Friday, February 14, 2020

1914 Chapter 8

8. The Gap


Peter Weiner, Hauptmann


We occupied at a small village north of Noyon, and Gefreiter has rejoined the men. He briefs me on the incident and I ruled out any punishment on him. I told the men to billet down once they have set their defenses. The village lies on top of a small hill and overlooking the surrounding plains and valleys. It was a strategic position, and more to it the access road to the village was via a sharp bend for about two hundred feet from the first house. I placed a machine gun next to it to cover the entry. The next place to place the machine gun was at the third house which has a vantage view of the valley below and the start of the road. Then I placed four of my snipers at the houses facing the plains on both sides. The rest of the platoons were then given the option to select their own corners.

There was a Church in the village in which I place two lookouts with long viewing glasses at the bell tower. I took my station at the nearby tavern and sat down to my first home-cooked meal in months. It was by the priest there.

"Can I join you?" I looked across to see an old man sitting there. I waved to him to sit down. He did with a glass and a bottle of wine. He also bought his own bread and some olive oil. He is dressed in a simple farmer dressing but he also had a bandaged forehead.

"Accident?" I pointed to his head. The older man nodded.

"Ernest Fredricks, formerly of Dresden; now I am French for over twenty years. I came over in 1896 and never went back. This," He points to his forehead; "was how your soldier did to me last week?"

"Last week? You mean you saw the soldiers here." But the older man shook his head.

"I saw one only and he is a deserter. He hit me for my bottle of wine. If he had asked me, I would have given him. If he had introduced, I would have sheltered him as he is German. But he kicked and pushed me down. Is that what happened to German now since I left?" The older man took a sip of his wine.

"No, Pop. Only some of us are like that. We are still the same people as we were in your time. Did you get the German soldier 's name?" I asked for politeness.

"Yes, I have." The older man reached into his pocket and gave me a name tag. "He died after we killed him. I am here to warn you that you are not wanted, and if there is a fight, they would have killed your men too." He leaned over to whispered to me. "They are armed with guns too."

I nodded and went back to my meal. We did not speak anymore from then. I finished my meal and left the table. I avoided looking at the people sitting around me. I drew my breath on stepping out into the open. Then I walked towards the men who are sitting by the roadside in the village. I brief the men and we withdraw in stages from the village. We did with the village folks looking at us but no one came forth to harass us.

We took to the road outside the village at the bend and billeted there. The next morning, we saw the older man's body on the ground at the first house with the placard on his chest; "Traitor."

"Gefreiter, I want the whole village search." We did search the village but we could not find anybody around. They seem to have disappeared last night. They did find more evidence that German soldiers were here before from the leftover uniforms and personal effects.

"Gefreiter, move the men back here. We would occupy the village now since its empty."



Dieter Luther, Gefreiter

I saw the column of the French Army marching towards us from Noyon. I ran to the Hauptmann at the Tavern. But he was already told by the others.

"Prepare to move out. We would withdraw back to Command now. We are being outflanked by the French soldiers." Just as he gave the order we came under fire from the houses. A member of my platoon came running in.

"We are being shot at by the villagers. They are pinning us down."

Damned villagers have returned. I need to get the platoon out.

'Throw the grenades to shake them off. Prepare to evacuate. We would meet at the forest edge. It's every man to himself." I ran to the machine gun squad and asked them to spike the gun before leaving. Then I went back to the Hauptmann.

"We can make it five men per team at twenty paces space." But while I was talking, the men have already started retreating in their own initiatives. Hauptmann looked at me and he signaled me to go. I know what he meant and I left with the men under the firing cover of the men who stayed back. But I ran no further than five hundred paces before I reached the retreating line of men.

"Form a line and provide cover fire for those who are leaving now." Some men followed my command but the others kept on running. Dietrich was with me then and he grabbed the fleeing men to do the same.

“Form a second line.” I called out. We fire at the possible windows which have French soldiers shooting and hope to hit the person. More of the soldiers were retreating were able to run faster and with less chance of getting shot. I gave chase and stopped them.

“Get back to your line or I will shoot you here.” I grabbed a few more to move back two hundred paces and they formed a line. They provided the fire cover until the others reached the tree line. There they dug in and I did the same. In the end, I saw the Hauptmann running with bullets whizzing past him.

He slides next to me and breathe a sigh of relief.

