to dig out more trenches along the ridge to have better coverage. The artillery had opened up and that might have slowed things down for the French.

"Unteroffizier Dieter, can you find the other officers?" I called the other when I saw him. He shook his head and I can understand that we were probably the only ones there.

"Unteroffizier Dieter, rouse the men to hold this line at whatever cost. The barrage would give us some time to organize but do it quick. We have to hold them back. If they breach more in, the line would be split into two. Is that understood?"

Unteroffizier Dieter nodded and I left for the other placement to prep the men up and hopefully find my officers. When I was walking there, a young recruit pulled at my leg holding onto his rifle.

"Hauptmann, I can do this. Trust me." I looked at his frightened face and I nodded. So the lad now knows this is the real war and not the glamour of wearing a uniform with a rifle. I patted him on the shoulder and smiled. I could hear him chattering and he corrected me.

"It’s the cold, Hauptmann. Nothing to worry about." I smiled again. But he was one of the many I have to motivate to climb that trench and shoot at the French.



Dieter Luther, Gefreiter


"Shoot the gun!" But the machine gun was not shooting. It was either jammed or overheated. This was the wrong time to happen for the British were hitting us hard. This was the third time I heard the whistle and then the shouting by the enemies. We got the guns firing and aimed at the British but they continued on with assault.

I ran to the machine gun post and saw them trying it going. It jammed again. I knew it was hopeless.

"Grab a rifle and fight them." I shouted at them to do what was needed. I grabbed a grenade stick I saw on the ground and pulled the pin. I threw it at the British and jumped down to the wet ground. The explosion came and I was up again to shoot at the next coming wave. The British soldier jumped to my trench and knifed one of the soldiers with his bayonet. I took out the nearest rifle to shoot him but the rifle won't fire. I lunged with it instead and he used his bayonet to block my attack. I pushed that off and swung in with the rifle butt to hit the soldier on the jaw. He fell back and I followed through with my bayonet, but he also had his cut on my left thigh.

"Aargh!" I jumped back and held my bleeding thigh. It was a flesh wound but it was bleeding badly. I grabbed my bandanna and tied it to the wound. I staggered back to the trench bank and rested my body there while I load the rifle.

"Unteroffizier, we need more ammo." The soldier was holding some ammo to be passed to his squad. I nodded and limped to the rear. I stopped a messenger to pass the message through. Then I stop a wagon to carry me to the Infirmary.
I saw the line of men laying there on the stretchers waiting for their turns or sitting under a tree. It was a depressing sight to looked at compared to the front line. I asked the driver to turn back so I can get back to fight instead of lying here.

"Unteroffizier", the Surgeon saw me on the wagon and my driver stopped. "Why are you not treated on that wound?"

"I am okay. I am going back to the line." But the Surgeon stopped me. He grabbed my leg and looked at the wound against my will. He administrates it while I sat on the wagon.

"Next time, don't come if you are not going to step in." The Surgeon took his tools and went back to his work in the tent.



Abel Lenger, . Surgeon

I opened the flap and went to my assigned table to resume my work. I just bandaged up the Unteroffizier who had a flesh wound. He was the one who brought in the Sergeant earlier which I failed to save. Then he was trying to play hero by not getting treated but I beat him to it. He would live, unlike his Sergeant.

"What we have here?"

"Chest and eye wound. May not live." I looked at the Nurse and she shook her head.

“When have you promote yourself to be the doctor?” I glared at her. She glared back and then handed me the scalpel

“I am not the Surgeon.” She made her point towards me.

"Move him then. Get me one which I can save." I pulled on my face mask and looked at my tools. The scalpel felt like an extension of my hand with the numerous incisions I had made since the war started. I saw the other tools and never questioned the hygiene of it. It does not matter whether it was used before and not sanitized. My role was to save lives and let the other doctors handle post-surgery infections. My work requires a split-second decision. Due to that, I have to save those which I know can be saved.

I would be jury, judge and savior.

Or executioner.

I was the God at that moment. An hour later, I was having a smoke at the rear of the tent. Smoking may not be sanctioned by God but it calmed my nerves. It was a better alternative to alcohol drink. It was then the nurse who was with me in the surgery joined me.

"I am Bella. I just joined from the Second Army."

"Abel. How do you do? Was that your first experience?"

“The surgery? Yes. I was a front line nurse and my exposure to the blood was there but in that volume spurting out.” I laughed at the nurse’s reply.

“You will get used to it. Just out of curiosity, why are you transferred here?”

“I insulted the the doctor there and was sent here.” Bella replied. I smiled for her who handed me the scalpel.

“Well, here is the end line. You either survive here or get sent back to Berlin.” I mocked her. “In a box.”

“I can handle that. Does it come with the Iron Cross?” Bella gave me a snide smile. I laughed and looked away. At the end of the shift, we were walking to a nearby quiet spot for a drink under the tree. She told me her story and I did it on mine. Our stories were never pleasant to hear and soon I was holding her. It was a nice feeling to hold a live body to one that was dead.

That was the first time I cried out my emotions since this war started.



Erich Kroner, Oberst

I got up from my bedding and pulled on my uniform. The personal aide of mine stirred in his sleep and I kicked him.

"Get up and leave quick." I want him out so I can do some planning works like how to win this breach. But my timing was getting bad as Oberst-lieutenant  Luther walked in.

