Wednesday, February 12, 2020

1914 Chapter 7

7.


The battle of Marne


Abel Lenger. Surgeon

It’s there not any sanity in this war? I stood to question the sanity of the people who started the war. I heard from the survivors in my medical tent of new plans by the top-ranking officers. They wanted to invade Paris.

"The French are retreating." I heard the roars and shouts of the men when they thought that Paris within sight is Paris to be overrun. But I wanted to tell them that the cornered animal is more dangerous than a roaming one. I shared a drink with an injured officer who has the misfortune of being shot in the left thigh by a stray bullet fired from nowhere.

"General von Kluck disobey orders from its own headquarters to double back and support General von Bulow’s 2nd Army. The former treasured Paris and forget the strategy of protecting their own. The General is not keen to be second last to the other anymore. Von Kluck now marched in pursuit of the retreating French 5th Army, under General Charles Lanrezac, across the Marne River."

The fool for the coveted prize of Paris with the sacrifice of thousands or maybe million if we give him them. I thanked the officer for sharing with me the news. I took leave of him to let him rest. Once I was outside, I took my box of cigarettes to take a smoke. As the match light up my stick, I noticed in the far corner is the other team of surgeons trying to clear the backlog of cases. As one was carried in, there may one carried out for the burial detail. There was absolute madness there, and I saw one doctor came out for a breath of air.

“Hello,” I called out.

“Oh, hello. You were on the previous shift.” The doctor looked at me. “Was it as bad as now?”

“When was it ever quiet and serene here?” I replied with a tinge of sarcasm.

“Maybe when we reached Paris.” The doctor smiled. “I hope they don’t bomb it like Marne.”

The doctor then did some stretching and movements to loosen his limbs before going back in to continue his works. I thought of the conversation with the other officer on the General's plans. It was all the same. They wanted to reach Paris at any cost. I felt the agitation and wanted to bring them here to see their works being done in real life. I then shouted into the dark night with Marne River as my witness: "Lie on my surgical table and I would show you their pain."



Dieter Luther, Gefreiter

I sat down on the tree base and released the load from my back. I was sitting with two other new recruits from Munich who just joined us. It was my job to teach them how to stay alive longer. They were cousins and happened to be in the same squad; Helmut and Henry.

Both were blond and probably just turned twenty, but they were a cheerful pair. They are ever joking on the French for they have yet to see the hostile one upfront in the war except for the ones they passed by dead during the march.

"Henry did you see the French whore this morning? She is smiling as if we are visitors to her village. She may not know it but we don't need to pay them for a fuck now. We take what ours now." They both laughed at the silly joke. I would have cautioned them but I thought it was better I kept my mouth shut.

All the men in the world given the current situation would make fun of something on the enemies. The popular topic would be on their women. I did not see Dietrich coming at them as we might have missed him sitting at the nearby tree. Dietrich used his rifle stock to slammed it on Henry's face. He was about to hit Helmut when I stopped him.

"Dietrich, stop it. We are not fighting among ourselves now. They are sorry." I looked at my friend who was now holding on his action when I stood between him and the cousins.

"Whores! All you think about is every woman is a whore. If that so, your mother is one. You are a whore's son." Dietrich was upset and I knew why. He was still missing his sister. Marja and above all, he had a French \wife but she died a year after their marriage. She was killed in an accident in the working place.


"They know now. Go to have your meal there. I would reprimand them." I watched as Dietrich walked away with his shoulders drawn down.

I looked at Henry and told him to report to the Infirmary. I then looked at Helmut.

"Make it known to you and your cousin. The French soldiers are like us but the only difference is they are losing the war now. But if you reversed the situation, and this is Munich, you would not want your sister to be treated that way." But Helmut's reaction was expected.

"The bastard hurt my cousin and he would pay for it." These young men are all hot-headed and I slapped him hard across the face.

"That bastard saved my life before and he may just do it for you too. If you hurt him, he may just kill you or forget that you are German when it comes to saving your life. So be respectful of the elders here. Do I make myself clear?" I looked at the young man's face. He nodded and then he added more words to his understanding.

"Gefreiter, I cannot be sure of my marksmanship." He threatened in his words. I really wanted to slap him again, but I know that would not work now. So I took up my load and walked back to my old friends. For once, I wanted to be near the ones who would save me in the battle and not shoot me in the back.

"I am sorry, Dieter. I lost my head on seeing him called them whores." I looked at Dietrich who is now nursing his bottle water like cognac.

"Don't be, my friend. We would let the French soldiers do the honor when we go to battle. He may die by their bullets or their bayonet. I am putting them to do point in the next patrol."

"Dieter, you are a bastard," Dietrich said to me smiling.

"I know but someone had to be among us to do point." I smiled and unpacked my meal. It is either them or us who would do point and the casualty rate is the highest in patrol.



Peter Weiner, Hauptmann

"Hauptmann, I want you to lead a patrol to locate the 2nd Army over here. I need to know their exact location so that we can bridge the gap between our lines. I do not want the French soldiers to outflank us or find a weak line in our lines." I listened to the Oberst as he gave us the needed briefing. I looked down at the map on the table as I can see we are advancing towards Paris.

