Sunday, February 23, 2020

Deep Heat II Chapter 11


11.

The place was an operations area, with six officers on duty at the computer consoles, and four others on the desk sorting the papers. There were weapons stacked near to them from Glock 17 to MP5 and a couple of Benelli shotguns. I was led by Derrick to the mezzanine floor area and usher into the office there. I found myself facing the Police Commissioner with three others. All of them were not in uniform. I saluted the Police Commissioner as my superior officer.

“At ease, DCI. As it’s now, you have stumbled on an important operation. I assumed by being here, you may have
 known too much or damn lucky in your works.” Police Commissioner George Wayne stared at me. “Either way, I am not too happy about it.”

“I am…” My defense was shot down by the Police Commissioner. He was known to be a nutcracker and held a reputation for being mean.

“Derrick here as you may know him saw you outside and tapped into your query on the plates. We had to bring you in before you disrupt my golfing session this afternoon.” The Commissioner motioned for me to sit and then introduced me to the others.

“This is Colonel Brian Tolland, SAS liaison and counterintelligence.” I looked to the officer with the thick mustache and straight back with the legs crossed. He looked like he was dressed for a Sunday stroll with the jacket over his shirt and dark pants with soft leather casual shoes. His haircut was typical military with the patch short above the forehead.

“Police Commissioner Barry Winslow.” That was more of the Commissioner’s looks; with the smart suit and the pipe in the mouth. I will say if he had on the frown on his face, he might be mistaken for Sherlock Holmes.

“Dieter Stock, Interpol Officer sent to assist us.” The German was bespectacled and reclining hairline, in the dark suit on the slim frame. He was taller than the other two officers.

“Derrick Langley, which you have met is an officer of ours working within his cover as the journalist.”

“As for you, lady.” The Police Commissioner did not address me as young was a polite gesture. “Your name and reputation precede your arrival here. We knew of your paternal connection to Sidney Madden, and your last role in the Selby/Cohen case. We did ask Derrick to contact you to see how much you knew which was not much, but you have access to Sidney’s gang.”

“What is this place? And the connection to the Assistant Police Constable?” I cut in.

“As expected of your character, we will come to that now. Robert was our informer. He turned informer soon after we had some evidence against him but he was assumed killed although the suicide looked better. We were surprised that you were assigned to the task and later removed. I can assure you it was not us who did that but someone else was concerned you are involved.”

“Who are we investigating?” I was throwing out the bait.

“We can’t disclose that now. However, since you are here, we will, however, need your works on another matter. I want you to investigate Sidney’s gang and their link to the Cohen. As what Shawn was doing before he got killed.”

“So Shawn was …”

“Shawn was from the Dover division and assigned to go undercover with the Yard. He took two years to build up the trust with Sidney.” Two fucking years when I was ignoring Sidney and working on my career. “We faked his records in the military and won over Sidney’s trust.”

“Shawn had a folder….” Derrick cut in.

“Derrick, we are leading the information to the DCI. Please do not interrupt.” The Police Commissioner stared at Derrick. It jolted me then that the folder meant may be one I received from Sidney.

“DCI Bernice, as from now you will report to me on any new development on the gangs. And whom they are working with. I need names. And if you to report in, just call Derrick. He will be your liaison officer.” I send back to my unit by Derrick who had remained quiet during the drive. It was near the end of the drive that Derrick voiced out.

“Shawn as you may know him. His real name was ….”

“Sean Michaels. I know.” I had cut in. It is an interrogation method to get upfront and personal.

“So he told you. He was my friend and worked on some assignments. It was sad he got killed. He was onto the Cohen when it all ended.” I recalled the car incident and it happened so fast.

“Give me something to work on.” Another of the methods I learned. Once we are connected, ask for more details.

“Your bike incident with the Patriarch. They are part of the Cohen family. The guy you send home with broken bones was Daniel Cohen’s young son, Simon Cohen. They are looking for your bike.”

“Let me work on Daniel Cohen and his link to the Patriarch. I can do it.” I told Derrick.

“No, you stayed out. I will handle it.” Derrick dismissed me and soon I reached my unit to find it empty and a farewell note. My bitch left me. I got then a call from Marvey.

“They smashed your bike. They are coming for you next.” Marvey told me.

“Who are they?”

“Cohen. They linked your bike to the accident with the younger Cohen.”

“Shit!” But I can’t think of any place to leave for. I called Derrick.

“I can’t assist you. It’s the direct order of the Police Commissioner.” With that Derrick hung up on me. I grabbed the bag with the guns and then some personal items. I needed a ride and could only think of one then. I stepped over to my neighbor who was an avid rider like me.

“Hey, Jones. Can I borrow your bike?” Jones was a manager of some company that held a garage of three bikes. I took his oldest and most reliable one in terms of testing. It was not built for speed but endurance. The bike was a Kawasaki Ninja 250 with casing removed and the bare bike was added on extra suspension with the exhaust raised higher. It was painted all black and suited my requirements. I took from the rear alley and then down the street.

I saw the pack of riders headed turning to my street. I knew trouble from my experiences. I turned off to the other street and rode hard. I had only a place to go to.

“Bernice, you are crazy to look me up,” Madge complained. “I am a frigging grandmother and how could I help you?”

However, she gave me an address to go to. It was a two-hour ride and half on dirt trails. Dirt was what I was keen on but during my stopover for petrol, I got the news on my unit.

“Just an hour ago, a pack of riders descended onto this unit and barraged it with gunshots. Later they stormed in and then the neighbor. Mr. Jones Howard was shot and killed in the incident. We have managed to trace the occupant of the unit to DCI Bernice Madden. The officer was involved in a shootout and car accident involving some notable names. DCI Cotton is not at home and assumed missing.”

I wanted to call Tabitha but held back. I rode on with tears down my cheeks.

Up to then, almost everyone I knew was impacted by the investigation and I have no leads to work on. The only name I could think of was Cohen.

Daniel Cohen. He was assumed untouchable.




No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...