Tuesday, February 4, 2020

1914 Chapter 5


5. The destruction of the Maubeuge Fort.


Peter Weiner, Hauptmann

It was the morning of 6th September 1914, when we got the orders to end the siege. I got the company to be readied for an onslaught on the crumbling fort which was under bombardment for over a week. I have briefed the platoon leaders and their specific orders. The bulge had sounded and we are moving forth to the Fort with the supporting fire by the Howitzers. It had crumbled sections of the wall then. Scores of men rushed the walls and into the crumbled gaps in between to hit the French soldiers. We were told that we are facing a depleted army but we came on strong resistance.

Out target was Fort Boussois, another fort near Maubeuge. It was a smaller fort but well-guarded by French soldiers. The fort was built into the hill like a massive dugout with earthworks on top and around it. It was to cushion from the barrage of our guns while the French guns were in their dugouts. There were rounded bunkers on the top of the fort with manned machine guns inside it.

"Sergeant Bern, move the platoon into position. I want the gate cleared for the main invasion." It was a narrow bridge that lined up to the gate. On the sides of the gates were the walls with openings for French positions machine guns to repel any invaders. The Skoda had damaged the section of the walls but it had not crumbled it. The 2nd The platoon was given the task to open the gate. I moved into position with the The squad under enemy fire and approached the main gate of the Fort. We made three attempts on the gates but we ended up losing four men.

Then some other squad brought a mortar and ammo. That gave us some firing power. While the mortars engaged the machine guns, we reached the gate and placed the set explosives on the gates. Then the hard part was to pull the wires back but we did it under some heavy fire.

“Who taught them how to build a fortress?” Otto cursed when he sought shelter after a log run from the gate. He had the wires attached to the plunger.

“Cleared the area!” I called out and handed it to the plunger to Sergeant.

"Fire in the Hole!" That was the loud voice of Sergeant Bern when he pushed the plunger. The gates blew open and as soon as the explosion sound cleared, the men were swarming in like their forefathers then attacking Roman’s forts... I was in with the first wave when we came under heavy fire from machine guns’ positions inside the fort.

"Give them some of our 'Boche' gifts." I was shouting the men for the slang they gave us. My men threw stick grenades at the machine gun nest until our own machine guns arrive. Soon we cleared the gate area and we proceeded into the fort's interior.

"Move the squad down to the guns and removed the gunners. But tried to save the guns and ammo. We may need them." I instructed the squads to go and search the corridors. I caught hold of a runner; 'Tell the artillery to stop. We are already in."

I drew out my Luger to shoot at the French soldier who was about to shoot the men at the gates. That felt good after the lull of the siege; it was a release of desperation on these opponents. It was not only the siege but the seeing of our friends died attacking the fortress made us angry. The Oberst was also harassing us on the progress.

“Erich Kroner; you are a bastard when you are not gathering glory for your pips.” I cursed at the Senior officer. He had been finding faults with the platoons' and their leaders. Morale has been affected by Oberst's behavior and there were some increased in desertion. The new order that today was a relieved to the men when they took up their Mauser while they awaited the whistle. It paid off for we were in the fortress that day. I ran into the gun blocks and saw my men exchanging fire with the French soldiers.

“The French are in there,” Otto muttered at my ears. “Can I have them for my next meal?” We were gaining ground but at a loss of more men. A ricochet bullet almost hit me on my right shoulder when I advanced in the corridor. I stopped to reload my Luger to shoot at more French soldiers.


Dieter Luther, Gefreiter


The squad was pinned down by the French soldiers at this turning of the corridor. I looked at the options available to me; they outnumbered us by two to one. They were in the well-covered position and hid behind covers when we threw in the stick grenades.

"Benny, help me here. What is behind your doorway?" Benny was leaning onto a doorway. He was trying to blend his body to the doorway to avoid the French bullets. Benny heard my order and examined the doorway. He saw the larch and unlatched the door. It opened into a chamber there. I followed suit to bump into Benny's back.

"What the frag...."

It was an ammunition storage area with all the bombs that fed the French guns. Those guns, in turn, had taken some of our friends. Then it was payback time. We decided to destroy the arsenal. More to it, we could take a few more French soldiers.

"Frag the room and get out fast." I told Benny and he held me back.

"If we drop the grenade here, we would blow ourselves up even before we can make it out of this corridor." I looked at the man and nodded.

"Is there a the way we can slow this down or even if the French soldiers come in, they can't stop it?" But Benny is fast to react. He has taken out his box of matches and cigarettes. He uncapped a cannon projectile and poured out the contents on the floor. He lighted a cigarette and up and placed it at the edge of the spilled over gunfighter.

"We got maybe half a minute. So let’s move but someone has to prevent them from stopping this fire in the initial seconds." But Benny had another idea. He pushed out some projectiles and rolled them out. He rolled it towards the French soldiers and fire at them. They did not explode but the French soldiers are hiding behind their cover with some retreated down the corridor. I ran out and back to the man. I had to move the men down the corridor but we maintained fire on the French soldiers from the end of the corridor. I count the seconds and hope I made the correct decision.

"Move the squad out, I will follow suit." But Benny stayed behind. He nodded at me that he is staying and firing his Mauser. The French soldiers tried to access the ammo storage room but we prevented them. Then we saw the smoke and I ran for the stairs to get out of the place. I did not turn to see if Benny had followed and the bastard did not. He was still there when the explosion happened. I was thrown out the entrance to the block by the explosion. I suffered some bruises and minor burns but the building block was a big hole where the explosion happened. The squad and others are rushing in now to mopped the surviving French soldiers.