In fact, we were about 30 miles northeast of Paris and I saw across the map are the assumed last known position of the 2nd Army is a distance to the eastern side and behind us in the advancement. Now I can see why the Oberst is concerned about being outflanked by the French soldiers.

"We have the French soldiers running like wild ducks now. Our orders are to push for Paris as given by General von Kluck. Why do you send a detachment to the rear for?" We all looked at the Oberst-lieutenant  Keiter who was unkind to join us here at the briefing unannounced. He had then arrived and heard the order.

"Yes, Oberst-lieutenant . I know the General's order but I am just doing my recon to ensure that I am not unprepared for any eventualities." The Oberst reply was a clear insult to the General's ability to plan his battle plans. The Oberst-lieutenant took offense and step back from the table.

"I must be making my report back to the General. Thank you, Gentlemen. Oberst." The Oberst-lieutenant  saluted the senior officer before leaving. We can hear his land vehicle moving off and the Oberst then remarked on the departure.

"I was wondering how long would he stay here. Bloody bootlicker. Now Hauptmann, take a patrol out and avoid any unnecessary contact. Report back to me." I saluted the Oberst and took my leave. The Oberst can be a glory hunter but he does sometimes display good strategy in his planning. As I was walking back to my platoons, the Oberst came running out.

"Hauptmann, I need a word with you." The officer soon caught up with me. "In the area of your patrol, there is a place I want you to go over. It’s a convent and I have a letter for you to give to the Mother Superior." The Oberst hands over to me the letter. "Pass it to her; that is all I asked."

I nodded and kept the letter in my jacket.



Dieter Luther, Gefreiter

"I understand, Hauptmann." I saluted the officer and walked back to my squad. We numbered twenty of us then and the cousins are back except one of them has his head bandaged but he can still shoot. We were joining another platoon of over twenty-five men on the patrol.

"We are going on a recon patrol with the other platoon. Ours would be the heavy hitters. So I need two machine guns and ammo, plus each man would carry six stick of grenades." I have sensed the men's concern as it’s not something ordinary to carrying so many ammo.

"I also want you all to remove all non-essentials from your load." Two four-man squads were formed to carry the Maxim 08 Machine gun, while we all carried the spare ammo. The other platoon was all carrying their basic weapons.

The next day we were taken by the trucks to go east to near the town of Noyon, along the River Oise. We were all dropped off next to a flat valley with rows of grapevines.

"This is as far as the trucks would take us. They are needed back at the front line and we would proceed on foot here. If we are lucky, we would meet up with the 2nd Army or fight with some French soldiers or BEF." Hauptmann gave us our briefing and I took it back to my platoon. We would march to the rear of the other platoon and in the event of a fight, we would be their support. It would also give us time to set up the Maxim for firing.

"Hauptmann, I sighted a winery down at the valley. Can we do a recon there?" I asked of the officer and he agreed to a five-man squad. I selected Dietrich and three others to go with me.

The winery consists of a farmhouse and the winery house next to it. As we walked through the vines yard, we noticed some men were working at the winery. It could be a family member as this was a small winery. When we approached the place, one of the men saw us coming and warned the others. They all ran to the house and the doors can be heard locking. I signaled the men to hold back on reaching the winery yard and spread out. It’s a precaution as I do not want to shot at or ambushed by these Frenchman.

"We come in peace. Can we talk?" I shouted in German as I am not sure how to phrase the words in French. It was then one of my men who just joined us some days back spoke it in French. His name was Jean and he hardly speaks.

The door to the house open up and an old man came out. He was unarmed and I signaled Jean to come with me.

"Tell him we just want some information on any German soldiers here." Jean translated and I listen from what words of French I could be picked up.

"He said he not seen any. He asked if we are deserters." I looked at Jean and shook my head. The old man then spoke more excited and Ben asked him to slow down so he can translate.

"He did encounter some deserters from both sides. That was why they ran to hide as these deserters shoot at them. And steal their food." Jean spoke to me about what the man said.

"Did he kill them? The Germans?" I asked Jean to translate. When Jean asked the man, he shook his head.

"Tell him not to lie to me. I know he killed them. That is our bread bag he has to hang on the porch. It’s a standard-issue of the German Army. No deserter would leave that behind as he holds his food there." I looked at the man and he looks nervous. Jean asked him back and he shook his head. Then the older man panicked and reached for his back. I shot him when he pulled out a Luger. Once I have shot the older man, the house rang out with shots with some bullets hitting Ben in the chest and legs. I have jumped to the ground for cover and raised my rifle to shoot at the house. My men at the rear of seeing the firefight have joined in with their guns.

I pulled out two grenades stick and lobbed it into the house. I held my head down with my hand when the explosions came. Then I raised my rifle and ran to the house. The door was blown in by the explosion and there was a big hole by the side too. I walked in with my rifle at my shoulder. I saw the injured men in the house and I don't think they want to fight anymore. Dietrich was to join me and he also scanned the room for any potential danger.

