Sunday, February 16, 2020

1914 Chapter 9

9. The First Retreat


Peter Weiner, Hauptmann


The 9th French Army had us beaten then just when we thought we were gaining ground. I remember we held them back and our reinforcements were on the way, but the order came. The French soldiers have got their faster than ours; they came in on taxi's to withdraw the soldiers. That was what the messenger overhead in the discussion room.

We all had a good laugh when the messenger relates how the General reacted then; "What do you mean by a column of the taxi? Is that the parade at this time when we are at war?"

But he was proven wrong on the later. The French soldiers did arrive in a taxi. But ours were stretched over a long offensive line and now we need to retreat to consolidate.

Then the shock the news came; The British Expeditionary Forces are gaining ground with fresh troops and weapons.

We have been fighting for months then and the BEF came in full strength then. The British fresh to the conflict had crossed the Marne at Chângis, and reached it at Château-Thierry, and D'Esperey farther east. We were told to move to Lorraine to assist those companies there.

I gave instruction to move out and I asked if the 2nd Platoon can cover our withdrawal.



Dieter Luther, Gefreiter


The Hauptmann told me that he needed my men as we are experienced ones and he believed in me. He also told me that I will be promoted to Unteroffizier once we have settled down on the retreat.

I looked at the Hauptmann while other squads were packing to leave. I wanted to tell him he can bloody well fuck himself but I did not.

“I understand, Herr Hauptmann." That was my reply before I was stepped away. The Hauptmann told me that my other NCO, Unteroffizier (Corporal) Marcus Dern would take over 3rd Platoon to assist me.

“3rd Platoon has lost all its offices in the last fight and their strength is down to half.” The Unteroffizier would assume temporary command and cover the other side of the town so that I would not be outflanked on my retreat. I saluted him again and walked back to my men. I told them we are to hold the line until such time I would for them to retreat.

"Dieter, this is suicide." Of all the people to question me, it had to be Dietrich.

"Get into your cover and remember we fight for our Fatherland.” I watched while the men all crawled into their position to resume the fighting but Dietrich chooses not to move. I moved over to him and leaned down close to him.

"Do as you are ordered or I would shoot you here myself. Do you understand, Soldier?" Dietrich glared at me and then took up his rifle to get into position.

"Fire at will." I commanded. I took my position and also look for my French soldier’s enemies to shoot. While I was shooting, my mind drifted back to myself. I was becoming more like a stranger to my friends now. That day, I just told my friend to shoot or be shot because I outranked him. I did not ask him to listen to any logic in my request as a friend.

“There is a war going on, and I am an NCO now,” I muttered.

"Otto got shot!" That was Rudy shouting at me. He was next to Otto when it happened.

"Pull him to cover and continue with the shooting. That’s' an order." I told Rudy. He looked at me with a shock that I just ignored our friend who was shot. Well, I have more important matters to attend now, and they were the French Army.

"Dieter, its Otto." I heard Rudy but I ignored him as I lay cover fire for the retreating armies of the 3rd Company. Otto did not make it as the shot was at his chest. He died an hour later when we were called to retreat.

"Otto is dead." Rudy spoke up on the matter. He took Otto's body tag and passed it to me. "You may need it, acting Unteroffizier."

It was not only Rudy who brushed me aside but also Dietrich. I lost my place in the Wild Pack. But I cared not for I have my duties to perform.

"Spike the guns and then let’s move." I was the last to leave the building and also the last to say goodbye to Otto.



Erich Kroner,, Oberst

My company was withdrawing because they had no reinforcements as promised. The breach had caused us to then withdraw when two weeks ago we were the ones marching for Paris. I looked at the map and recount the last day’s event.

Manoury’s 6th Army 150,000 strong attacked our right flank of the German 1st Army, whose turn to meet the attack opened a 30-mile-gap between Kluck’s forces and Bulow’s 2nd Army. I saw it but not the High Command. Those imbeciles did not read my reports. And instead of acting on it, they allowed the British Expeditionary Force to act quickly and poured their strength into the gap. My companies tried to stem the breach and we held waiting for reinforcement, but soon, we lost out when the French soldiers got theirs as promised; a strong 6,000 army rushed by taxis' to the front.

"Herr Oberst, I come bearing news." I looked to see the man I disliked most to see now; Oberst-lieutenant  Luther Von Mathis. "We are to retreat to across the Aisne."

"Oberst-lieutenant  Luther Von Mathis, are you only good for delivering orders. But can you carry one out?

"I believed so. Herr Oberst." I looked at the officer who just replied to me. He thought I was a jester in the command line.

"Oberst-lieutenant  Luther Von Mathis, take this to my Hauptmann. Tell him to move the 3rd Company to Champagne. Cover our flanks when we do retreat." But the Oberst-lieutenant protested and I shut him off.; "Do as I say or I shall have your court-martial."

I knew why the the officer refused to act. He was to go to the front line and he dreaded it. 

"No, Oberst. The orders are to move to across the Aisne. I cannot countermand it myself. If you want to, please tell the General yourself." The Oberst-lieutenant walked out of my tent.

It was only later I knew why he could ignore my order.