"Benny..." but I blacked out.


Peter Weiner Hauptmann

I saw the the explosion from the other block. I know it was connected and would foresee the explosion changing the tide of the battle. I shouted the men to take advantage of the explosion and moved in fast.

"Use your grenades. Don't let them recover." The squads ran in and more explosions came from the men. We were winning. I checked my Luger and made sure it was loaded before I joined the men.

"Herr Hauptmann." I stopped to see who has addressed me.

"Herr Oberst. I am surprised to see you here. We are trying to get in and cleared the block of the French soldiers." The Oberst was accompanied by a squad of men around him. I trust he has taken them as bodyguards. I was surprised the Oberst will show up then and was carrying a Mauser himself like an Infantry soldier.

"I am here to check on the progress. I see you done well. Good, now please move your Platoons out. I am moving Lieutenant Muller's platoon to take over. Your new orders are to take on Fort Cerfontaine on the other side. It’s a stalemate there now."

I wanted to protest but the Oberst is still the Commanding Officer. He would be taking over the glory soon after they cleared the Fort. I tucked back my Luger and turned my back on the Fort. I lost men there and now someone is coming over to take over the works. I pulled my men to rest that evening and told we will be relieving the others at Cerfontaine. They grumbled but they followed my orders.


Erich Kroner, Oberst

I saw the Hauptmann walking back to the lines with a dejected look but he would take orders as expected of him. I would have to clear the mess here and hunt the General Fournier who was reported to be here. I would be his opposite number to accept his surrender or death.







"Sergeant, move the men up into the building. I want to see them occupying every corner and we would hold any officers who choose to surrender." I send the men up the stairs and into the corridors while more shots and explosions were heard. Lieutenant Marcel was laying on his side at the stairs; dead by gunshots and he won't be joining me on the rostrum when they announced the surrender.


Dieter Luther, Gefreiter


I woke up in a living room with ten others who were wounded; some of them were bandaged while some were just lying there with their hands on the wounds. There were bloodstains everywhere form the flooring to the walls. The orderlies were moving about with the stretchers carrying the wounded and the dead should they failed to save the person. We were awaiting our turns for the doctors or medic orderlies to tend to us. I pulled my body up and noticed my burns on my exposed hands but they will heal. I got worse than this in the bakery and all you need is some soothing balm and some strips of cloths. I remembered in my kit there was some cream I can use. It was my face cream and I applied it on the burns. I wrapped it up with some torn strips of cloth and held myself up with the Mauser. I limped out and found my squad sitting outside the house. Rudy saw me first and ran over to assist me.

"Benny?" I called out and saw Rudy shook his head. He later pointed to Dietrich. I looked at the other man and saw him shaking his head.

"The bastard... He is one stupid bastard. Why did he do it?" I cried out loud and sank to my knees. Benny is my closest friend here. Now he is dead.

"Dieter" We are on the first name during the breaks and this was one of those breaks. "He wanted to get out. He had enough of this war. He told me but he hung back because of two things; you and the fear of being shot at by his own friends. He chose the former I think because he reckons by saving you, he has done his duty."

I grabbed Dietrich coat and pulled him to me.

"You lied. He did it because he wants to save the whole squad. He loves all of you and not me alone. Above all, he is doing not want to see any of you die here today. He is a stupid bastard. He always was." I let go of the man's coat and walked to a corner of my own. I sat down and cried. I saw the bottle handed to me and took it. I took a long swing at it and poured the rest on my hands. It hurts like hell but I am now able to cry in the true pain of losing my friend. I was not ashamed of my tears for him. It was from my friend.


Peter Weiner, Hauptmann

We are in the suburbs of Le Pont-Allant where I checked on my men resting after the battle this afternoon. It was then I stumbled on the 2nd Platoon and saw the emotional scene. I stood for a while to see the whole scene played out it acts before I walked in. I tapped the Sergeant's shoulder and passed him some bottles of wine I acquired from a farmer. I was given a crate in exchange for some food rations. I took out one bottle and walked to Gefreiter who was sitting in the corner. I passed him the bottle and he took it without looking at me. I would let him cry his pain out with the bottle of wine from the French cellar. Later I pulled up the Sergeants and brief them on tomorrow's battle. I want them all rested today so we can be a team tomorrow again.

I approached a small farmer’s home nearby. It was empty but the bare furnishings were there. I sought out a small room on the back and sat in the corner by myself. The room was empty except for a small chair. And it was getting dark. It must have been a boy's room, as I could see many drawings on the wall in the room. It was about a boy’s adventure with the role game they played. The chasing and then the holding of the weapons. It was a child’s fantasy to be in a battle.
I spied a leather ball in the darker corner and picked it. I bounced it on my hands. It was almost six months since I kicked a ball in the game. We used to play against the other companies and the wager was the beer served at the end of the game. We lost most of our games but we enjoyed the during game fights with fists. It never lasted long but it bonds us as one regiment.

The bastard Erich never played team games. He was more of a long-distance runner and his usual game of marksmanship. He was a single-player and when he wins, he does it for himself. Among all the officers, he was one of those few who are left out in our leisure activities. The aristocrats are another group who mixed among themselves, but we do challenge them to some games like fencing. Naturally, we lost most of the games but when it’s come to physical fights, they are hardly a match for us brawlers.

I heard than some footsteps and as a precaution, I pulled out my Luger. It was Sergeant Bern walked into my personal space carrying a bottle.

"Herr Hauptmann, can I share this with you? I found it in the kitchen."

I nodded and both of us shared the bottle in silence that night. We lost some good friends in the last few days. More so, on that day's assault.



No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...