"Jean is dead." I nodded to his words. I knew Jean was dead. Anyone who takes that many bullets would be. I went over to the injured man and check on his wounds. He won't make it past the night and I also noticed he carry a Gewehr 98 with him. I took up the rifle and point it at him

"For Jean." I shot him.


Peter Weiner, Hauptmann

I heard the shots and explosion when we were marching down the road. It was then I saw the billowing dust in the distance coming towards us. I signaled the men to hide in the nearby ditch and set up the Maxim. It could be a farmer truck or an advanced motorized convoy of which side I have yet to determine.

Soon, I had a a better view of the trucks. It was those rare armored vehicles but that one was French-built, unlike the Minerva which was used by the Belgian. It was actually a truck but modified with an armored turret and mounted with a Vicker machine gun. There were four of them and it’s probably a recon patrol like theirs.

"Take them down. They cannot be allowed to escape or they would report our positions." When the vehicles came passing us the men lobbied their grenades and pressed on with the machines guns or rifles. It was not a planned ambush but a frenzied firefight while the men shoot without realizing the status of the enemy. I had to call them to halt after a few minutes and the result was the charred or bullet-riddled vehicles. The French soldiers were seen some slumped over the turret or through the side openings. I saw the men approached the vehicles to loot it.

“Hey, I got a watch.” One of the looters called out. I ignored them and marched on. I saw the NCOs calling the men to get back in line.

"Let us move on." I looked on while the men marched past the carnage which they had taken part in. As I walked past it, I saw the rank on the sleeve of the dead officer who now lies hanging over the turret of the second vehicle. I took my hand in salute to the fallen officer.

"Why do you salute, Hauptmann?" I looked at the soldier who then stood by me. "He is French and we are at war. They killed my brother last week and I would kill them all."

I wanted to reply but I decided that this younger man may not need to be told of my action. I just ignored him and walked on but I turn my back to see the man after a few feet. The young man whom I left behind took up his bayonet and stabbed the dead officer. He trod up to me and "for my brother. That is my salute to them."

"Anger cannot be dishonest*; I believe you now, Marcus. You spoke true then and I see it now with my own eyes. The anger in the war can make us killers with a vent for anger. If without anger, they would not know how to kill without remorse. " I said to myself as I walked on the road.

*Marcus Aurelis.

"Welcome to the war, Hauptmann." I looked to look at the veteran who replied to my words. He smiled and pat his neckline which hangs the name tags of soldiers. I was told by his friend; he takes the name tag of the dead enemies so he can have shown to his dead friend's wife how many lives he took.



Erich Kroner, Oberst

"Champagne, it’s splendid." My finger trailed the River Seine to Paris on the map and then tapped at the city. A short distance is shown on the map but a long journey would be for us on the ground.

I like the city and the wine. They are both beautiful and classy. But in this war, I have seen the folly of the man. He underrates his foes; he assumed they would run and protect Paris. But he could be wrong, as a cornered prey would look for surprises. It’s the few tricks that could turn the odds.

Maunoury's army is still fighting its way to the Ours, a little river which runs southwards into the Marne at Lizy, while I am told the British Expeditionary Force (BEF) is at the Crecy forest. They were engaging there and we were driven to the Grand Morin. That was not the only weak point of our lines. La Ferté-Gaucher, Esternay were possible weak links then. If the British do as I predicted, we would be drawn back to the Grand Morin at Coulommiers, and thus enabled D'Esperey to do the like with Von Kluck's center.

That would be cause for celebration for the enemy for Von Kluck would need to retreat on his ambition.

“Von Kluck, I am here at the Seine.” I tapped the map point and knew if I have more men, I could create a breakthrough and be in Paris sooner. If the Kaiser knew of this, I would hail as the one who did it. By then, the Generals will beg for my signature to approve their advancement. I would be hailed as the Hero. But I do not command the entire 1st Army. I am to follow orders and carried the ones given. If I am right on the weak lines between us and the 2nd Army, I could win credits for my next promotion.

"Where is my champagne?" I found or rather I confiscated that from a Feldwebel who had secured it from some cellars. The French are good winemakers, just as we make good beer and cold meat.

"Oberst, your guest is here." I turned around to received my guest.

"Mlle Elin, it’s been almost a year since I last patronize your parlor. How are you?" Madame Elin is what you would call a courtesan in the older days, but today they are known as society ladies. But nowadays, it’s not the rank or title that buys their services but the value of the money to secure their services.

"Oberst Kroner, I fear what I may offer may not be your preference."

She knew me well as, during my visits to Paris, I never failed to see her and her collection of mates for me. She knew how to pick them well and young. But I sought her here that day for something else. We discussed and this was her reply.

"But if you seek me of the intimate details of my patrons, perhaps we can negotiate some coverage arrangement. Perhaps an introduction to some of your officers who required my services. The war has dampened down the calls and the girls are getting lazy."

I smiled at her. She was a wonderful person to have at your side; she knew almost everything on how to make a man happy. And if my officers are happy, I will also be happy.

"Shall we drink to that?" She needed patrons and I needed information. Information that can tell what the officers are planning and how I can have used it against them. That includes my own officers above me.

"Perhaps you have others whom I may prefer." We both smiled at the possibility.



No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...