"How many?" Hauptmann asked and I told him.

"Thirty of us." So we are down to two-third of our strength and no machine guns.

"Let’s go. We got to report back."



Erich Kroner, Oberst

Damned, the French soldiers, they had hit us at the gap in between the defense lines but we were sending reinforcements to hold it or win back what we lost.

The 3rd The company was sent forward to breach the gap. I don't care how they will do it but the task was monumental. The idiot Hauptmann came back to me with the update which I already know.

“Oberst, we are under fire. We may be caught by them or we are too far in front.” The imbecile does not know that we knew already. Then he would be at the forefront of the action. If he wins, I will win.

"Oberst, I trust you have seen the new order. " I looked up to see the Oberst-lieutenant  Luther Von Mathis. I nodded at his question.

"Oberst, if...." I shouted back at him when he wanted to question my command.

"Does the rank on my shoulder means nothing to you in this war, Oberst-lieutenant  Luther Von Mathis?" The junior officer bowed to me, and then he saluted me.

"I am sorry, Oberst. I forgot my training from the Academy. Back to my request here...." I interrupted the officer from his statement.

"The 3rd The company would march immediately, to be followed by the other companies. You can tell that to the General." I dismissed the Oberst-lieutenant. He left with a raging expression.



Abel Lenger, Surgeon

The orderlies were packing the medical supplies onto the trucks and wagons to be taken to the new Front. I looked at the nurses as they prepared themselves. As I was to pack my bag, two soldiers came rushing in carrying their friend who is wounded.

"Herr Doctor, help him please." I motioned to the men to lay his friend by the table. He was shot in the chest and shoulder but those were not fatal wounds.

"Bring me the equipment", I called out but the nurses were not moving. I stared at them and they still would not move. I reached for the soldier's rifle and point it at the nurses. "Do it or I would shoot all of you. Then you can join this soldier."

They moved that time and I began to operate on the soldier. I probably saved another life and annoyed a dozen others. But the next time, I will be wearing a pistol on me at all times. Then I don't have to borrow any.

The nurses carted the wounded man out after the surgery. I cleaned up and then rejoined the others. I noticed that that has left me alone with some orderlies, with the last wagon holding the nurses who assisted me in the surgery. I looked at the two orderlies standing there.

“We have to dismantle the tent. Then we can move.” The orderly told me. “We will get a ride from the others.”

We got our ride soon in a kitchen wagon.



Peter Weiner, Hauptmann

I organized the men to move into the houses in the town which we set up as the defense points. The Aerial Air report to the High Command told us the French soldiers were to penetrate the flanks. If they do that, we will be surrounded.

That cannot be allowed, and I have just withdrawn from one battle recently to see myself doing another so soon. We were up against the 6th French Army.

“It’s madness, Hauptmann.” The men cried out. We were only part of the company size.

“We are the 1st Guards. We will do our best. The reinforcements promised by the High Command should arrive soon.” It was a loud call and I could not substantiate it.  

"Sergeant, who occupies that building facing the road to the town?" I called out.

"2nd Platoon, Hauptmann. They are under Hans Bern; good man to have on the front." I nodded at the comment but I was worried about the condition of the platoon whose morale was affected by the earlier retreat. I ran over there to be greeted by Gefreiter who was manning the ground floor.

"Where is your Sergeant?" I can see they have got a new Maxim machine gun to replace the one they lost in the last retreat.

"He is upstairs, Hauptmann. I am overseeing the men at this level." He pointed to me the ten men under his command here. I also noticed some wires were being trailed there from behind us.

"Those are the bombs I believed planted by you?" I pointed to the wires.

"Yes, on our withdrawal... If we withdraw, Hauptmann; would detonate the building to block the road next to it. That would stop their armored vehicles." He knew his task and I was proud to have him with me.

"Danke", I replied. He saluted me and I replied accordingly with my salute. I ran next to check on the other squads and was satisfied with the preparation.

Then we waited for them to come; the French or the BEF as we were advised may be joining the French.

But the ones to be shown on our doorsteps was the bombardment. The French soldiers opened up with their barrage and its shelling on the buildings. I wanted to call a retreat to the forest but the message came from High Command;

“Do not retreat.” Damn orders were killing my men but I can’t disobey it. I could see the shells taking chunks of building off their structures with men of mine. When one of those explosives impacted on flesh and blood, there was not much to pick up. The veterans told us that the soul leaves the body then and maybe they watched the physical body disintegrated. It was inspiring for the young recruits. Well, not all. Some puked on the tale.