"Don't you knock or is it like your salute?" The Oberst-lieutenant took his seat as I adjusted my uniform. My aide had grabbed his uniform and left in a hurry. There was nothing to hide on my affliction then. My leisure preference was known to the officers. There was no need to be discreet for the others have their own preferences.

"Herr Oberst, I am sorry to interrupt your sleep. But the General wants you to do it right on the breach. We must win; our win as the 1st Army. Do you understand?"

"Yes, Oberst-lieutenant  Luther. I do." I replied with sarcasm. I told myself that one day I would get the bastard and he would pay for his insolence.

"Pardon me but it was the General’s command. I am here to provide the command. Don’t take it personally from me.” The officer then looked at my bedding. I caught his eyes. He smiled.

“Oberst. I prefer to have a threesome. It’s more exciting." The officer did not wait for my reply for he had already left my tent. I cursed at the man for his intrusion into my personal life.

"Oberst-lieutenant  Luther, your days are marked." I muttered to myself. My lover and personal aide walked out from behind the curtains covering the front door. He did not say anything but left after putting the washbasin there. I stripped down and washed the much of the previous night off.

Then another an officer came rushing in, and he was excited when I was dressing.

"I am sorry, Oberst.” The officer apologized to my state of dressing.

“Speak!” I was annoyed at the second intrusion of that morning.

“General Erich von Falkenhayn would be taking over command, Herr Oberst. We have been given new orders to fight the French and BEF. Hold at all costs and reserves would be a move to capture the coastal ports. Once we secured those, we can launch a sea attack on the French coasts. We can cut off their reinforcements from England."

Another table plan by the High Command. Nevertheless, I hailed it as good news and also then my revenge will be exacted on my enemies including Oberst-lieutenant  Luther. I knew the newly appointed General in a dance ball at Berlin. We had a good time and knew his staff every well. Therefore, the influence of Oberst Erich Kroner has climbed higher.

Goodbye to you, Von Kluck.



Peter Weiner, Hauptmann


Race to the Sea they said, and I was beginning to do just that then but most times it was to the latrines. I was down with some food poisoning and the Medical have given me some medicines which did not help much.

“Hauptmann, we have held the British and French back here at Chemin des Dames, and now the line is to be extended to the coast? Are the High Command mad or we are cannon fodders?” The men under my command questioned the new order. That was the issue when you are getting up close to your men. They may take advantage of and questioned your actions.

“Looks like we are in for a long war than the one they had planned.” Another added on. I was to reply when I heard more opinions and comments were added on. I listened and kept quiet. Both sides were then racing to hold the ports so that the battleships can command the sea lanes. For us, we have entrenched ourselves down in these secure strongholds, we thought that maybe a break was in place for us. It was all temporary for we have to move forward.

The messenger came and told us that we were to move towards Antwerp for the Belgium Forces which we thought had been defeated had regrouped at Antwerp.

“Fuck the High Command.” My men complained but when the call came, they withdrew from the trenches from they had dug. They left it for the rear companies to take over. I overheard one soldier telling the other new replacement to keep it up as he spent quite some time making that bank worked.

“Don’t you let them BEF take over my garden?” The rest of us laughed. Another raised an interesting request.

"Hey, where is the outhouse?" One of the new guys asked, and the reply we gave him was better; "Do it and throw it over the side to the French. But make sure you button up first, or they may shoot your balls off."

It reminded me of my personal needs then. We were late to leave that day. Antwerp it was then, and we were packing the carts and wagon for the trip, but I stood there too looked at the trenches.

“Au revoir, my dugouts. May you keep the new guys safe.” I muttered.

During the ride, we saw the flying boxes over us acting as our forward scout. They called them airplanes but to mine were card boxes with an engine. The men cheered it for to them, the airplane provided them some respite in the war when those units bombed the enemy dugouts. Someone did say that these flying boxes above were like having an angel over them. I saw not many of them before the war, but there were the large balloons that looked a bloated sausage in the air. It was during training we encountered those. Unlike the balloons, the flying boxes can move easily and even shoot their guns at moving targets. That day, my men cheered on seeing the flying box, until one man took up his rifle to shoot at it.

“It’s the BEF!” The shooter called out before his rifle was pulled away.

"Stop that man. Is he crazy as he could be had shot at our flying man?" Some of the guys near the shooter had grabbed the rifle and pushed the man down.

“I was sure it was the BEF.” The shooter defended his shooting. The others just ignored him and marched on. Other than that exciting moment our trip was without any incidents.

Soon, we reached Antwerp.



Erich Kroner, Oberst

Antwerp, with its triple ring of fortifications spanning a circumference of more than 100 km was at the time considered an impregnable position to the French Army. Nevertheless, under the command of German General von Boseler, he did not share that thought.

“No fortress is impregnable.” He was given the task of capturing Antwerp where the French have a force of five divisions and 173 guns,

Like in Maubeuge before, we laid the city to dust with the use of heavy guns such as the powerful Big Bertha (a 420mm siege howitzer). We stood at the sides while the big guns roared with their projectiles. The task was to effectively put the forts out of commission. It was well written but the task was not that easy. For me, the wait was agonizing and took the Devil by the horns to exact other works while waiting. I did a tactical move on the Oberst-lieutenant  Luther for him to be assigned to Antwerp to oversee the battle under the new General staff. He was furious but the order came from the High Command. I then assigned him to 3rd Company with Hauptmann Weiner.




No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...