Peter Weiner, Hauptmann


The men dug into the ridge while I watched the river in front of me. We were lucky to be there at the road level on top of the Chemin des Dames early before the French were there. That gave us time to set up the new defense line.

The ridge was made of chalk material and easy for us to work on. The nearby quarries also provided us materials for our fortifications and shelters. But the biggest advantage we have was the terrain. The area on the south where the French were coming will face a land with a steep gradient as high as 200 meters. We are like on the castle wall overlooking the land but the castle had more than walls; it’s got guns and bunkers too. My men were hard at it; doing what they were trained to do before. I looked at my new Unteroffizier as he directed the men.

It was then Sergeant Marcus came up to me.

"Hauptmann, we shall be ready for them." He was wiping his sweat off the face with the towel he was holding. He was then the new Sergeant and he was trying to assure me of his work. I liked Bern more as he was more approachable and we could talk for hours. I hardly deal with Marcus and most times, I could go direct to Dieter. Just then, I saw the French man circling down the path.

"Stop that man." I shouted. The sentries stopped him and brought him up to me.

"Who are you? And why do you come by here?" I asked the man when he in front of me. He was a middle-aged man and looked like a farmer.

"I lived down the road and this is my way home. Since you have no war yet, I am trying to get back home." I asked him to be searched for his papers and also for weapons. They found none of the later but his papers looked okay. I was going to let him go when I saw the Oberst walking towards me.

"Who is he?" The Oberst asked me. I had to brief him.

"Shoot the man. He is a spy." The Oberst told the sentries who led the man away.

"Hauptmann, you are to build defense lines and things like those should not be entertained. Just shoot them. Men or women."



Erich Kroner,, Oberst

I walked away after talking to Peter He was becoming more careless in the war. If only he knew how badly we were hit, he will be ruthless like me. The problem was that I had no one to tell me how to be ruthless. I had to learn it myself. Like that day, I was called to High Command to meet the Commander.

"Oberst Kroner, I am pleased that you could come. Unfortunately, the line is now fragile because of my marching towards Paris. But I heard you also did well on those orders. What was it like to be near to Paris when you had to retreat? Sad, is it not. But we are all serving a higher officer. He gave us the order and we all marched." I listened to the General while he spoke but he did not call me here to hear him made this speech. He continued while I stood there.

"Your the company would hold the new position until I say to leave. Am I clear on that? And I want you to be there with your men. Not behind the lines some twenty miles behind. Do I make myself clear?" The Genera made it clear to me and then I saw the Oberst-lieutenant  Luther Von Mathis walked in.

"Oberst-lieutenant  Luther, how many times must I tell you not to do courier works? You have messengers for that. You got an order, send one of them. Am I not right, Oberst?" The General was looking at me and I nodded. I saw the snide look on the Oberst-lieutenant  Luther.

"Yes, General. If we are all to be a messenger; no one would lead this war. Thank you, General for the advice."

“Then take the lead, Oberst.” I was told.



Dieter Luther, Gefreiter


"Shoot those guns and hit them hard." I shouted at the men to shoot from their advantageous position when the French soldiers assault the wall. I was running in between the fortifications encouraging them or when needed, I threaten them. I was getting used to it now.

I looked over the wall and I saw the French soldiers trying to dig in while we were shelling them from the top position. It was a win for us in the situation but the French soldiers were adamant about winning this battle. They have been pushed too long; back to almost Paris and now this was their breaking point if they win this battle. Every time they came near the ridge we pushed them back.

"Unteroffizier," I heard the call and I turned to face the man. It was Dietrich and he is looking at me. "There are some more body tags for you. I have pushed the body over the ridge. We needed the space to shoot."

He was holding a bunch of body tags for me. I took it from his hand and told him to get back into his position. He did as I stood behind him. Did I change that much? Was he who had changed more than me? It was only last month we were still talking. I tapped him on the shoulder to call him but his body jerked back towards me. I grabbed hold of him as he dropped onto my chest. The bullet had hit on his left cheek and into his brain. He was already dead.

God, I am losing friends almost daily then. I lowered his body and placed it on the ground.

"Let me throw him." The man at the fortification looked at me for my approval but I shook my head. I drag Dietrich back to the rear and left him there. I covered his face with the helmet and walked on. It’s not to going to make a difference for sooner someone would throw him over.

"Unteroffizier, help me." I looked down to see the Sergeant clutching his chest. "Carry me to the Infirmary."



Abel Lenger. Surgeon

"Herr Doctor, help my Sergeant please." I continued with my surgery while the man standing behind me kept on pleading. I found the bullet in my wounded patient and pulled it out. That done; I left the patient to my nurses to close up. I turned to look at the soldier standing there.

"Put your friend there. I would see him now." But the soldier stood there. Then he replied to me.

"It does not matter now. He is dead now." The soldier turned to walk out.

I shouted him that I am not responsible. The war is the culprit. I am just him; a player in the game.

“That was the the reality in this war; we are all pawns in the game. To be sent forward to die or come back victorious when the main pieces win the war.” I told the soldier. “You are all part of it.”

“And why do you heal us to die another day? Let us die.”

“Just the same way you fought this war. We are all soldiers.”



No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...