That was the point of laughter for the veterans then.


Erich Kroner, Oberst

I looked at the map and then back at the table which showed the movement of my troops. They were in the front to face the oncoming French Army and there was nothing I can do. Orders were given to cover the gap by my troops until they can be reinforced by the companies but which ones. There were no replies.

"Do you have the air reports?" Our planes are flying recon on the area and they are supposed to give us some latest updates. My adjutant shook his head which means I was in the blind there.

"Are our artillery moving there?" The same responses came from the junior officer.

"Is that a no reply or you do not know? Damned you, get me some answers." I have lost Paris because of some fools forgetting to close the back door. Then it was my role to clear the mess for them.



Dieter Luther, Gefreiter


This was crazy while I held my head down with the falling shells creating a ruckus all around me. So far our building had been spared but we were deaf with the bombing all around us. I then felt a tug on my sleeve and I looked up to see the young recruit pulling it. He was pointing to the road and I got up to look.

"Oh my God! They are coming." I saw the column of French soldiers running along the road towards us.

"Machine Gun, open up." But my gunners were still cowering their heads on their knees. I ran over and kicked at the men. "Shoot the gun or I would shoot you."

That took the scare out of them and they loaded the gun to shoot. The machine gun was a deadly weapon when seen up close when they spewed out the bullets at a faster rate than a hand could do. They laid the bullets so close to each other in their flight that when you get hit, it was not by one bullet but several bullets at seconds apart.

The French soldiers jumped for cover on seeing their friends getting shot as that was the sensible thing to do then. If you choose to charge, you are next to die. It’s not like charging a rifleman with seconds of delay from one shot to the next.

"Move the range to hold them down. Don't just fire at one spot." I shouted to the gunners. I looked at my other men who are now shooting from behind their cover. At least they know what was to be done. "Shoot when you see a target. Shoot to hurt and there is no prize for accuracy. But shoot at where it may hurt."

Then I saw the young recruit shooting with his hands above his head. He is shooting blind as he does not want to raise his head to see where he is shooting. I kicked at him in the chest.

"Get up there and shoot like a soldier." He looked at me and then he got up to shoot.

I walked over to the next spot to check on the situation. We were holding them back and the bombardment had ceased. That was a relief and then we were fighting like real men.

"Gefreiter, the Sergeant is dead." I looked at the soldier who brought me the news. So Han was dead after so many battles. I nodded to the soldier and asked him to get back to his position. I took up my rifle and followed him up. The men there need my guidance like below.

"Shoot, you fool. Do you think the French soldiers would give you time to bury him and then resume the battle?" I was right, they needed my guidance. I walked over to the dead NCO and took his body tag.

"Reach in peace, Sergeant."



Abel Langer

"Herr Doctor, we found this on the patient." I looked at the large wads of French Francs held by the Nurse for me to see.

"Is he French?" I asked and she shook her head.

"Well, is he dead?" She nodded her head.

"Then keep it for yourself. When this war is over, use it to but a farm near here and stayed here." But the nurse was not amused at my words. "So you want me to keep it then?"

But she did not answer. So I grabbed the money and went to the dead man's body. I stuffed the money back into his uniform and walked away. Maybe some idiot would find the use for it as my nurse does not know how to.

"Herr Doctor, can I take that money?" I looked at the Orderlies who asked me.

"Only if you give him a proper burial." The man nodded and ran to collect his bounty. I passed the earlier Nurse who asked me for the money. "That man is getting paid to do a proper burial. So you can help him and get a share too. The next patient won't pay for your services."

She ran after the Orderlies while I attended to the next patient. He was shot in the chest and may die too. The chest shot was easy for it was the biggest anatomy to hit and most times the shot may hit a major organ. Then it was imminent death.

“Am I going to die?” The wounded man asked me. .I looked into his eyes and smiled.

"Do you have any francs with you? We can do a better job if you do." He nodded and I laughed. If only he knows what I really meant but I saved him that day. He also gets to keep his francs.

The next day, I saw his body outside. He was dead from organ failure. It was internal bleeding I missed.


No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...